+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, CV personal statement section in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by localzuk I still don't believe that you should stick to one page. Not a single personnel manager ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I still don't believe that you should stick to one page. Not a single personnel manager I have met has ever said this, they all say 2 pages is the ideal. One page gives the impression that you are either a) lazy and couldn't be bothered to write a proper CV or b) under qualified and don't have enough to fill 2 pages. And this goes for 5 different personnel managers in different businesses.

Put it this way, contact details for yourself and for your references take up nearly half a page on their own.

The other information on that site is faulty too - for example a commenter asks about organising a CV by skills applicable to the post (rather than in chronological order). The response was that recruiters hate it - which is simply wrong. I know of several who do like it, as it shows the person is focussing on why they are good for the job!
    Being that we have recruiters on here what do you think about single page cv? I think opposite idea of cv is to get you into door a one page cv would in theory stand out against two page cv. what about Chronological order vrs skills order.

Saying that you argue that 2 page cv goes against standard model and then say go against standard model. Point is there maybe a few recruiters that like it order differently but for every 1 their is 5 that don't and in my view cv in not place to be creative...

I think all management advice sites have to be taken in context first one it is aimed at managers not technical staff so depends on what you want from career but saying that both Marks have very high pedigree. I think there are some good things and some bad things from advice but as whole it is good advice and do feel that resume/cv advice is spot on.

My view open floor to our recruiters..

Russ

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    What?! At school/college they tell you to include a personal statement and a lot of the on-line examples include one too.
    Thing to remember about when they teach you at school you are just starting out you so need to stuff to fill the cv but after you first job personal statement section can be scrapped.

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12