+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Network Manager Pay in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I've given up hoping for paid work, I've had over 70 interviews in the past two years and not a ...
    AXE
    Thank Post
    I've given up hoping for paid work, I've had over 70 interviews in the past two years and not a single offer. These days I offer to work for nothing as long as there is a possibility of a paid position, even if I have to sleep on the streets. Times are too tough; there really is nobody willing to offer a job.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sippo View Post
    Easily a 1500 pieces. Our LEA says all IT equipment needs to be tested yearly aswell.
    Can I give you an honest opinon here?

Thank Post
    Hi Axe, 70 interviews and not one offer???

I dont mean to sound harsh but there must be something seriously wrong with your interview technique??? One thing to remember is that if your offered an interview most employee's will have already decided that you meet the criteria to get the job. As a result it must be your interview technique which is messing things up for you. Her are some tips I recommended to a friend who was really bad at interviews and helped her in turn get a job!!!

Maybe they will help you!!

One of the key things to remember about an interview is that its main purpose is not to judge whether your qualified enough or could do the job (they would already know your qualifications from your application form), but to see how much the staff feel you would fit into the school ethos and generally how much they like you!! This might sound crazy but in all the interviews I have done the candidates who are generally friendly and enthusiastic will come away with higher scores than someone who may be more qualified but seemed to/had a bad attitude etc.

As a result it’s key to bare this in mind. When going into interviews I am always very conscious of the following:

ALL People will decide very quickly whether they like you or not! I read somewhere that first impressions are formed in less than 30 seconds and once formed its very difficult to change them! - I honestly belive this to be true! It’s really important to have good manners, to come across in friendly way and to be very enthusiastic about the role. Make sure you make plenty of eye-contact, shake hands when you greet and depart, use “please” and “thankyou’s” etc. These little things might sound trivial but they can be the difference between you and another equally qualified candidate.

Believe in yourself!! There is nothing wrong with being nervous and in fact as an interviewer I would be unsure of someone who was not. Being nervous shows you are serious about the interview and hence to the role. However make sure you appear confident in your knowledge of the job etc.

Take your time when answering questions. It’s far better to take a pause and think of an answer rather than give a rushed one. Interviewers will be far more impressed with a good answer that took you a few mins to give rather than a rushed poor one.
    Finally try to enjoy yourself! Whether you get the job or not you will learn something from the experience. Your not on trial and have nothing to lose so try and make the most of the experience. You know you can do the job all you have to do is demonstrate to them you can. With this in mind you should be fine!

4. Thanks to hillskill from:

AXE (25th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Mc View Post
    Can I give you an honest opinon here?
    *waits with baited breath...*

Thank Post
    *waits with baited breath...*
    PAT testing will be a MASSIVE pain and for that much money more the school has just saved money. We have a chap here who does the PAT testing and it is pretty much half his job, most of the year he is going around the school testing items and marking them up.

I think you have been really missold that deal and the school should know they are taking the p***.

You sounds like you know your beans but it is such an awful time to be looking for a new job and if you put the school in a position where they feel you will leave they will fill your boots easily with someone half qualified for half the money.

I worked at a primary school 3 years ago, I was on 13.7k, It was a small school 50 computers one server, email. I also did the site manager role and PAT testing. It was a nightmare and when I asked for more money I was told "there isn't any" I got a job doing some contract work in the city and went up to 39k.

You can turn it around and it was the scariest move of my life but also the best.

if you really know you are worth more, dont accept anything less!

Tony
    Last edited by witch; 20th March 2010 at 11:21 PM.

7. Thanks to Tony_Mc from:

sippo (25th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Very true Tony, I've told them that the network comes first anyhow. I can only do so much, I'll have to PAT Test when I get the chance. I only work term times aswell which is even worse!! For some reason, they don't agree with support staff working during the holidays- well paying for them to!!

Thank Post
    Very true Tony, I've told them that the network comes first anyhow. I can only do so much, I'll have to PAT Test when I get the chance. I only work term times aswell which is even worse!! For some reason, they don't agree with support staff working during the holidays- well paying for them to!!
    At our place our reprographics guy (who works term time only) does the PAT testing in the holidays. He is paid extra for that (I think he does it on a cost per item tested basis). Mind you he does say it's his hobby!

Thank Post

Back on track...

I was taken on as an ICT Tech, just moved on to SCP16-21 (16,230-18,882) but on 0.6 term-time + 3wks, so roughly 9700 pro rata.

Just me in the school looking after NOR 816 pupils, 70 staff, 170 PCs/25 laptops running M$ XP Pro/W2K, 3 servers (W2K3), 5 switches, 3 WAPs, all the usual s/w, c15 IWBs, a myriad of different printers, and all of the other peripherals.

I'm currently going through an exercise to try to get my school to recognise that a) they need someone full-time, and b) that I'm an actual NM, not a Tech - on this one I'm not worried about pay-scales, just having the recognition of the job I actually do.

Not sure how successful I'll be - county announced at the end of last week that they're "looking at the option of" a phased closure of our school starting 2011...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edcirh View Post
    I was taken on as an ICT Tech, just moved on to SCP16-21 (16,230-18,882) but on 0.6 term-time + 3wks, so roughly 9700 pro rata.

Just me in the school looking after NOR 816 pupils, 70 staff, 170 PCs/25 laptops running M$ XP Pro/W2K, 3 servers (W2K3), 5 switches, 3 WAPs, all the usual s/w, c15 IWBs, a myriad of different printers, and all of the other peripherals.

I'm currently going through an exercise to try to get my school to recognise that a) they need someone full-time, and b) that I'm an actual NM, not a Tech - on this one I'm not worried about pay-scales, just having the recognition of the job I actually do.

Not sure how successful I'll be - county announced at the end of last week that they're "looking at the option of" a phased closure of our school starting 2011...
    I am really shocked by the saleries in Secondary schools vary so much!?

if a server goes down in a school, SO MANY lessons are affected!!

why are the pay scales so messed up?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Mc View Post
    I am really shocked by the saleries in Secondary schools vary so much!?

if a server goes down in a school, SO MANY lessons are affected!!

why are the pay scales so messed up?
    Because there are no set job descriptions and people will have extra jobs put on them or moved around on a regular basis if they are not careful. And yet the vehement arguements that you get from many when you talk about standardising on jobs is extreme.

The responsibility that is assigned a job varies massively from school to school and the job reviews that go on tend to solely look at the technical aspect of the job, the managerial aspect second and rarely make reference to educational knowledge or impact.

Even if BSF wasn't hitting many people, this is one area that will be worked on in many LAs and it is not working well for people.

Thank Post
    35k here. I work in a school in London, 700 pupils, around 400 clients. Mixed windows/mac environment. Bear in mind however I was the only IT person in the whole school when I was appointed and that remained the case for 2 years until recently when I have managed to get one other technician in. I am heavily involved in project management and consultation on new buildings etc as well as in charge of the IT budgets and all IT procurement etc. Even having said that it would appear to be rather a lot compared to what I have read on here

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slacker20012 View Post
    35k here. I work in a school in London, 700 pupils, around 400 clients. Mixed windows/mac environment. Bear in mind however I was the only IT person in the whole school when I was appointed and that remained the case for 2 years until recently when I have managed to get one other technician in. I am heavily involved in project management and consultation on new buildings etc as well as in charge of the IT budgets and all IT procurement etc. Even having said that it would appear to be rather a lot compared to what I have read on here
    Does that include London weighting? ie. an extra few grand coz it's in London?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    im ok just over 18K in a secondary school, team of 3 (im not a nm) 1400 kids look after iwb, projectors, printers ,etc RESTTING PASSWORDS and everything else for the work we do i dont feel i get paid enough would i be wrong in this

Thank Post
    None of us feel we get paid enough, however, if you're not a NM, then I guess you are just an IT Technician and as such 18k is probably about average. I would expect more in London, but in the Midlands, I think this is not far off average, for a senior tech, I think you would expect to be looking at around 20k ish.

Thank Post
    In hampshire the network managers are on about 25k as a starting salary some negotiated more but the simple answer is IT pay in education is lower than industry.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast