+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Network Manager Pay in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I'm new here obviously! Saw this thread and had to join I'm currently a IT technician at a large secondary ...
    Thank Post

Wink

I'm new here obviously!

Saw this thread and had to join
    I'm currently a IT technician at a large secondary school based in kent.

we have 1600+ pupils and 200+ teaching staff with 50+ Support staff.
    We have over 900 student workstations, 50 staff workstations and 50+ student laptops with 200+ staff laptops. We run 9 servers, mostly 2k and 2k3 with an internet proxy and very confusing telephone system with over 200 phones. We have 43 HP Procurve switches across 15 cabinets all with fibre uplinks, and over 100 HP Access points over the site. 90% of our classrooms have Smart boards and projectors and we have 90 network printers.

We recently bought 115 new student workstations and 3 new servers and are migrating the entire network from RM CC3 to a standardised in-house windows 2k3 network over the 6 week summer :S. Alongside all of this we are refurbing 4 new IT rooms with ceiling, carpet, desking, paint, A/C and workstations also over the 6 weeks. Whilst also preparing to deploy our brand new frog VLE and school website.

There is one network manager
    and two technicians

turning this on its head how much would pay us annually??
    and would you say we need another member of staff?

Thanks, !

Thank Post
    bumpey bump

Thank Post
    Im on 14.5k pro rata down to about 12k supporting 250 pc's, 60 laptops, 10 servers, 15 iwbs, 40 printers, wireless, 700 pupils, 60 staff, 3 primary schools (another 100 machines and laptops), me an another tech who is on bit less than me.

Current job title is ict technician but have asked to be made network manager on bout 24k, i have hear that i am not going to get this but be made senior ict tech on about 13k as there is no money in the school.

However a member of staff was offered another job at a local school so he was offered more money and new job title to stay took it, other school then offered him more money so he was offered promotion and another pay rise here!!! So yeh there is no money!!! Said member of staff is now head of ICT and couldnt organise a pi55 up in a brewery when it comes to IT.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazzaman123 View Post

we have 1600+ pupils and 200+ teaching staff with 50+ Support staff.
    We have over 900 student workstations, 50 staff workstations and 50+ student laptops with 200+ staff laptops.
    We recently bought 115 new student workstations

There is one network manager
    and two technicians
    Does this mean in total there are just three of you to support over 1300 workstations?

That does seem like a massive number of machines for three staff.

That just seems infeasible.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Does this mean in total there are just three of you to support over 1300 workstations?

That does seem like a massive number of machines for three staff.

That just seems infeasible.

well 1300 physical workstations not that they all work... Myself and one of the other technicinans spend most of the day rebuilding broken workstations and laptops whilst also trying to juggle the standard user/level 1 replated problems.

We just about manage to do it, but its very stressful!

I thinks we do need another guy/gal really

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sippo View Post
    Me?

I'm on 21k. Secondary school in Oxon.
    Your on more than me, i'd kill for that. And i have 2 technicians to manage

Thank Post

ICT managers Pay

This is what worked for me, started on about 18K 3 years ago upgraded the schools infrastructure helped them developed their MIS Systems, Electronic Registration, Reporting\Assessment sysetems. Then just explained the situation to Management that if I was to break my leg or have an accident or moved job as I was the only one who Managed and understood these systems they have issues. Extra Pay suddenly appeared and also another Technician to help out now on just over 28K.

I think the answer is to try to make yourself as Indispensible as possible, then if you don't feel you are getting what you are worth move.

Thank Post
    While i sort of agree with you any school that lets someone become indispensible or irreplaceable is walking on very thin ice, what if you had an accident tomorrow and never came back (I know that you’ve remedied this now but in the past they were leaving themselves exposed). While the school i work for consider me important enough to offer me a career break the reason that they are able to offer it is that we can plan to cover my job with the current team and a student to take up the slack. Basically no one member of the team is totally irreplaceable.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 4th July 2008 at 09:20 PM.

Thank Post

ICT Manager Pay

You're right no one is or should be indispensible or irreplacable that is the reason they have got someone else in which is I should of said was at my suggestion. But you have to show your worth and hopefully this is recognised which of course is not always the case.

Thank Post
    Yes you are right some schools manage to avoid the wake up call for some time then one day it all goes wrong and they find they need to spend some hard cash, i've seen a couple of good examples.

Thank Post
    Using your ICT skills to get the most of assessment/reporting/pupil tracking etc can help a lot.

A lot of the technical work I have done in present job ie migrate old (single label!!!!)domain and rebuild a new domain. Setup new 4 subnet network with new switches and routers. Install Exchange, squid, moodle, etc etc is not fully understood, but it is always worth pointing out how much a third party would charge for the some of the work that you do.

But getting back to my first point by focusing on core activities relating to staff and pupils ie assessments can be a good one to start with then the SLT will be able to see a lot more clearly that your input is helping the school progress.

Where as having an ultra efficient network with very little down time, does not map very clearly to their own objectives for improving attainment etc. Moodle/VLE is another good one and it something that has a direct impact on teaching and learning.

Getting the most out of the school MIS also helps to achieve a good working relationship with key members of staff in the school.

Hope my post makes sense as writing in a rush.

12. Thanks to monkeyx from:

simpsonj (2nd November 2009)

Thank Post
    Post completely makes sense I am currently working on helping with the VLE with staff and the IT technician is helping out the timetabler with time tabling. Completely agree with you senior management don't always understand benefits of the development of the infrastructure. But more easily see benefts to development of other systems in the school.

Thank Post
    Pay rise request got turned because 'you need to be able to demonstrate a much greater involvement in the curriculum which means getting more involved with students and indeed supporting lessons etc'.

What a farce! I am not a happy chappy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Greater involvement in the curriculum does not just mean hands-on work in classrooms or with students.

It can also mean that you are educationally aware and work with departments / teachers to make sure they are using the right kit in the right way to maximise the impact ICT has on T&L, etc ...

Some places to start on this ...

All IT orders from departments come through you. You discuss and plan for the curriculum needs rather than letting anyone buy anything they want because they think it is a good idea. To allow you to do this you have to get a chunk of research done beforehand. Have alook at the various research projects into technology in schools. Find examples of what works and see if there are similarities in the curriculum between your school and the successful schools.

Look at the latest Govt targets / agenda for technology. Find out how the curriculum needs to change to fit around these and work / find out hos technology can be used as a tool for this. Obvious examples are VLEs / Learning platforms and MIS.

Attend Middle Leader training (for heads of Department). Get yourself recognised as a HoD so that people will treat you with the same 'expert' status as teh head of English or Science might have. If you can't get that then the status of AST is a similar equivalent and also allows you to be innovative and explore new ideas.

Finally, documentation is wonderful for evidence. Make sure you have the 'information' about what you do, how you do it and why it is set up that way (with as many references to IT being embedded in the school).

Try to be part of your school's ICT vision ... ICT Mark is good for this as it is not just one person working on it but a range of people.

Thank Post
    The most annoying thing is the attitude of my boss and the deputy. They aknowledge all my hardwork, how the school has moved forward IT wise, how well the network is running yet they don't to pay me what I feel I'm worth.

This is so frustrating. Time to look elsewhere. The same job role, in the same county is 6k more than I'm on!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast