+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Network Manager in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I have an interview at a secondary school for network manager. I have been in the educational it trade for ...

Thank Post

Network Manager

I have an interview at a secondary school for network manager. I have been in the educational it trade for 4 years and my interview for my current post was very short and easy (30 mins long). This one is for a full day broken up as:

ICT assessment of some kind.
    tour of the school
    Short interview
    Lunch
    Rejected candidates sent home
    Longer interview

Does any one know what to expect?

Any help would be great

Thank Post
    I guess the ICT Assessment will be either written test or practical test but best to plan for both! Oh and when I interviewed for my current job, my test was to plan a budget!
    I would look at the job spec for clues as to what the test will be about i.e. if they state that the essential skills are say server 2003 / Exchange 2007 etc then that is a good place to do a bit of revision.
    Good luck!

Thank Post
    It is one of those. as the last nm has been got rid of so to speak, so i think they are going to be very tough this time if it is techie i will be ok as i am good enough on that. the budgeting i need to do some work on. They do mention policies quite a bit in the descriptions i have. but have anouther read of them in a bit

Thank Post
    Review the job specs carefully and concentrate on the essential skills that they specify as needing. Be careful with policies. Do they mean system policies or school policies?
    If it was me, I would also ask what happened to the last NM! Not much point accepting a job if you are not confident that you can deliver what they want.
    As far as planning a budget goes, again, read the job specs. If they seem like the kind of school that is happy with what they have got, it is probably not adviseable to plan a budget around implimenting lots of new technology. If however they seem to be crying out for new ideas then you have an opportunity to impress them with some ideas.
    Good luck buddy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by everton4europe View Post
    It is one of those. as the last nm has been got rid of so to speak, so i think they are going to be very tough this time if it is techie i will be ok as i am good enough on that. the budgeting i need to do some work on. They do mention policies quite a bit in the descriptions i have. but have anouther read of them in a bit
    I had no experience of budgeting and policies (except the basic ones) when I got my NM job. I think I got my job because of enthusiasm and where I said I could take the school forward. They like buzz words but I was smiling when they mentioned all their plans as I was excited and I think it came across.

Don't worry about the budgetting and policies, you will pick them up and if your bursar is a good un he will help you out.

Be professional, personable and enthusiastic. Your not going to know all the answers but make sure your not just doing the yes and no crap.

Actually I think I got my job because I am a cyclist and the previous guy liked that Can't help you with that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    Actually I think I got my job because I am a cyclist and the previous guy liked that Can't help you with that.
    Agreed! Got a job a while ago 'cos I played guitar! Apparently, it was the one thing that seperated me from the other applicants!

btw... in case you are wondering....that is not the ONLY reason I got the job!

smc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by everton4europe View Post
    I have an interview at a secondary school for network manager. I have been in the educational it trade for 4 years and my interview for my current post was very short and easy (30 mins long). This one is for a full day broken up as:

ICT assessment of some kind.
    tour of the school
    Short interview
    Lunch
    Rejected candidates sent home
    Longer interview

Does any one know what to expect?

Any help would be great
    I went through the same process almost 10 years ago.Found it strange. They let me know abour 2 hours after the interview, at home by phone. But each one different I guess. But normally for a school you know the same day.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread