+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Interview Questions / Abbreviations Help in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi All. This is my 1st post and I apologise if these questions have been asked before. Wednesday I have ...
    Thank Post

Interview Questions / Abbreviations Help

Hi All.

This is my 1st post and I apologise if these questions have been asked before.

Wednesday I have an interview coming up in a local CofE High School, Accrington. I came across the forums through google, and have looked through as many as I could! Job spec is "IT Technician"

I have some questions if someone can help?

What does SMT stand for? And SLT? I saw both terms in the forums.

I have looked at the BECTA web site to find out if they define it and I have tried google define:smt and define:SLT but no joy.

Interview sheet says there will be a 15 minute practical test. I have been trying to work out if it will be a practical in terms of messing around with broken PCs, making cat 5 or 6 cables, switch configuraation, or something with AD or another server... I have done MCSA in 2k but it was a year or three ago and I don't use it in my current role. Been reading directory services admin book just in case. Job description and person spec don't mention any servers explicitly but mentions email accounts.

I am doing a BSc in computing at present so hopefully that will count in my favour. One of the things I put on the application form was that I was interesting in developing an IT eqpt database as at my current place has nothing in place, non-standardised machines, etc.

It's hopefully going to be my 1st desktop support job, as I have only done helpdesk work so far - though my current role is a 2nd line job with remote diags and access, it's bespoke software.

Hoping to do well as can build a pc and install an OS in less than a couple hours. Have 4 years technical experience in the work place and 5+ years home enthusiast before that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    SMT = Senior Management Team (Principal, Assistant Principal, Deputy Principal and possibly Senior teachers - New Zealand names for positions used)

I'm not sure on the other one myself, anyhow good luck at your interview.

What the choose to test you on will be entirely dependent on the school but hopefully they will keep it within the job description that they have posted.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

NickHoughton (5th May 2008)

Thank Post
    SLT = senior leadership team. Ours comprises the head, deputy heads, assistant heads and bursar.

5. Thanks to meastaugh1 from:

NickHoughton (5th May 2008)

Thank Post

Thanks

Thanks for responses.

I will let you know how it goes on Wednesday PM.

Regards
    N

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The move at the moment is to talk about leadership rather than just management (which is only one aspect of leadership).

Majority of Govt speak will be about 'leaders' ... leading from the middle, strategic leadership of ICT, etc ...

I still tend to use the phrase 'senior manglement' ... because I can as I am ...

8. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

NickHoughton (6th May 2008)

Thank Post
    4 years experience and a self-study BSc is more than enough for the role of IT Technician. I suggest that you just chill and try and enjoy the experience

10. Thanks to Ravening_Wolf from:

Thank Post

You're probably right

You are probably right

Just worried about lack of commercial desktop support experience.

Am doing HNC and BSc at same time actually but getting merits/distinctions so far on average.

Hoping they will let me get my foot in the door.

I will be taking a 3k pay cut - can't decide if that's worth mentioning.

Trying to think of some good questions to ask:

Was going ask about change management, external training, if they'd let me do day release so as to finish BSc quicker, perception and impact of BSF (they are an independent church school).

Had an interview at another school recently and excelled in the theory test but was let down by lack of educational experience. Wondering what questions they might ask...

Thank Post
    If its a technicians role then the task will probably something simple, like adding a use in AD or installing a network printer...

Shouldn't be anything to worry about

13. Thanks to jamin100 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickHoughton View Post
    perception and impact of BSF (they are an independent church school).
    They will be largely (if not entirely) untouched by BSF if they are independent. Independent schools will often follow the lead of the maintained ones, but only where it seems like a good idea. Therefore....... :-)

15. Thanks to enjay from:

Thank Post

Day of Reckoning

Well

Today is crunch day. Scary dreams last night - dreamt that I had been to the interview but couldn't remember it (note to self, no whisky at lunch time). My wife and mother said it had gone well, but then I woke up with a dead leg LOL.

I have done loads of prep and hopefully the practical test will be pretty simple.

Made a little card with the UTP wiring diagrams on it as I always get mixed up!

I will post more later...
    Interview is 2pm.
    Last edited by NickHoughton; 7th May 2008 at 07:28 AM. Reason: updated notes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good Luck Mate

James

Thank Post

better luck next time

Hi All

Here were the technical tasks from the interview:

Join computer to domain.

Map network printer - who'd have thought the local printer option would be what was needed?! Of course if it was published in AD the network option would've been fine.

Once that was done (and I was the only person who did it)
    there were 5 mixed questions. Pretty standard but one through me a bit.

1 - What is group policy, and what if any use would it be to a school?

2 - Basically a priority question - headmaster can't get email, teacher can't get laptops online - who is first?

3 - Give a summary of AD

4 - Someone can't get on the network as they forgot their password, what do you do?

5 - Question about what is shadow copies. Had to make this one up so made a guess and then gave some websites I could check to confirm.

Actual interview was with 4 people, asst head, NM, head of school of IT and purchasing director.

Technical questions focussed on software tuition, back up and AV s/w.

Non technical questions were about how you manage your time, priorities,
    what to do if a brat was on a p0rn site.

Questions I asked were about their plans for becoming 11-18 sci and tech college (they are 11-16 atm) and their perceived impact of BSF, and if they thought that my lack of experience in the an educational support environment would hinder me. They said not.

Unfortunately they didn't pick me, I was 2nd out of 11 (though only 5 made it to interview) In the feedback session they said that they said I interviewed well, came across as being organised, and excelled technically. They picked a younger lad (I am 27) who had been working at another school for 4 years already. They did re-iterate that my lack of experience didn't hinder but the other candidate's experience was what tipped it. I suppose I could've BSed them but what would the point.

So, unless the candidate fails CRB check or declines the job I am stuck where I am - shame.

Hope this thread proves useful to future candidates. Moving forward, since I am only in the office alternate weeks, I am going to try and get some voluntary work in a local primary school or something. Or maybe at the institution I've been at today over the summer. Even if I have to pay the CRB clearing fees.

Thank Post
    thans for the info nick....sounds like you did yourself justice, but just goes to show relevant experience is key for a lot of job vacancies.

I've managed to get into final interviews and top 2/3 choice candidate on the back of my product knowledge and ability to think clearly under pressure.

But in most cases in the past i've fallen at the last hurdle because of the x factor (xperience).

The question about head vs teacher is an interesting one, obviously the correct answer is getting to the teacher first to ensure there are no technology related disruptions during lesson....

but some ( a small minority i'm sure) of less than competent network managers make sure the head is serviced at all costs to hide the fact they're networks are crap....many heads can't see beyond the tip of they're nose when it comes to IT in the organisation, so if in they're world everything works it distracts they're attention away for where the real problems are....

as i said a small minority

Thank Post

candidate selection

Yeah, I did OK and I was pleased with my performance.

And, really, I can't blame them for picking the other person. Just wondered why they shortlisted me.

The other candidates were from different background.

One supply teacher who worked in IT in 80's.
    One techie at a library/community centre.
    One laptop repair guy from Bolton.
    One existing IT techie.
    And well, me.

They also said in the feedback that they were worried I wouldn't be challenged enough by the post. Which I was quick to set them straight about!

Hope he declines the job.
    Last edited by NickHoughton; 7th May 2008 at 07:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Shame mate, feel for you, been there myself a few times this year and it sucks really, but fingers crossed on the next vacancy!

22. Thanks to john from:

NickHoughton (7th May 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast