+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, MCSE/MCSA? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi all, just joined the forums after seeing the site on google - very useful stuff! I'm an IT Technician ...
    Thank Post

MCSE/MCSA?

Hi all, just joined the forums after seeing the site on google - very useful stuff!

I'm an IT Technician in a North London high school at the moment and am just wondering whether it's worth getting a qualification such as an MCSE/MCSA? Also, is it pointless getting a qualification lower than those?

We have an RM network but I also don't have an RM technicians qualification (yet... thinking of getting it). I do on the other hand have a few years experiences and an honours degree in Microcomputer Systems Technology... how does this all weigh up?

Hope someone can give me an insight :-)

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    everyone seems to have microsoft quals and I don't think it really means anything to have them anymore!! (well... it does...) Experience + Quals is most important. Go on a few courses and get the certificates... thats what I do!

3. Thanks to Joanne from:

speckytecky (29th April 2008)

Thank Post
    Have a look at the similar threads and do a bit of a search around as well on here there is many a topic on this sort of thing.
    These days the certs seem to get you past the HR filter but might not mean much past that. Experience is the key and experience and quals are even better. You can do one exam and become an MCP. This might help you when applying for jobs as this will get you past the 'Must have an MCP' type of job ads.
    Alternatively look at other things like foundation degrees etc.

Thank Post
    Get an MCP, then you can move to MCSA, and build up to an MCSE.

You also need to think outside the MS-box, so consider a CCNA.

More important is to concentrate on experience however.

6. Thanks to Diello from:

Thank Post
    the mcse/a awards are made up of mcp's. Each mcp covers a different topic. Like every qualification you can get the certificate without really understanding the subject. My view is that it prepares you to use the skills in real life and gain the experience ( in the same way you'd read a manual before you do any job).

have a look at the mcp's available and think about where you would like to go.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...3/default.mspx

8. Thanks to strawberry from:

Thank Post
    Dont know if its just a local thing, but CCNA seems to be fairly uncommon round here, well compared to MCSA. I know of a few lads who have been massively favoured by having a CCNA, even if the job has nothing to do with networks nevermind cisco kit.

10. Thanks to j17sparky from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Dont know if its just a local thing, but CCNA seems to be fairly uncommon round here, well compared to MCSA. I know of a few lads who have been massively favoured by having a CCNA, even if the job has nothing to do with networks nevermind cisco kit.
    A lot of colleges are doing CCNA as part of their colllege course. Wish mine did when I went . Mind you they only got a network wide internet connection in my second year :P

12. Thanks to ChrisH from:

Thank Post
    I have been a technician for 4 half years now and am currently doing a Network + course and self studying for MCDST my school is paying for it all. I did look at ways of doing a course for an MCSA but it seems to expensive so once I have finished my current I intend to try and teach myself an MCSA.

I have no idea wether its entirely neccesary to have all of the qualifications but jobs outside of Education seem to require one or some plus experiance.

14. Thanks to HMCTech from:

Thank Post
    As the school I'm with are in the middle of BSF I don't think they're likely to spend money for me to bag myself an MS qualification - and they're a lil too expensive too.

I did buy (on eBay ahem!) CD's with the technical training documents for the qualifications which have been useful and interesting and I've got plenty of experience using exchange, server 2003 etc... but I guess like you said - HR frown upon those that don't tick all the right boxes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread