+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Bham City Council Strike - 23/24 April in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi, I just heard about this strike on the radio. Is any persons school on this forum affected by this? ...

Thank Post

Bham City Council Strike - 23/24 April

Hi, I just heard about this strike on the radio. Is any persons school on this forum affected by this? I dont know if mine is but Ive only been there a week. On a wider point, this pay and grading review going on, does anyone know how it will affect School ICT Technicians/Network Managers, etc.?

I read somewhere that some ppl could have their wages cut in half, but the council say 48% of ppl would receive pay rises. Could be quite interesting times for everyone involved. Ive come from the private sector to work in this school and as such have taken a pay drop, I really cannot afford to take another one.

Thank Post
    Whilst I don't think your salary will be halved you may well lose some money from this. From what I gather, the amount of money in the pot to pay all council workers will remain roughly the same, so if 48% of people are going to get a pay rise, someone has to lose out, and since the chief executives of all these councils can't take a pay cut as they'd all jump ship and go back to private industry (and where would we be then?), the money has to come from somewhere.
    I hope this hasn't dampened your Saturday evening.

Thank Post
    I would have to think twice. People have mortgages to pay, bills to pay etc. these prices are going up, yet they want to put the wages down? what a joke. i would definately think twice if my pay was reduced. iwas speaking to someone in my school who was talking about single status and the technicans could possibly get a 2000 rise. not sure how true that is.

Thank Post
    I dont think you have too much to worry about if only started a week ago.

Education is different to the rest of the Birminghams single status. They have split it into 2. Industry are striking because some people have lost out on pay and have been striking at least 1 day a month for the last few months.

Education is different because the council won't decide your pay, it will be the governors of your school. The council have published a table of grades and points and there is a recommended salary but the governors can pay you what they want within that scale. Many people will not lose at all as they will be on the same.

The fund for the money is a difficult one as the school pays for your wages so if you receive back pay the school would pay for it. I don't think you will be able to get back pay if you only started last week. It is also up to the school if they decide to back pay - they don't have to if they dont want to. This again is somthing that unions are talking about - who pays the back pay!

Education still hasn't been sorted out (the last I heard - schools may not have to have it implemented now until December 2008). There are still some arguements regarding single status to do with the teaching assistants. Its complicated but they have a contract set up in 2004 which allows them to work less hours but be on the same wages as a normal worker like yourself.

I believe your school would have put you on the new grading system. Information was sent out to schools regarding the pay structure so they have put you on that. Personally - I think you will be fine.

Do you think I could go on strike to get dental cover - my tooth is killing and haven't slept all night ;-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread