+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Looking for I.T work London/royston/cambridge/letchworth (or near to them) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Looking for apprenticeship/job i live in royston will travel as far as London. Quick summery of me My name Anthony ...

Thank Post

Looking for I.T work London/royston/cambridge/letchworth (or near to them)

Looking for apprenticeship/job i live in royston will travel as far as London.

Quick summery of me

My name Anthony Reeder i live in Royston I'm 17,
    I am looking for a I.T base job/apprenticeship,
    Since ive left school ive been trying to get work in I.T as i have grown up around them and have a natural
    talent to pick things up on computers very fast and efficiently. Since i can remember ive allways used
    and been good with computers and ive allways wanted to learn more about them my dad is a I.T manager
    for a bank in London called Bank Saderat PLC (formally none as IOIB), ive been to many
    1 day I.T schemes when i was little and have 3 B gcse grades in Dida. Although i do live in Royston
    Thanks for taking the time to read. If you would like to contacted me my e-mail address is copperhaxor@gmail.com or leave a comment with your e-mail address and i will send you my CV at the moment i am working in retail (tesco superstores) and i am earning minimum wage.

Thank Post
    @cornishpasty: It might also be an idea to find a college that will offer the relevant NVQ for your apprenticeship because many have existing links with places which are happy to take people on.

Thank Post
    As a gentle suggestion - if you're looking for employment - checking your spelling & punctuation before posting might give a better impression.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    As a gentle suggestion - if you're looking for employment - checking your spelling & punctuation before posting might give a better impression.
    lol, i wasnt thinking that. Honest. Seriously though, always check spelling and grammar. Also if you've decided that academia isn't the route for you check out professional certifications, such as MCSE, CCNA, etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also, if you want to appear more professional to a potential employer, a different email address than 'copperhaxor' may be in order

omgwtfhax!

And you could do a lot worse than type stuff up in Word (and let it do it's auto spelling and grammar check) then paste into other things. Like forums

Good luck dude.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @cornishpasty: It might also be an idea to find a college that will offer the relevant NVQ for your apprenticeship because many have existing links with places which are happy to take people on.
    Agreed.

We have had apprentices here which the local college have arranged for us.
    Find the nearest college that runs an IT course and see if they can offer you some advice.

Otherwise, register with some websites like Jobsite or Monster and use keywords like apprentice or junior.

Also, you may want to think about maybe getting a weekend job at the local computer shop. I know it is probably not what you are looking for but at least it will give you some hands on experience and will look good on the CV.

Good luck!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cornishpasty View Post
    Looking for apprenticeship/job i live in royston will travel as far as London.
    One idea might be to look around for a smaller company or startup - there'll be lots in the Cambridge area (several in the old station buildings at the stations between Royston and Cambridge). The Cambridge colleges sometimes hire IT staff, as do the private schools. Look at the Evening News jobs supplement when it comes out (Tursdays still?).

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by GlennT
    Also, you may want to think about maybe getting a weekend job at the local computer shop.
    Computer Resale, Mill Road, Cambridge (near the sports centre), would be an excellent place to work if they're looking for anyone.

--
    David Hicks
    Last edited by dhicks; 16th April 2008 at 04:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am 17, and I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. I found it very hard to get a job in IT took me about 5 months. I did allot of voluntary work for 5 months and before that whilst at school to gain valuable experience.

I also did my A+ and N+ and have been studying MCSA and CCNA and will take the exams shortly.

I wanted to work in the education Sector part of a school/college but never really got anywhere with that. There were not many vacancies in Birmingham to be honest was on all the council sites and nothing ever came up just a few Network Manager jobs that were just way out of my reach. but now I work for a company called Bristol Street Motors which most people have heard of providing 2nd and 3rd Line Support which fits me perfect and i am only 17 and young 17 at that.

I advise you pop into your local college and see if you can get on the A+ and N+ courses whilst doing that keep an eye on the job listings and maybe get on some agency's books that might help. Also I am sure if you speak to your college they will be able to advise you what to do

Sorry for the SA. Just know itís hard to get a job in IT at a young age

James

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Also, if you want to appear more professional to a potential employer, a different email address than 'copperhaxor' may be in order
    I agree with that it always helps.. like mine for example...

Jevans@james-network.com and i have an Admin@james-network.com funny some people used to say noo i want your personal email not your work one hence becuase it said "Admin" lol

always helps though

James

Thank Post

helpful

You have all been very helpful, i am going to go get a hair cut then go down to stevenidge and i am going to go apply for game, and game station, and similar shops like that for a part time job and at the same time i am going to talk to CRC college and north hearts college and ask about those a+ n n+ courses. After reading your reply i do feel a bit more confident that i can do it, will reply tomorrow if i think i got anywhere today.

The only problem with college is i messed up my GCSE's apart from 3 b's in i.c.t the rest were all E's i did not get accepted for a motor mechanics course last year so im worried i won't still.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some colleges may let you in regardless, so don't worry too much. I know for definite that if you're keen and dedicated, they'll be less concerned about your previous qualifications. Obviously it'll make their decision easier if you have better grades, but it's not the end of the world buddy.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cornishpasty View Post
    The only problem with college is i messed up my GCSE's apart from 3 b's in i.c.t the rest were all E's i did not get accepted for a motor mechanics course last year so im worried i won't still.
    You can always offer to resit Maths, that is the main one required for IT courses. If you would like to go to college, look at vocational courses such as national diplomas or national certificates. As previously said professional certifications are also good. A+, and Network+ are fairly basic and would give you a good base to build on. Doing the course at a college shouldnt be too expensive. Having the certs also shows employers your skills. If you can get a trial version of server 2003 to install and play about with look at buying the books for the MCP/MCSA/MCSE. 1 exam = Microsoft Certified Professional, 4 = Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator, 7 = Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. I wouldnt look at doing the course for these as they are expensive and i'm assuming that paying £1500 for each exam isnt likely. Buying the book then paying £88 for the exam works out a lot more cost effective!

Good luck with it.

Thank Post
    If you're doing CCNA/CCNP route make sure you can count...preferrably in binary (joking...you get taught that bit).

I have terrible troubles with my maths and that made learning to subnet a bit awkward to begin with. I also failed my maths module last semester because I've just never been any good at basic maths...then they go and stick me with laplace and z transforms!

Thank Post
    You might even want to have a look at this

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/178829-post1.html

Thank Post

success

i have joined a I.T based agency in stevenidge and im told there is a apprenticeship vacancy there are a couple of people going for it but i got a meeting with some girl on monday so fingers crossed ^.^

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread