+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, New job in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi everyone Ive got a new job as an IT Support technician I start on Monday 14th April. Can anyone ...

Thank Post

New job

Hi everyone Ive got a new job as an IT Support technician I start on Monday 14th April. Can anyone give me any tips and pointers on what I might expect and peoples experiences from their first day at work.

Thank Post
    congrats.

My advice is not to worry if you don't feel like you fit in or don't understand exactly what's going on. We're all like that for the first week or two. It's important to remain positive, and before long you'll be an old hand with the job and at dealing with you're colleagues.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    is it in a school or a company?

z

Thank Post
    Its in a school. Im just abit wary of the teachers and how to interact with them. Do you call them by their first name or surname? Ive never worked in a school so dont know what to expect in terms of what i will be doing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We call them by there first name but in front of a class or students by there surname. Some times its hard to remember or if you forget there surname because you are used to first name terms.

Thank Post
    You tend to call them by there first name when there are no students around and always, from my experience call tme by there surnames when there are students/parents present.

However, if its a more casual school that may not be the case. I would play it safe to begin with, they should give you the staff handbook to have a look trough on your first day etc, and if all else fails, do what the rest do.

Thank Post
    Imagine walking into a class of students and saying Sue you called?

Thank Post
    Followed by all the kids then using that name for the rest of the term and using the excuse, 'Well sir called you Sue... Sue!'

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayaz View Post
    Its in a school. Im just abit wary of the teachers and how to interact with them. Do you call them by their first name or surname? Ive never worked in a school so dont know what to expect in terms of what i will be doing.
    As someone else has said, infront of pupils it's probably best to refer to them by surname, out of pupil earshot and in other one to one dealings use first names. You're all grown ups after all.

I'll tell you a couple of faux pas that i did when i got my first job in IT. On my first day i was with a couple of the other team members in the office and it had only been a few hours since i started. The other guys were really laid back but not particularly helpful. I was feeling very unsure of myself, so it's mid morning and i get up turn to one of the other guys and i say 'i'm just going to the toilet' because for some reason i thought i had to tell them that....he looks at me utterly bemused, noticing his reaction i quickly try and rescue the situation...'er where abouts is the gents ?' i ask.
    he then tells me where the first floor toilet is located...phew. I realised then that i didn't need to tell them my every move and that i was working in an adult environment and there was going to be no hand holding or a**hat managers monitoring how long you were going to tke on you're lunch break.

The other thing i did was not go out with the rest of the team for lunch on the first Friday when the ENTIRE IS team was there and ready to go. I felt like a sore thumb the whole week and it was my own nervousness that decided it was going to keep me infront of my PC while the other p***ed off down the pub for an hour and a half. idiot.

Thank Post
    Good examples Torledo, that brings back memories of my first day too. Oooow the pain!!!

I like to live by the say of 'Go out on a limb - That is where the fruit is'. In other words, if they ask if you wanna go out somewhere, say yes, your all grown ups and your own person, at the ned of the day, you have legs, you can always return. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable, but it can be a positiive to go out of your comfort zone every now and then.

Thank Post
    The only thing is I dont drink alcohol and would prefer to not go into a pub. So if they ask me to goto lunch with them (unlikely I would have thought as there are always lessons on) I dont want them to think Im not a team member and all that.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just tell them it will be fine, im sure they would be fine with the situation

Thank Post
    The only thing is I dont drink alcohol and would prefer to not go into a pub. So if they ask me to goto lunch with them (unlikely I would have thought as there are always lessons on) I dont want them to think Im not a team member and all that.
    That's fair enough Ayaz, but as you said it's unlikely school techs would make going out for a pub lunch a regular thing.

I don't drink either, but i have no qualms about going to a nice little country pub for a bite to eat with the team. They couldn't be more removed from the ghastly chain pubs you find on high streets or in city centres. Think of them less as a 'pub' more as an informal restaurant where they happen to serve alcohol.

Thank Post
    I dont' not drink, i just prefer to not drink when i have the car, if you drive and have a car, try using that as an excuse, and try and take the car where possible, offer to give them a lift to the pub or whatever, the driver never drinks afterall!

Thank Post
    Imagine walking into a class of students and saying Sue you called?
    That's the sort of treatment i get from the teachers at my school, "ah derek, can you sort this out" etc.

they never use my surname, in fact the majority of them do not know it and i've been there 3 years.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information