+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, CRB check initiated by applicant in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Is it possible for someone to initiate a CRB check on themselves, either before or while applying for new jobs? ...

Thank Post

CRB check initiated by applicant

Is it possible for someone to initiate a CRB check on themselves, either before or while applying for new jobs?

This might be a way of shortening the whole application process for jobs in this sector. Having to wait for the new employer to the start check may stretch things out a bit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Problem is CRB's not transferable so you must have new one for each employment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Problem is CRB's not transferable so you must have new one for each employment.
    Fair enough. I suppose this wouldn't be so much of a problem if you are tied to a particular agency as they would be the employer.

Transferability between direct employers isn't that much of problem either. It would just be useful to a have CRB clearance certification available during job hunting. This would then be tied to the employer you finally end up with. The process would then start again if you were to change employers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    fyi

To do a crb check yourself very easy all need to do is find what they call umbrella agencie. Pay your money and they will process it for you.

http://www.crb.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=349
    Over transfer of crb see here

http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=2244

Also a school comes under the POCA act.

Russ

Thank Post

CRB check on yourself?

I don't think it is that easy.
    The only way to get a CRB check on yourself is to join an agency.
    Umbrella bodies cannot be used by individuals to get a check on themselves.
    see here;
    http://www.crb.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=289&qid=506

I think the whole system would be wide open to abuse if individuals, rather than employers, were able to get checks on themselves.

Thank Post
    Maybe Im missing something but when I started my job the CRB check didnt slow things down at all?
    I started work within a couple of weeks and got the paperwork for the CRB a few weeks after that

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Arr my mistake they have changed law (use to be able to).

@sidewinder

Yes few years ago people joined crb was done and you worked at place until crb came through.

Problem is know due to various reasons schools can no longer have someone be alone with a child unless they have been crb checked. To point where they can't allow someone to potentially put into that situation. So for example caretaker starting a job might be asked to come in at 4 after students gone until his crb had been done.

Main thing here is in schools crbs can not be transferred and have to renewed every so often (you will find lot of la's are starting off the process of rechecking everybody).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes few years ago people joined crb was done and you worked at place until crb came through.

Problem is know due to various reasons schools can no longer have someone be alone with a child unless they have been crb checked. To point where they can't allow someone to potentially put into that situation. So for example caretaker starting a job might be asked to come in at 4 after students gone until his crb had been done.
    Nope, they still can. The school still hire people without a crb and let them work, pending a crb. It is at the discretion of the school - I was hired in this way 18 months ago, and the rules don't appear to have changed since.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Reread my post

First has been some law changes

As said they can hire but but over riding rule is no one (this is law) no can be alone with a child unless they have been crb'd.

So while school could hire you and then get you crb'd you are not allowed to be alone with any child. Problem lies in the fact school could be liable by allowing you to be in that position in first place (I put it to you that impossible to work in a school and not at some point be alone with a child)

So most schools hire people and then until crb comes through limit the contact you have with students in various ways (working hours etc)

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reread my post

First has been some law changes

As said they can hire but but over riding rule is no one (this is law) no can be alone with a child unless they have been crb'd.

So while school could hire you and then get you crb'd you are not allowed to be alone with any child. Problem lies in the fact school could be liable by allowing you to be in that position in first place (I put it to you that impossible to work in a school and not at some point be alone with a child)

So most schools hire people and then until crb comes through limit the contact you have with students in various ways (working hours etc)
    When did this law change? I was told that it is completely upto the LEA and the school, as it is policy based. I was taken on full-time, with contact with children, on my own too, before a crb had come through.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I will see if can found info for you..

Russ

Thank Post
    I was hired in a school for kitchen assistant and i was told they really are clamping down now, you cant start work till your crb comes through. Anyway 7 weeks later it arrives and i start work. Now another person has started in same job and department as me and there still waiting for crb to come through, they are allowed to serve children on food counter but not go into dining area. This seems to me to be all wrong but i don't know where to go to complain.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Interesting that this thread has re-emmerged today as there was this announced today:

Quote Originally Posted by CRB website
    News item: Portability of CRB Checks
    20 October 2010

As part of the Government Spending Review announced today, the CRB will be adopting an idea suggested by the public through the Spending Challenge process.

The department will make it possible for employers to share CRB checks, reducing the need for multiple checks. The Government aims to introduce legislation in the Freedom Bill once detailed proposals have been modelled, developed and tested.

Today’s announcement does not pre-empt the criminal records and vetting and barring regime review.
    So looks like some level of portability for CRBs will be coming back in the near future

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deerwood View Post
    I think the whole system would be wide open to abuse if individuals, rather than employers, were able to get checks on themselves.
    I don't get it. The outcome of the CRB check is the same regardless of who requests it.
    Last edited by Arthur; 21st October 2010 at 12:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Interesting that this thread has re-emmerged today as there was this announced today:

So looks like some level of portability for CRBs will be coming back in the near future
    About time too. I've got 3 current CRBs at the moment for different organisations!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast