+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Overtime salary Rate in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; My contract says that I should be working 36 hours/week and I have 4 weeks holiday per a year. I ...

Thank Post

Overtime salary Rate

My contract says that I should be working 36 hours/week and I have 4 weeks holiday per a year. I bleleive my overtime salary rate should be calculated as follows:
    36 * 48 = 1728 hours in a year
    TOTAL SALARY/1728 = ?

But they have calculated my salary based on 52 weeks rather than 48 (minus holidays) weeks.
    36 * 52 = 1872 hours in a year >> this calculation reduces my hourly rate big time

Could someone tell me how overtime salary rates are calculated. Is it based on 52 weeks or (52 - 4 weeks holiday = 48).

sorry if you dont find this confusing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It won't be 52 - 4 weeks holiday = 48. Becuase thats 4 weeks paid holiday.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 8th March 2008 at 12:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Not really sure what you're saying here. Presumably you are term time only so you'll get paid for 39 or 40 weeks of term (depending on Inset days) + 4 weeks holiday + 2 weeks of bank holidays.

So you get

40+4+2 = 46 weeks. Therefore you get 46/52 of the full year salary for your post. Overtime rate should be based on the full year salary so it shouldn't matter how many weeks they pay you for as your hourly rate remains the same even if your annual salary is pro-rated.

Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Eg Annual Salary = £18980. Pro rated at 46/52 weeks = £16170 ish (what you'd get in gross pay). The hourly rate is still £10 an hour.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Think op is full time 52 weeks per year with 4 weeks hol (well it is 22 days to be fair)

So overtime as fn said is based on 52 as the 4 weeks are paid holiday. But most people do not get paid by hour they get yearly wage / 12 etc.

Also lot of leas have set overtime rate based on your grade level.

I will be honest if it is only one/two hours each week ask head if can work in lieu or what ever the term is.

As by time took ni/tax into account it is not worth it. Where as one hour each week * 52 then you got week a bit extra holiday.

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by z4ydi View Post
    My contract says that I should be working 36 hours/week and I have 4 weeks holiday per a year. I bleleive my overtime salary rate should be calculated as follows:
    36 * 48 = 1728 hours in a year
    TOTAL SALARY/1728 = ?

But they have calculated my salary based on 52 weeks rather than 48 (minus holidays) weeks.
    36 * 52 = 1872 hours in a year >> this calculation reduces my hourly rate big time

Could someone tell me how overtime salary rates are calculated. Is it based on 52 weeks or (52 - 4 weeks holiday = 48).

sorry if you dont find this confusing.
    You get 4 weeks paid holiday so they are correct to have calculated you're salaray based on 52 weeks........

so you're overtime rate, which is typically time and a half for the lower paid staff, is based on the hourly rate worked out for the 1872 hours.
    Not the hourly rate of 1728 hours a year.

Or as russ has said for the odd hour here or there maybe better to arrange time off in lieu. That's what single status wants to 'encourage' for support staff on the slightly higher grades. Although if you're on one of the lower grades you should be entitled to the overtime rate......

but wait, if the schools are in effect exept from single status as the board of governors have veto, i'd imagine they can set whatever damn overtime policy they like.....irrespective of LEA.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    You get 4 weeks paid holiday so they are correct to have calculated you're salaray based on 52 weeks........

so you're overtime rate, which is typically time and a half for the lower paid staff, is based on the hourly rate worked out for the 1872 hours.
    Not the hourly rate of 1728 hours a year.

Or as russ has said for the odd hour here or there maybe better to arrange time off in lieu. That's what single status wants to 'encourage' for support staff on the slightly higher grades. Although if you're on one of the lower grades you should be entitled to the overtime rate......

but wait, if the schools are in effect exept from single status as the board of governors have veto, i'd imagine they can set whatever damn overtime policy they like.....irrespective of LEA.
    thanks for the info, BUT, before they give me a salary rise they used to calculate my overtime based on 1728 hours; after the pay rise they now calculate based on 1872 hours; it kind of does not go down my throat now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Then keep quite as they could claim you been overpaid and ask for it back

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread