+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Job role changed but overtime rate not effected in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...

Thank Post

Job role changed but overtime rate not effected

There has been a massive change in my job role and I have been promoted to a senior IT administrator, my salary spine (or Pay scale) changed from 29 to 36. I do a lot of overtime because of the workload and for over time I used to get £12.45/hr when i was on payscale 27. When my payscale changed to 29 I the overtime rate raised to £14.19, but what is funny is that when my payscale raised from payscale 29 to 35 they still pay me £14.19 (no increase in overtime rate). I dont know whether i should speak to my manager or not, because I don’t want to make them feel like I am money oriented, because few months ago i negotiated my salary and now this. please advice. Also if you have an idea how much should i get paid for overtime on payscale 35 let me know please.

thanks
    Last edited by Ric_; 3rd March 2008 at 10:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depending on your Authority you may have reached the part of the scale where you are not eligible for overtime, but have to take time off in leui instead. This is fairly common of parts of public sector.

It may be that the school is ignoring this by still paying you overtime, but at the maximum rate it can do so ... ie the highest part of the scale eligible for overtime.

For my NM we have to operate a time off system instead as we do not have *any* overtime for that part of the scale.

I am similar ... I only get time off as well, but I have a 'minimum' hours contract as I am manglement .... such is life.

Thank Post
    You get overtime???

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You get paid for the overtime?

Thank Post
    but i work till 06:30 almost everyday, should i not get paid overtime?

Thank Post
    Sorry, the word "Overtime" brings out the "red rag to a bull" in me having been stitched up several times by SMT. [Like having to work the weekend prior to Ofsted then having the overtime refused.....or setting up a new suite when I worked until 10:30 on a Sunday as I was informed that the suite HAD to be ready for first lesson Monday or I would be in serious trouble.] I also work fairly long days as standard just to get the work done....grumble grumble.

Anyhoo....enough about my troubles!

Yes, we should ALL get overtime. Have you tried speaking to your Finance people? Maybe they can help?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We do the same as GrumbleDook. If we work extra hours we take some time off. Usually to the nearest half day.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    If you guys are working serious amounts of overtime and not getting paid then stop doing the time.

If the school hasn't agreed to you working the overtime then that is one thing but if they had and still don't pay you overtime rate speak to the union.

Ben

Thank Post
    Comes with the job...

we just count the hours and take them back where we can,

if that means leaving at 3.15 for the next 3 days we do...

but id rather the money :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I would disagree.

If they do not agree to overtime or in some cases giving time off in lieu then you can't be expected to step in when trouble arises.

Ben

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We don't get paid overtime which I can understand but it really annoys me that if we work an extra hour in the evening then we only get an hour toil. I'd expect at least an hour and a quarter. For weekends I'd expect double time. Am I being unreasonable?

Thank Post
    thanks for all the info. in my case they do agree to give me overtime, but they have not increased my overtime pay rate when my salary scale changed from 29 to 35 (which is a huge change), whereas in the past they gave me overtime rate raise when my salary scale raised by 2 points from 27 to 29. why is that and what is your advice. Please read my initial post for more details.

Thank Post
    If your overtime is paid at time and a half, you should get that. If your pay has risen, then so should your overtime rate. It may be a simple error on their part that they have been using your old pay scale.

Or, as someone has pointed out already, it could be that you have risen so far up the scale that you are not able to be paid an overtime rate higher than what you are getting now. The only thing you can do is ask why your overtime rate has changed and see what they say.

Thank Post
    It's give and take really - they can't expect you to give give give and them take take take. Either they give you time off - or they pay you overtime. If they refuse to do either - don't do any overtime whatsoever and when that virus ourbreak or server faliure occurs - they'll learn a hard lesson about give and take!

Butuz

Thank Post
    I do loads of hours extra, don't get paid overtime but am allowed to 'bank' the hours. The problem is I've never got the time to take them. The last two times I went to the Head with over 120 hours and asked 'can I take a month off to use my hours up?' I got paid in both cases.

I also think that if they insist that you must get a task done by a certain time and that involves overtime that any hours worked should be 'paid back' at overtime rates - particularly weekend hours. After all the site manager and caretaker get paid time and a half/double time. Why should we be any different?

HBJB

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast