+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Some advice please in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi everyone, I'm a new user here. I've applied for a few ICT technician positions in schools in Birmingham. The ...

Thank Post

Some advice please

Hi everyone, I'm a new user here. I've applied for a few ICT technician positions in schools in Birmingham. The closing date for those positions is Friday 29th Feb. 2008. I wonder if anyone could give me some insight into what schools are looking for when interviewing people for such positions? I've been working for over a year at an IT outsourcing company where I've been doing 1st line support, deksktop, laptop and server maintenance, installation, os installation, imaging, etc. So the job is half support and half configuration. Ever since I done some work experience in a primary school (not particularly IT related, mainly helping the teacher to deliver classes) I've wanted to work in a school environment. As far as qualifications are concerned, I have an IT networking degree gained in Feb. 2007, A+, Network+ and MCP (Windows XP).

In truth I only have just over 1 years experience in an IT environment. After my A'levels in 1999, I left education because of a family problem and returned in 2004 to start my degree. In that time I worked in security. So Im just looking for some advice really, how I can best sell myself and if anyone in a similar situation to me has managed to get an ICT technican position. Fingers crossed I will get 1 interview next week. Thanks.

Thank Post
    remember that your primary customers will be educated people generally older than you and younger folk. You'll need to show that you can deal with both types well and that your responsible. Technically you should be fine mate, experience and education are a nice combo.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply strawberry. If I can get my foot in the door then I would be happy. The pay does seem to be lower than private sector. Im currently on £19500 a year but the jobs Ive applied for are max. £17000. I was also wondering what types of apps. are used in schools nowadays? ive done some research beforehand just incase I get an interview. Ive read about things like CC3, ePortal, SIMS, CMIS. And is there any sort of training that schools tend to give you? Reading some of the posts on this forum, it seems some schools offer no training and others pay towards certifications or extra training. What sort of questions were people asked at interviews for ICT Technicans?
    Last edited by Ayaz; 28th February 2008 at 07:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Your right, school do not want to pay for training or certs, or software tools & in some cases screwdrivers etc!!

Most primary schools don't understand how much they use the IT, I've been in school support for nearly 15 years now, and most primary IT bugets are £800 a year for inks!!!

Software lots!! Last primary school I installed 250 pieces of software on the images for 86 PC 14 laptops. Some of the software was wrote for dos & win 3.11 and they still want it to work!!!

Also most Primary schools do not pay for holidays so the 17K will be less!!

Thank Post
    The training will all depend upon the school. Some offer great opportunities, others you'll be lucky if they show you how to use the coffee machine.

When interviewing there are a few things I look for:

Able to problem solve.
    Prioritising work load.
    Diagnostic skills - kids love to do the most basic things - unplug cables, change monitor contrast etc.
    Willingness to learn - things change.
    Some flexibility - parents evenings etc.
    Personality, a laugh and a joke always help during the informal parts of the process.

Thank Post
    the pay is less and its contraverisal to say but school's seem more relaxed envinroments to me, so it evens out. Generally the schools wont folk out too much for trainining unless they have too, most big programs like sims should have support, you'll likely just end up being an interface to their tech people if something goes wrong. its worth reading up about classroom managment software (lots of great threads on here). most of them are easy to pick up and if they're set up proparly now you should only need to tinker once in a while.

in a school you'll probably have a bit of non productive time, always worth pointing out what you would do with that time ( easy points being help out with lessons, research innovations in software and hardware, check pricing, do pm work on the servers)

Thank Post

work in brum

Ayaz

Give me or my team a call and we can see what education ICT jobs we might be able to pass your way

Regards
    Will william@specialagent.co.uk 08701 612 007

Thank Post
    When applying for the position read the job/person spec.

On your application form make sure you write down that you fulfil each and every item, elaborate if needed.

It should make your application stand out for the non technical people who usually go through the applications before it even gets to the technical people for the final pruning of applications.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    remember that your primary customers will be educated people generally older than you and younger folk. You'll need to show that you can deal with both types well and that your responsible. Technically you should be fine mate, experience and education are a nice combo.
    Just to add to what strawberry has said. Your main customers are the students and thier education.
    Teaching staff when interview lap up anything to do with "Bums on seats in IT Rooms" or buzz terms like "teaching and learning" and "enhancing the educational experience"

Thank Post
    I have an interview at a primary school, could someone who has or is working as an iCT technicain in a primary school be able to tell me their daily routine, what do they get up to, what software is installed in their school, what hw they have, etc. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

My mate asked me a question they might ask and I must admit I was stumped. The questions was where do you see yourself in 5 years time? Should they ask me that, I have 1 years IT experience behind me, I would look to complement my knowledge and larn new skills along the way.

But that doesnt answer where I expect to be? Anyone got any good responses to that one?
    Last edited by Ayaz; 5th March 2008 at 01:12 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread