+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Job interview presentation help in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi all, I have a job interview in less than two weeks and i have been asked to do a ...
    Thank Post

Job interview presentation help

Hi all,

I have a job interview in less than two weeks and i have been asked to do a presentation on how ICT support and helpdesk will be in 5 years. HELP!

Just one of those questions where u go blank.

Anyone got any ideas?

Ross

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Job interview presentation help

oohh good queation ok

what i would do is write down how ict support works now and then strat to look at each bit and work out how that will be in 5 years time

what type of school/college/uni is this for if for secondry school then look at possablebity that students will be studying from home more and need for out of schools hours support...

will have think about it bit more and do some follow ups

russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ideas you could bring in are knowledge bases, screen recorder tutorials, wikis, email tickets etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries

If the bursar / Business Manager will be there then talk budgets too ...

Explain about saving money by spending it ;-)

Talk about the use of thin clients as an alternative to buying new machines to save money (you still need to buy servers and CALs where appropriate, so it will never be free ...)

Talk about staff training ... by training the teaching staff better it reduces the load on the support team, allowing them to get on with their jobs, but ensure that the training they are given will make an impact on how the students learn. An example of this is the screen recorders tutorials mentioned above. Teach the staff how to use this sort of thing and they can make tutorials that students can then use for revision, personalised learning or even for work whilst they are off school (ill of excluded ... that way you hit the "first day cover" stuff too.)

Talk about sharing good practice ... the support team should be there to facilitate it between teachers ... let's face it, we tend to know who is good with what and it is very easy to point a teacher in the direction of another teacher and say "have a look at what he/she/it does".

Talk about innovations ... about the support team looking at not just new technology, but existing technology ... making sure it is used effectively and makes a difference to lessons. This may be the the room booking sheet for a computer lab needs to have a box where the teacher states what the students hope to gain (skill and information) when using the computers. This also hite the cross-surricular stuff too.

Lets see ... that leaves Blogs for learning journals, podcasts for revision and focussing materials, wikis for collaboration ...

And that is not even getting onto best practice for the support team itself.

For that you can look at Becta's Technical Competency levels ... and showing how that is the basis for the team; then take FITS and show that this will soon become accredited and can be used to help reach ICTMark (another tick in the box that can help with OFSTED)

Then you can again look at sharing best practice ... point to this site, to mailing lists used by universities (jiscmail.ac.uk), to other schools with excellence in ICT (www.ict-register.net) ... and so on.

Talk about building on existing successes. Try not to talk about failures, unless you have a positive point to build round it.

Once you have done it could you add it rough details to the wiki. This could actually end up as a stock presentation that people could use ... of course people would have to add their own slant to gear it for their particular skills and aptitudes.

Thank Post

Well i am going for a job at a college. I currently work in a secondary school. I am going to the interview open minded not sure if i am going to go for it or not.

I was thinking on the lines of email support. Was thinking also of Voip being helpful for both ICT support and helpdesk.

Thank you for the replies.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

if going for job that has a 'team' then have systems that produce error message emails have them email a global mailing list that al ict support taff are on...

so everybody is aware of all problems...

further to what webman says using wiki as documentation tool...

russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Try and find out what helldesk software they use at the moment ... and if they don't that start with Liberum and work your way up the more expensive stuff.

Have a look to see what the provide for students with their own hardware ... look at wireless hotspots and how they can be used so students can access work.

Look at how ways to improve communication between the support team and the users (teachers and students) ... email bulletins, status pages on the website ... anything that lets people know that you are hard at work ... and not just watching the last episode of the IT Crowd again.

Thank Post

You could also mention that you would aim to have the college obtain the ICT mark, see link below. tThat would be a three year rolling programme for ICT support and curriculum delivery.

http://schools.becta.org.uk/index.ph...rid=10848&rr=1

Thank Post

I sent a email to the head of the helpdesk with a few questions about the setup. May help me out a bit.

Ross

Thank Post

How about in 5 years time, support calls automatically emailed to your PDA

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Why wait 5 years? You can have that now and is has seriously annoyed some people at our LEA team ... they will be on site and someone will still managed to add another ticket to their job list ... and it even emails again if they fail to respond with an "I've got it" reply ...

Flippin' blackberry (but available on other systems too!)

Thank Post

Well i have almost completed the presentation.

Just some questions

What help desk tools are out there which are used?

Also how can blogs help?

How can a message board help?

Thanks guys i appreciate this.

Ross

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Help desk tools range from freebies like Liberum, which combine a job ticketing system with a basic knowledge base ... through to the more expense tools like TOPdesk and Track-IT. More details about the high end use of suck tools is available from the Help Desk Institute (HDI) www.thinkhdi.com.

Blogs are extremely handy (as are Wikis) to show a personal journal of activities and develpoment within a help desk. They can also be useful as methods of acquiring advice or pointers for particular areas, and example being the developer blogs from Microsoft, helping to give programmers key information in the working of new products as they come out of Microsoft.

Message boards within an institute can form the backbone of self-help and peer support. As more users become computer literate the requirement for general pages with FAQs is disappearing as users require information that is pertinent to the individual. THis can be very taxing on a support team and it has become common practice to have users help each other, and support staff step in where and when appropriate.

This has grown within some circles to the point of where the users who are deemed to be "experts" are rewaded for their volountary contributions to the group. An example of this it the MVP program from Microsoft where they invite individuals who have shown a consistant level of good advice and support via newsgroups, mailing lists or meetings to travel to Redmond (or other locations) and are given extra priveleges and information. Apple have a similar scheme within education called the Apple Distinguished Educator.

Is this enough to go on with?

You can find more stuff at www.thinkhdi.com and www.itsmf.com, but some of it gets a little too aimed at people working within businesses.

Thank Post

Yes been very helpful.

Now i have to bullet point them lol.

Ross

Thank Post

Just to let you all know that i got the job offer yesterday and accepted it

Thank you everyone for your help.

Ross

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread