+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Strategic ICT Role Advice in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; i have a question for any ICT Staff working in schools with the words Director, Strategic or Leader in their ...
    Thank Post

Strategic ICT Role Advice

i have a question for any ICT Staff working in schools with the words Director, Strategic or Leader in their job title.

What additional responsibilities do you have as part of your role that say a Network Manager doesn't?

I've been the NM at my current school for 7 years now and I am looking to take on more strategic & developmental responsibilities and want to know what responsibilities others have so that I can take my proposal to the head.

This isn't about getting more money from the school as I'm paid via the Managed Service that the school buys in to, it's purely for experience and possibly additional training which I hope will open doors and opportunities for career development.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Have you thought of becoming a school governor? It is an opportunity to develop a huge range of skills and helped me make the move "upstairs"

More information here
    Http://www.sgoss.org.uk

3. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

AngryITGuy (12th July 2014)

Thank Post
    It's on the list to do just need the right vacancy to open up.

Nothing has come up at the school my children go to.

I can't be a staff governor at my working school because I don't work for them. I'm waiting for one of the LEA seats to open up as the managed service is provided by them so could be my way in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Through SGOSS you can be an appointed governor anywhere. LA governor roles are few and far between and the opportunities are getting smaller.

Governing Bodies of maintained schools must soon reconstitute so that they can have a maximum of 1 staff governor and 1 LA governor. Apart from the parents and the head, the rest must all be appointed for the skillset they bring. Skills required aren't necessarily professional either.

Academies and free schools don't have LA governors and still use SGOSS for hunting down appointed governors.

Thank Post
    I became a governor of a local school without any affinity to it, they just liked the idea of someone with IT knowledge on the board. It's very rewarding and not massively time consuming.

Thank Post
    My role is ICT Strategy Manager as well as usual Network stuff I also line Manage MIS department have worked on Developing some in house software for remote access and Student Progress tracking, I also Chair the ICT Strategy meeting which includes Head (Used to be Deputy Head) and the Business Manager, Governor responsible for IT and we look at how we can use ICT to improve teaching and learning and drive these initiatives through and use the schools Quality Assurance System to drive ICT in regards to help Teaching and Learning. Take a look at this ICT Systems Full Report which is on our website doesn't include everything but might help.

Also have as a few people have said becoming a Governor can give you some extra experience I was a Governor at the last school I worked at and have just joined the Governors where I am, I also give presentations to Governors a couple of times a year in regards to the schools ICT and how we want to move forward, costs, what has worked what hasn't etc.

8. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

AngryITGuy (12th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, just search for any posts of mine with the words director or strategy in and you are likely to come up with a *lot* of stuff ... too much to condense in here.

10. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

AngryITGuy (13th July 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread