+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Temporary IT Technician in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Morning all, My headteacher has recently said to me that she is happy to bring in an additional IT Technician ...

Thank Post

Temporary IT Technician

Morning all,

My headteacher has recently said to me that she is happy to bring in an additional IT Technician on a temporary short term basis.

The problem is, i don't know where to even begin looking. Are there agencies for this sort of thing, for example? I'm only looking for someone to come in at a technician level, basically to free up my own time so I can do more critical/interesting jobs.

Basically i'm looking for an idea of where to look and an idea of what kind of costs i could expect to incur, my only thoughts at the moment are to contact the local universities and colleges and see if we can get a student in on a kind of work placement scheme, although having worked with students before i would prefer to bring someone in who would be useful almost immediately

Any ideas people can throw at me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers as always

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Temporary IT Technician

Special Agent are an agency that may be able to help you out. I'm sure you'll receive a PM shortly if you request it.

The problem with bringing in a placement student (we have one each year and are in the 4th year of the scheme) is that it can take time to get them up to speed .. not just their skills but their approach to how you work in the school. If it is a temp basis then they could be gone just as they are getting good.

Have a chat with other local schools and see if there is the chance you can share someone for a bit?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Damb.. its a shame its in stockport bit of away for me... i would be happy to do a little Temp work..

james

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,280 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries

I read it as Temporal IT technician and thought i'd get to work with Dr Who.....

Thank Post

I work in Australia, but I would hope they offer similar schemes where you are....

We have training organisations around (I used Excom education) where the student pays to do coursework and then IT organisations (such as yourself) go to them and inform them of the type of person you are looking for. They then forward some of their people to you.

I know about this as I went through the process. At the time, it was free for any organisation to get an employee this way, and I imagine it still is.

I would highly recommend you see if there are any training organisations such as these in your area.

Thank Post

Thanks for the responses so far, I've been looking round various places but still to no avail.

Hopefully something will crop up soon

Thank Post

How much are you looking at paying and how many hours?

Thank Post

When we manage to tweak the purse strings of the management we have to submit all of our potst on the local authority website and the local newspaper, or central IT send someone up from the civic centre.

I didn't realise other LA's did things any different, for state schools anyway.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by acrobson
    When we manage to tweak the purse strings of the management we have to submit all of our potst on the local authority website and the local newspaper, or central IT send someone up from the civic centre.
    Yeh, there's somethin about public sector jobs where you *have* to advertise, not that they bother with that up here - and as for the council sending someone up, we should be so lucky - our council don't wanna know schools unless they're benefitting fiscally.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyKGB
    Quote Originally Posted by acrobson
    Yeh, there's somethin about public sector jobs where you *have* to advertise, not that they bother with that up here - and as for the council sending someone up, we should be so lucky - our council don't wanna know schools unless they're benefitting fiscally.
    Ah..thats where we fell short, our council won the in house bid for BSF, so kinda had to keep the schools on side the 2 years prior to the bidding etc!

Thank Post
    Exactly what i'm looking for. Someone to 'lighten the load' and do some of the every day things; changing toner, got a load of PC's that new HW repairs etc etc.

Haven't cleared it with anyone yet but it's my budget I guess. I would have loved a job like this back in the day...good experience, nice atmosphere, lovely people and free food

Any offers, let me know...

Ben in North Hertfordshire (Hitchin)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered employing a work experience student (eg from a nearby university)?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread