+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Imperial College London - IT Support Engineer in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; https://www4.ad.ic.ac.uk/OA_HTML/OA....ci15ENc2og_iWg .. Salary: 28,770 - 32,750 per annum (Professional Services Level 3a) 33,590 41,540 per annum (Professional Services Level ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Imperial College London - IT Support Engineer

https://www4.ad.ic.ac.uk/OA_HTML/OA....ci15ENc2og_iWg..

Salary:
    28,770 - 32,750 per annum (Professional Services Level 3a)
    33,590 41,540 per annum (Professional Services Level 3b)

(Appointment would normally be at level 3a with progression to level 3b if appropriate)

We're looking to appoint 4 new people to the Faculty Support group within IT Services (replacing a mix of promotions and retirements). Faculty Support provides a wide range of end-user support - this is not working with servers or network infrastructure but working with the 21,000 staff and students who make up Imperial College. Most teaching machines run 64 bit Windows 7 but staff machines are a mix of Windows (normally Windows 7 but we still have a substantial number of XP machines in labs, typically plugged into big and expensive equipment), Linux (mainly Red Hat and Ubuntu but could be anything) and Mac.

I manage one of the support groups and although I'm not involved in the recruitment process I can answer general questions about what the job entails or what it's like to work at Imperial College. Feel free to post questions here or email me directly - s.rochford@imperial.ac.uk

If you want to apply for the job then please download the pack from the website, complete the form and return as directed.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What level of Linux experience are you seeking? As an example, I have experience mostly through home usage and tinkering whilst looking up where to find answers (Ubuntu Forums, WineHQ, etc).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's fine as a starting point - you need to be experienced in one OS to start (typically that's Windows) and having experience of another OS is a bonus. Over time we'd expect you to gain more skills either in Mac OS or Linux (or both)

Most Linux queries are quite simple (please can you install XXX, how do I mount a network drive, how do I print to the swipecard printers etc) but there is more complex stuff (how can I use rsync to do Time Machine type backups was an interesting one [the answer is that you tell it to use hard links])

Thank Post
    I am also having a fair Knowledge of Linux as a Home user and Edubunthu etc. Interested .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread