+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Help with interview questions. in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi all, Im just looking at a job speck for an ICT tech position im applying for, and there are ...

Thank Post

Help with interview questions.

Hi all, Im just looking at a job speck for an ICT tech position im applying for, and there are a couple of points that im not sure on.

1. Developing and delivering ICT courses for the local community or specific groups of pupils as and when required

2. Developing a mentoring system for NQT's and trainees.

In regards to 1. I thought legislation had changed this year so that you needed to hold a qualification in delivering training to adult learners to be able to teach ICT to adults, and that it had always been the case in regards to children. How would you handle this.

as for 2. I haven't a clue what they are looking for here, are they just wanting someone to 'babysit' NVQ's till they get a fair grasp on the IT equipment and software?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Help with interview questions.

hmmm well adult one think you can be working towards it (as to get it need to be training adults etc). The pupils one is different sounds like to me what they are asking is are you willing to run after school and lunch time club type things. That is often part of most jobs in school these days that you must run a club of some type.

Number 2 well sounds like they want to develop a system so introduction/mentor to ict type scheme so a nqt goes through a scheme so that they have some basic understanding of ict.

Sounds like me it is thing i have been saying for while some parts of our jobs must take on educational technologist role.

Russell

Thank Post

So basically I need to ask if they are willing to send me on a teaching adult learners course for the community stuff, as they have not listed that in the job spec?

I thought it was the role of the IT co-or to 'develop' IT and training courses?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by lill
    2. Developing a mentoring system for NQT's and trainees.

as for 2. I haven't a clue what they are looking for here, are they just wanting someone to 'babysit' NVQ's till they get a fair grasp on the IT equipment and software?
    Be careful not to confuse NQT with NVQ

NQT = Newly Qualified Teacher (1st year fully qualified)
    NVQ = National Vocational Qualification

I would give them a call to discuss the second point - we could read it in a few different ways and you don't want it to be the sticking point at interview.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@lill: What is the salary for that job if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds like they will get away with paying a crap wage for you getting to teach people.

@Russdev: We don't mind doing that sort of stuff if we get paid a decent wage but usually that is not the case. IMO I don't think we should be expected to teach anything.

Thank Post

Find it annoying that some schools think stuff like this is the responsibility of a techy and often not willing to pay for it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    @lill: What is the salary for that job if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds like they will get away with paying a crap wage for you getting to teach people.

@Russdev: We don't mind doing that sort of stuff if we get paid a decent wage but usually that is not the case. IMO I don't think we should be expected to teach anything.

@webman Agree the fact we need to take on these roles i do agree need to pay money to do that.

In schools we get hung up on definition of teaching and difference between training and teaching. I always think we shouldn’t be teaching students 9 unless it is something like a special after school/lunch time course type thing doing something very specific aka like video editing for example. But do think we need be training the staff yes this is in conjunction with ICT Coordinator etc. In my view schools need to need be utilising best resources and sometimes technical staff are best people to teach staff and sometimes that is ICT coordinator.

Thank Post

Its £18,450 - £20,235 pro rata term time only, dont get me wrong im quite happy in 1+1 sessions or drop-in workshops showing people the basics of how to use their computer, software etc.

But Id expect to be given some training before being expected to 'develop and deliver', the job spec has no mention of teaching/training experience or qualifiacations

staff training and development in ICT is also listed on the job spec higher up, so thats already in there.

Thank Post

[quote="gwendes"]

Be careful not to confuse NQT with NVQ

NQT = Newly Qualified Teacher (1st year fully qualified)
    NVQ = National Vocational Qualification
    [quote]

Hi, yes i know NQT is Newly Qualified Teacher, its the 'developing a mentoring system' im questioning.
    I think im going to ask them if there is a page missing from the job spec they have sent out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread