+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Working Abroad...no idea where to start in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by titch - Whats people opinions on contacting relevant staff directly on linked in. Is that creepy or ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by titch View Post
    - Whats people opinions on contacting relevant staff directly on linked in. Is that creepy or clever?

Cheers for advice. Gonna push the ICT angle more strongly as opposed to purely technical as I have been teaching ICT for a few years now and have several other school responsibilities. Would be difficult for me and GF to relocate without jobs in advance. How did you get your job? And whats it like living/working in Bangkok? I have visited but not longer than a week.
    Working in Bangkok is totally different to just being a tourist, I lived in Hua Hin for over a year before coming to BKK to find work. Its a great place to live but it has many temptations can result in late nights.

You should really has some savings built up at home and ideally a 2nd income from working online before coming out here, Thailands only a great place if you have cash to spend.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How do interviews work for working abroad? Do you have to take a lot of time off to go to an interview in another country or are there people in the UK who interview on an employer's behalf?

Thank Post
    I looked at this a few years ago, most international recruiters have offices in the UK so you interview there and then if successful they normally have their own relocation folk to help you out. Choose wisely though, I have friends how came home after a few months having been sold a dream that was far from reality.
    Good luck though!
    Jon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,410 Times in 1,167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    How do interviews work for working abroad? Do you have to take a lot of time off to go to an interview in another country or are there people in the UK who interview on an employer's behalf?
    It depends on the company, our senior management go out to annual job fairs, in Aus, Bangkok, India, UK .. . so there is a well known circuit for education. Outside of that there are recruiters / helpers but they won't do the interview, it will more likely be done on Skype if not able to meet at a fair. Leaving staff are entitled to a certain number of days based on service for attending interviews, but it would barely cover 1 job i think so going to a fair makes sense.

Saw this on LinkedIn - i'm sure it's an extreme example, but shows what can happen.
    http://image-store.slidesharecdn.com...a13-large.jpeg

It is used by and large in ways it was not intended for, and it's very easy to fall foul of the official rules. Even with things like Group Membership, if you get blocked in a group, you would be blocked from participating in any other group. This SWAMing has caused a lot of controversy lately, but i think might be changing slowly. anyway, i digress a little too much.

Thank Post
    My colleague Jordan is about to post a pure technical role in Saudi if anyone following this thread is interested, VLE (frog) related

Thank Post
    I have been looking at Qatar, plenty of jobs there for English speakers, salaries can be about £1300 a week but living is on par with London costs for housing, but then again you can order a chauffeur driven car for about £100 a week.

Thank Post
    Anyone got a job going in Boston, MA? Hah.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12