+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT Vision for a college? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi Guys I have an interview for a post in a college for network manager. any ideas what a good ...

Thank Post

ICT Vision for a college?

Hi Guys

I have an interview for a post in a college for network manager. any ideas what a good ICT vision would be? also, i haven't been on an interview for ever so i could do with some sample interview questions if you good folk could help me wit that.

Thank you all!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

That really depends on the vision of the school itself. The aim of IT is to help the organisation reach its goals, to achieve its vision. Not as a vision or aim unto itself. IT can in some cases be the primary tool used to achieve a company's vision (e.g. Amazon), but usually it's just one part.

My recommendation is to ask good questions of the interviewer(s) to learn more about what they are hoping to achieve. If they don't have a clue themselves, then you are going to face some real obstacles and it's best to know that upfront. If they do have a clue, then asking good questions will show them that you are someone who will try to help the school achieve its vision rather than just someone who shoots in the dark or will go off on a tangent that isn't aligned with the schools vision.

Research the school as much as possible to learn as much as you can about who they are (or at least who they say they are publicly) and this will help guide your questions. Also, listen carefully to the interviewer(s) and look around as you are coming into the building and going to the interview room to try to assess what sort of tech they have about the place. This may help to clue you in. Look for video cameras, computers. APs on the wall or ceiling, printers/copiers used. Be observant.
    Last edited by seawolf; 11th March 2014 at 01:45 PM.

3. Thanks to seawolf from:

enbiggen (11th March 2014)

Thank Post

Good ICT vision - asking questions (or observing current practice, shadowing), listening (and listening properly), doing research, presenting findings/reports. So that your boss or head can make an informed choice. That's how it worked for me.

You'd be amazed how few technicians actually sit in on a class and observe how the teachers use the technology - this allowed me to sort out more problems in an afternoon than a month of meetings would achieve.

Regards
    Last edited by Oddbod; 12th March 2014 at 09:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Well if its anything like here there should be a 'job description' and a 'person specification'. These should give some indication of what they are looking for (although I accept they are often fairly generic sounding). Ours tends to detail a whole list of tech that you would be expected to look after (although not necessarily be expert in every aspect), and also makes reference to managing the team, planning and delivering projects, and so on. Interview questions would tend then to try & ask open ended things about the big items on the list eg 'Give us an example of an eLearning project you delivered', 'describe some of the challenges you faced in a project you delivered recently' ... sort of thing...
    Having said that I agree with the previous comment about observing & asking questions.

Thank Post
    Making sure that whatever ICT provision is in place WORKS. All day, everyday. Or as near as is humanly possible.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread