+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Qualifications needed for newbie in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by DMcCoy I did the same, with more maths :P (BSc computer science ) I use Computing and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Qualifications needed for newbie

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy
    I did the same, with more maths :P (BSc computer science )
    I use Computing and Computer Science interchangeably - as most universities do too... Eg. Lancaster University uses both Computing and Computer Science to describe their course (or they did when I took it). :P And I hate maths!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by djm968
    True Mr Plock, however you are the exception to that rule. I know your ability and I would rather leave you holding my server shaped baby than someone who has an MCSE and no experience.

The injustice is that Mr MCSE can charge £500per day to baby sit without experience and you my friend wouldn’t even be asked to change its nappy.

And this is often the result!

http://edugeek.net/index.php?name=Fo...wtopic&t=13636

How’s it going down there in Reading by the way!
    Evening djm968!

I appreciate your compliments!

Reading is very well, along with myself! Indeed you're correct the MCSE is what you need... it's where I'm currently heading!

I plan to start it in the first holiday of 2008.

I did notice the other topic you pointed out, exactly what I thought!

How are you doing yourself? I'll try and call to catch up with you at some point shortly.

Cheers.

Thank Post

Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciated , I'm a guy btw . I must say I am rather attracted to the Staffordshire course, not just because it dabbles in a bit of everything, including an entrepenerual element which wouldb ecomplimented with my GCSE in Business Studies (B) - that would help at least a little.
    Right now I'm re-writing my UCAS Personal Statement which I've been told that I should write in all I can do on Server so I'm putting in User management in AD, Group Policy, User Profiles and such.

As for the maths in the courses, the only part I couldn't grasp was algebra - that a concern?

As for the Software Engineering course that requires BB, I'm only doing 2 A Levels so it will require alot of work for me, and if I don't get the required grades, and I want to continue with that course, the foundatioin version is available at Belfast Metropolitan College, which would let me get to it aswell.

Thank Post

Fair play I wish I did that Staffordshire course instead of my HND Computing. Now I have to resort to home learning for my MCSE and CCNA whenever I can afford them (despite the promise of training from my employer).

Thank Post

Get a Linux machine setup on your home network, find an open source project your interested in and contribute to it.

Get the Linux machine interoperating with you windows PC's setup network monitoring, run you own website from home, preferably with a database backend. Configure an email system, sniff your network with ethereal.

Learn a language, php, python, perl, java.

Read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

But the main thing is learn *nix, it's been around for 30 years and will be around for another 30.

My current bugbear is that I learn't DOS, then Windows 3.1, then Windows 95, then 98, NT, 2000, 2003, XP, and now I have to upgrade my knowledge to Vista, to be honest I'm pretty bored of my knowledge of MS stuff going obsolete. So *nix for me all all the way.

That

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Andi
    Fair play I wish I did that Staffordshire course instead of my HND Computing. Now I have to resort to home learning for my MCSE and CCNA whenever I can afford them (despite the promise of training from my employer).
    I have the same promise from my current employer; I'm pushing to get going in the first holiday of next year!

Let’s hope they keep their word!

Thank Post

Don't worry about the maths at staffs. I'm crap at maths...and when i say crap i mean...REALLY crap.

There are two options for first year maths. Fundamentals of Maths (or something like that) or "Quantitative Methods" in semester one and "Balancing maths" in semester two.

I did QM and BM which basically is targeted at anyone that's not done maths since GCSE as a way to get the first year maths requirement to go onto the second year. They're taught by Pat Lewis and the way she teaches them is really good and basically trickles the knowledge into your brain. (It helps that you've only got to maintain a 40% average in your first year to pass and that your first year doesn't count to your classification so you've just got to pass it).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12