+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, IT Technician in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm currently trying to get my foot in the door ...

Thank Post

IT Technician

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm currently trying to get my foot in the door to get into the IT industry to become an IT Support Technician. However, me being a young age 19, and not having any certificates, only a BTEC Extended National Diploma in IT. What would the best way to get to become an IT support Technician?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty94 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm currently trying to get my foot in the door to get into the IT industry to become an IT Support Technician. However, me being a young age 19, and not having any certificates, only a BTEC Extended National Diploma in IT. What would the best way to get to become an IT support Technician?
    Volunteer! I did 8 months volunteering at my old Secondary school for experience whilst working at Homebase as a part time job, The more experience you get the more you're likely to get a job, Also get a test machine and just set yourself tasks on that, I did this and installed various trials of OS's to increase knowledge etc.

Good luck

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ^^ This. Ask at the local college to volunteer in exchange for Certs...could get Comptia A+ or N+ or Linux+ all of which are very handy to have. Possibly also CCNA. Volunteer for a year to pay back the certs and bam...1 year experience, and some certs in hand

Thank Post
    Where in the country are you?

Thank Post
    @hardtailstar I was thinking about volunteering for my old Secondary school. (Found my old NM on here). But didn't know if I was allowed because I'll be working with children. I'm going to be getting a new PC within the next 2-4 weeks. Would it be easier to use it as a virtual machine for the OS, as well as a normal desktop?

@nephilim When I was in my second year of college, the IT support staff were walking out something to do with the SMT.

@kmount I'm from Coventry

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,534 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Age and no certificates doesn't mean you wont get a job. In my first job i was 16 and just left school 6 weeks before. I worked in a voluntary role for 6 months and got a good reference from them. Thats what got me the job. I was against 2 people out of college and 1 from uni none of them had experience.

Volunteer and get some experience under you belt.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Age is not a problem and certificate...........mean nothing! IMO.......Where are you located?
    Last edited by IanT; 10th November 2013 at 04:44 PM.

Thank Post
    @IanT I'm in Coventry

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty94 View Post
    @hardtailstar I was thinking about volunteering for my old Secondary school. (Found my old NM on here). But didn't know if I was allowed because I'll be working with children. I'm going to be getting a new PC within the next 2-4 weeks. Would it be easier to use it as a virtual machine for the OS, as well as a normal desktop?

@nephilim When I was in my second year of college, the IT support staff were walking out something to do with the SMT.

@kmount I'm from Coventry

I normally just use a normal desktop, not really used virtual machine.

Thank Post
    I would go for an IT Apprenticeship, I got years of experience, a couple of quals and got paid for it

Thank Post
    Volunteer work at local schools, if you have the right personality it doesn't matter who you go up against in an interview sometimes so I wouldn't worry about certs and what not right now. We are about to look for an apprentice but we aren't in your area. good luck

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,701 Posts
    If you volunteer in a school, you will have to have a DBS check (used to be called CRB) done. The school will do it and, as you are a volunteer, it will be free

With regard to qualifications, it may come as a surprise to you, but many of us have none... and some of us have qualifications that are so dated that they are irrelevant (I started out with punch cards before the PC was invented and the internet was definitely not in use!)

In this trade we have to keep up with change and adapt to suit what comes along. I would rather have an enthusiastic trainee who is willing and able to learn fast and adapt quickly than someone with a pile of qualification certificates who thinks that their ways are always right and doesn't listen and learn on the job.

Keep an eye out for apprenticeship roles where you will be trained on the job... no previous IT qualification is required usually for these posts.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 11th November 2013 at 10:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to say something about qualifications if I may. Yes, they're not the be-all and end-all of things but don't dismiss them entirely. They can be very useful to have and if you get something like a Network+ it will be useful for a very long time to come. Networking principles haven't changed in a very long time.

Even with qualifications like MCPs, yes they may be in a specific product which will become outdated once it's replaced but that doesn't make it useless. The product may have changed but again the underlying principles most likely haven't. And how many people are still using Windows XP/Windows 2003 for example?

There are also always going to be employers who look for them. Don't rush out and get a CCNA but do look at getting some training as well as experience.

Thank Post
    I initially started working a couple of days a week at a local high school whilst working in a supermarket. This happened for about 6 months and I was then offered the job full time. I only had a first diploma and a national diploma at the time. I'm sure you will find something, the school is getting a worker and not having to pay anything.

Thank Post
    I got my job via an apprenticeship at 17 straight out of 6th Form.

If not, volunteering, as the others have said. The issue is having the experience, it doesn't have to be paid experience.

Your BTEC diploma will set you ahead if you're looking for apprenticeships. It shows you have an interest and are willing to work towards a goal.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast