+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, IT Technician in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by hardtailstar Volunteer! I did 8 months volunteering at my old Secondary school for experience whilst working at ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    Volunteer! I did 8 months volunteering at my old Secondary school for experience whilst working at Homebase as a part time job, The more experience you get the more you're likely to get a job, Also get a test machine and just set yourself tasks on that, I did this and installed various trials of OS's to increase knowledge etc.

Good luck
    Absolutely right. A former pupil came into our school one day a week while he was studying for his BTEC (ironically, at the same college where I used to teach on his course!). He was brilliant. In fact, he knew so much more than I did about lots of things; most of which he learned through just setting up systems and playing about at home. What he did learn from his experience here, though, is how to deal with end-users in a real environment, and to put boundaries on ideas and not just let them run away from you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you can manage it, try to get yourself the CompTIA A+. Qualifications are not the be all, but it does show that you can learn about IT and that you're prepared to study.

Also, keep a close eye on the adverts in local papers. That's how I got my first position. Apply for everything and try to let your enthusiasm shine through if you get to interview stage.

I'm about to start my 3rd role in IT and I'm very much looking forward to leaving the engineering sector and getting back amongst education!

Best of luck to you!

Edit: one more thing.... When you are given a chance, grab it with both hands! Work hard, learn as much as you can, and impress with your attitude.

Whether it is volunteer, temp, contact, or full time, give it your all. There is nothing better than going for another interview and seeing the glowing reference that a former boss has sent!
    Last edited by aerospacemango; 15th November 2013 at 02:16 PM.

Thank Post
    As for gaining further qualifications, you may be interested in signing up for the National Skills Academy for IT. This gives you online access to 100s of training courses, including CompTIA, Microft, Cisco, etc for something like 300 per year. It's all legit and government backed. If you give them a call, you may be able to wangle some kind of extra discount.

BTW - If you (or anyone else) signs up after reading this post, please PM me first as I think I may be entitled to some referral reward or other.

Thank Post
    @jonnykewell1 How much did you know about computers, compared to when you went into the real world? Did you ask lot of questions when you was doing the voluntary work? When you was Was the 6th former shadowing about, and doing similar things you were doing? You still doing the same job in the new school?

@APMerry Did your school post a vacancy for an IT apprenticeship or did you ask them? I only recently joined this site, so haven't had the chance to go through most of the adverts.

@M0MST I can't drive, however I can travel depending on how long the journey is.

@StevieM I'll be getting a new PC soon, so I can start setting up systems and playing about. Also, I'll get some books about computer related. What books do you recommend?

@aerospacemango CompTIA A+ will be one of the first qualifications I will be doing. What were your previous roles you have done? I will grab it with both of my hands when I get a chance.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My first role was in a college. It was my first role and I got it because the manager took a punt on me. Sometimes that's what you need.

I moved from there to an engineering company. The IT director held the view that any ticket could be completed in 5 mins....

Now I'm joining a proper IT company. I'll post where once I've started.... Don't want to jinx it!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty94 View Post
    Did your school post a vacancy for an IT apprenticeship or did you ask them? I only recently joined this site, so haven't had the chance to go through most of the adverts.
    My school actually advertised for the job. I think you'll find some places will advertise specifically for an apprentice where as others might not realise how useful an apprentice can be until they have one. That's where volunteering comes in, it's a great way to get your foot in the door and shows you're serious. As I said, just keep your eyes pealed.

If you do get a job, you'll be surprised how quickly you can become an important team member.

M0MST
    This may be of use for you in coventry

A great way to start on the ladder

WM Jobs - Job Details

Thank Post
    I am the same age as you I'm also 19... I'm a network manager at a Primary School though it was hard getting the post especially when your competing with the likes of 30 year olds with a lot more experience under their sleeve, I did an apprentership first for 7 months at a secondary school as an ICT Technician, I had a network manager working a long side me which made a huge difference it enabled me to ask questions when I was working. I learnt more there in 7 months than my whole 2 years at college. If you apply for any job don't be afraid to show you're good at what you do and be polite and smile, talk to various members of staff on your interview day. It's sets you aside from all the grumpy Techs. I had a teacher sitting by me who wanted to get her phone on the wifi, because I had seen the settings of the wifi before hand I jumped at the opportunity and sorted it out for her while all the other technicians around me didn't even make eye contact. Ha it's ironic aswell because the one module I didn't do very well on and hated was networking and now I have a job in it. If you ever want some help with anything I don't mind PM me!

Thank Post
    @ alexbillbridgnorth Are you part time or full time? Did they give you a reason why they chose you over the older technicians? I've applied for a similar apprenticeship just recently. Did you apply the apprenticeship via schools website or did you ask them? That's abit like me, I also didn't do very well with a networking module. Thanks, I'll send you a PM soon about some things.

Thank Post
    I'm full time mate. Yes mainly because I was bubbly, knew what I was doing and they saw I had potential (their words not mine) haha. I walked into the school and applied with a copt of the job application wearing some smart clothes. No worrys mate I will help if I can.

Thank Post
    So I've done a basic email asking if I could do some voluntary work, and was wondering if someone could read through it to see what I could add or change to it. Thanks.

Thank Post
    I took on an apprenticeship at 16, did my CCNA and apprenticeship over 2 years, got a full time job at a secondary school at 19, they weren't fussed at all about my certs just the fact I had worked in a school environment before for 2 years. been here ever since and currently Senior ICT Technician. Get on them it's 16-21 I think!

Thank Post
    @Mako Are you still doing business admin stuff, or are you a a techie? Most people have recommend me to go for the apprenticeship.
    Woops. I don't 'Geek as much as I used to, so I missed this. Sorry!

No, I've been here for 7 years. I'm a full time tech and network admin.

I finished all my apprentice stuff within the first 2 years. The initial apprenticeship was 12 months, and I managed to finish the other two in 6 months each (roughly). If your employer is accommodating, you just slot into the role after you've got your qualification.

I wish you the best of luck. It's a rewarding environment, if you get into the right establishment.

Thank Post
    Just to update you guys on how I'm getting on. I've contacted several schools, the local college and the local university, but unfortunately they have not replied back. The local council and the local hospital have both said they don't have any voluntary opportunities. Still not giving up.

Thank Post
    Ah tough luck matey, hang in there you'll find something soon enough!
    Just to update you guys on how I'm getting on. I've contacted several schools, the local college and the local university, but unfortunately they have not replied back. The local council and the local hospital have both said they don't have any voluntary opportunities. Still not giving up.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast