+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, IT Technician in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Go for an IT apprenticeship. I did mine at a high-school and then got a full-time job straight away. I ...

Thank Post
    Go for an IT apprenticeship. I did mine at a high-school and then got a full-time job straight away.

I remember there was someone else at the interviews who had a degree in IT.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    I'd like to say something about qualifications if I may. Yes, they're not the be-all and end-all of things but don't dismiss them entirely. They can be very useful to have and if you get something like a Network+ it will be useful for a very long time to come. Networking principles haven't changed in a very long time.

Even with qualifications like MCPs, yes they may be in a specific product which will become outdated once it's replaced but that doesn't make it useless. The product may have changed but again the underlying principles most likely haven't. And how many people are still using Windows XP/Windows 2003 for example?

There are also always going to be employers who look for them. Don't rush out and get a CCNA but do look at getting some training as well as experience.
    I agree. What I was trying to say was that a lack of qualifications is not a bar to entry and that these qualifications can be obtained on the job.

Thank Post
    @elsiegee40 Thanks for the information. I'm hoping I can volunteer at my old Secondary school. I always thought technicians had to have a Degree in Computing or other related qualifications. So you have seen pretty much everything regarding this trade and quick you have to adapt to it.

I'm keeping an eye out on apprenticeships roles where they will trained me, but there are very few that will train me on the job instead of being in a classroom.

@Norphy I was told that networking principles haven't changed much. I have heard Microsoft Certificates are outdated easily compared to other certificates like Network+. However they're good for understanding Microsoft OS. Not many people who I know are not using Windows XP or Windows 2003 because of the security and the lack of updates. I don't like rushing into getting the certificates, I liked to understand the principles of how things work. And also like getting the experience because I understand more then.

@jonnykewell1 This is that I'm planning on doing. Did you get offered the job within the same school or was it a different school? I'm thinking if I volunteer with a school, I'm just going to be watching how to do stuff or shadowing people. What did you do when you was volunteering?

@Mako What type of apprenticeship did you do?

@Lion93 Did they give a reason why the guy with a degree in IT didn't get it? I always assume people with a degree would have a better chance of getting the job because of it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    The time to start searching (Google!) for apprenticeship opportunities is in the spring - about February/March - as the employers are aiming to catch those about leaving school and have them signed up instead of going to university or going into a sixth form. That doesn't mean you aren't eligible for an apprenticeship; they just time the recruitment to maximise the number of candidates and to avoid the exams

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty94 View Post
    @Norphy I was told that networking principles haven't changed much. I have heard Microsoft Certificates are outdated easily compared to other certificates like Network+. However they're good for understanding Microsoft OS. Not many people who I know are not using Windows XP or Windows 2003 because of the security and the lack of updates. I don't like rushing into getting the certificates, I liked to understand the principles of how things work. And also like getting the experience because I understand more then.
    I wasn't suggesting you go out and get a Windows XP qualification, I was just saying that a qualification being out of date doesn't make it useless as most of it can be used as a basis for the newer versions of the product. And while there may not be many private individuals that you know who still use XP, there are still a helluva lot of companies, schools and hospitals still using it. There are still a few NT4 installations out there too.

Experience is useful and should never be discounted but there are times when it is wise to get the training and qualifications to go alongside it, especially if you're trying to learn how to use a complicated product. Teaching yourself is all very well and good but I'll happily admit that when I've taught myself to use something I've often taught myself the wrong way of doing it and have ended up with problems down the road because of it. This is where formal training from a trained instructor is useful no matter what the product is.

You should also bear in mind that Microsoft do training in a lot more than just operating systems. There are a myriad of qualifications that you can get which cover things like Active Directory, the various System Center components, SQL Server, the Forefront components, SharePoint not to mention the client components such as Office. These aren't simple products and the usefulness of being shown how to use them properly should not be underestimated.

Did they give a reason why the guy with a degree in IT didn't get it? I always assume people with a degree would have a better chance of getting the job because of it.
    Having a degree in IT doesn't necessarily mean that you are automatically the best person for the job. IT is a very broad term encompassing everything from high level programming to changing toner in printers. Chances are they felt that he was either completely over qualified for the job or that his qualification was in the wrong area.
    Last edited by Norphy; 12th November 2013 at 09:53 AM.

Thank Post
    I had a years work experience, wheareas the graduate didn't.

With a degreee you have the potential to get a decent job in the future, but without the expereince it must be tough to get started. I am in a good position where i can afford to do more qualifications/certificates in my spare time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty94 View Post
    @Mako What type of apprenticeship did you do?
    Originally was supposed to be in IT, level 2, but it transpired that none of the assessors in the area were qualified to mark it, so I ended up doing Business Admin level 2. I then did Customer Service level 2 and Business Admin level 3. Level 3 can be worth 1-5 A levels at A*-C so they're worth pushing for.

It was 100% work based, never had to go to college which was a bonus. The first one was a year long, the other two I completed in 6 months each. At the end of the first one I was on full wages and considered a full employee, and that's where my continuous service begins. I was featured in local newspapers as the first apprentice in a school, and made a page on the Council's apprentice newletter thing.

I'd highly recommend an apprenticeship if you can get in one.

Thank Post
    I would suggest you get some qualifications, especially if you want to work outside of a school at a later date. You can do these yourself while working, buy books set up a small lab, pay for the exam yourself. Most employers don't want to pay for training etc.

Thank Post
    @elsiegee40 Thanks for that tip. I was wondering when it was the best time because some months, I would see quite a few apprenticeships then other months would be less.

@Norphy I do know there are companies, school and hospitals are still using XP. I was just referring to people who I know that are not using Windows XP. I agree with you about the teaching yourself, there are going to be barriers where I will need training from a trained instructor.

@Lion93 Are you now a full time technician?

@Mako Are you still doing business admin stuff, or are you a a techie? Most people have recommend me to go for the apprenticeship.

@andyase That's what I'll be doing when I've got some experience. Also, when I'm getting a new PC, I'll start to use that to practice with Cisco Packet Tracer.
    Last edited by Matty94; 12th November 2013 at 10:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Full time anaylst at a Local Authority.

Thank Post
    Yeah it was the same school that I was working it that offered me the job, the lads I was working with went to the head and said I was doing a good job and I got pulled in and was offered the job. I must admit I thought I knew alot about computers until I went into the real world and there was so much I didn't know (and still don't). I was shadowing the lads really watching, learning, changing the toners, I was always nearest the door going out and doing all the little jobs, fetching and carrying. The school after a few months allowed a 6th former to work with us to gain some experience so this took some of the load off me

Thank Post
    oh and that sixth former now has my old job as I have moved on to another school.

Thank Post
    Best Bet would be to try and get an IT Apprenticeship like i am doing. If you want to know more info message me for my email

Thank Post
    Apprenticeship is the way to go. It's nice to see lots of other people started the same way I did. I got an apprenticeship at my old school after leaving college, experience is key obviously but any qualifications you can get are going to help you get your foot in the door. Volunteering is also a good idea, it shows you've got a keen interest and I'm sure there are plenty of schools in your local area that would be glad of the help.

Keep an eye on the jobs board of this site, I regularly see adverts for apprentice technicians.

Best of luck!

M0MST
    Matty94, Can you drive? or are you able to travel?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast