+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Year 10 - Looking for Work Experience in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hello, I've seen people talking about work experience for year 10s here, and I was curious if I could find ...

Thank Post

Question Year 10 - Looking for Work Experience

Hello, I've seen people talking about work experience for year 10s here, and I was curious if I could find something here. So, I've got work experience 7-11th July 2014 (I think) and I'm looking for places to go. I have basic knowledge of IT and things, having built my own computer by hand too, and I'm looking for some kind of thing with IT, or developing or something. If I had some places, I will start on writing a application too, that is why there is not much info here :P.

Anyways, thanks for looking, I'm based around Devon.

-Elliot

Thank Post
    Elliot,
    You're the first person I've seen being this proactive and on that merit alone I'd give you some experience if you were any where near! Unfortunately I'm in West Yorkshire, but I hope someone helps you out.
    All the best.
    Mic

Thank Post
    Have you tried asking your school?

In the past, we've taken on students for a week and get them to assist with a little office tidying - they tend to find stuff about their age hanging around and also setting up new policies to roll out software, run through of MDT, some shadowing while supporting staff etc. If you have a big network, then your school would be quite a good place to think about.

EDIT: As your location is listed as Exeter, there are loads of big IT places around there - Met Office, AI Corporation (yes, I know it sounds like an evil company from a weird robot film), I think Eclipse (ISP) is still based in Exeter and many more.
    Last edited by DrPerceptron; 4th October 2013 at 09:31 AM.

Thank Post
    It is also a good idea to look in your local rag for PC repair companies or IT solutions etc and give them a ring. Even your local council perhaps. Good luck.

Thank Post
    I'm in Torbay, but even that is a bit far to travel for work experience. You could also try Exeter University - they have a huge IT setup so you'd probably be best asking for their PC support team since that would probably get you the most relevant work experience for you based on what you've done.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Elliot
    If I were nearer - you would be very welcome here, too! I suggest you contact all the schools in your area as soon as possible. Are there any schools who take work experience people anyway - they might be happy to take you but on the IT side?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    Have you tried asking your school?

In the past, we've taken on students for a week and get them to assist with a little office tidying - they tend to find stuff about their age hanging around and also setting up new policies to roll out software, run through of MDT, some shadowing while supporting staff etc. If you have a big network, then your school would be quite a good place to think about.
    We have been asked in the past and our policy is we will not take our own students on work experience. I'd like to do it but it would (IMO) be a huge risk in terms of security and gaining access to things they shouldn't.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread