+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, NJC Payscales 07/08 in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Attached are the new pay-grades for Single Status spinal points. I believe the NJC are beginning discussions for next years ...
    Thank Post

NJC Payscales 07/08

Attached are the new pay-grades for Single Status spinal points. I believe the NJC are beginning discussions for next years agreement already - rather than in March like this year.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: NJC Payscales 07/08

Remeber guys that pay is for coventry (as we don't have a single pay scheme yet) so what figures are in that spreadsheet are what coventry people get paid...

Raise is approx. 2.475% this year and will be back dated from 1st April 07.

You will need to contact your lea for yours etc

I have attached Leicestershires..

Russell
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post

Sorry...mine was sent to me from a Pendle Borough Council worker...I should have mentioned that.

Though for the previous agreement Coventry and Pendle were exactly the same.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Way it works is this there national agreement on % incease (well leas would have to have very good reason not follow it).

But many years ago it wasn't so it meant different leas have different pay at different grades.

So while everyone gets same % increase money between different la's is not the same. This is reason why national pay scheme is coming so that grade 19 is same pay in all la's.

Russell

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    So while everyone gets same % increase money between different la's is not the same. This is reason why national pay scheme is coming so that grade 19 is same pay in all la's.
    Grade 19 - looking at your spreadsheet that means you've been moved to £94,149 - very nice

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

This is reason why national pay scheme is coming so that grade 19 is same pay in all la's.
    are you sure? they must retain some sort of regional variation or the south east will be left with no staff ! I thought the national scheme was to ensure someone doing a job in one area was on the same grade as someone in another area - not necessarily the same pay

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@cybernerd

What you thinking of is single status make sure everyboduy in same lea is getting same wage for the same job.

National payscheme is being created by dfes working group same pay, same grade across england and wales (not sure about you scotts).

Of course there will be london weighting etc it will work like teachers pay scheme with London weight etc etc

It is to stop trust schools from having very low wages as they don't have to follow county pay guidelines

Russell

Thank Post

Russ, you seem to know a lot about this, maybe you could help me understand it then.

My salary is not any of those shown up there... I haven't really had much information from anyone. Asked the head, he hasn't given me much, and have only had information from the LEA, which is very sketchy...

Maybe you could pm me or something, so I can discuss a bit further with you.

Cheers,

David

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries

There are a number of different strands going round when it comes to pay for support staff in schools.

Firstly, we find that most councils are running schemes called 'single status' or similar which is looking to make sure that there is equity of pay to work across all schools in the area. In some places this also goes across other areas of the council too. This means that a Network Manager doing jobs based round a certain job description (in principle anyway) will get the same as the network manager in another school on a similar job description. This scale and grade approach means some go up and some go down the scale.

The second is a national working party to look at doing the same across the whole of England and Wales. Some say that the LA version helps the national group by doing some of the work for them, others say that the LAs are trying to lower the wage bill and it could have knock on effects for other LAs.

The final goal is to have a national grade and scale structure so that all support staff in schools know what they will get across the country, the same way that teachers do, nurses do, police do ... and so on. It also makes it easier for unions to negotiate better deals and support larger numbers of people more efficiently (ie they do less work to get the same effect!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lovelldr
    Russ, you seem to know a lot about this, maybe you could help me understand it then.

My salary is not any of those shown up there... I haven't really had much information from anyone. Asked the head, he hasn't given me much, and have only had information from the LEA, which is very sketchy...

Maybe you could pm me or something, so I can discuss a bit further with you.

Cheers,

David
    PM Sent

Russell

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts

It seems odd to me that they are going down the route of "one pay scale wherever you are" when in most other respects schools are being expected to run as businesses and therefore they should be able to set their payscales the way they want to, as is done out there in the real world.
    As a governor, I am constantly amazed at the dual standards that schools are expected to implement, along the lines of: of yes, you are an independent body with responsibility for your own budget, but no, you can't decide to pay someone a bit more in order to get the right person for the job (perhaps in a school with a lot of 'difficult' children?)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@witch

Key here is that for every school that would pay worth there are lots of other schools that would pay minimum wage if had choice.

So idea is single pay scheme is so that people applying to trust school for example can see if wage on offer is good wage or a bad wage and to stop under paying staff.

russell

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts

@russdev:

What about support staff who have professional qualifications as to other support staff who don't, surely all the years of training should have some bearing on this.

Teachers with equivalent qualifications get good pay scales throughout the country (same pay scales) and some of them only have a degree in sociology but because of their time within education they have moved to the top of the scales. Some of these have indeed risen to dizzy heights (45k-50k) without doing any more training.

As everyone states schools have become 21st century businesses and so support staff should be paid accordingly to their qualifications and the complexity of their position.

Thank Post

I have to say that it is wrong to have people working hard and well and with a level of responsibility and not being adequately rewarded.

However, what about your level of knowledge and how good you are at your job? There appears to be no differentation, performance related pay if you will, for people who do a good job. I get paid the same as someone doing a bad job in a different establishment.

This type of blanket single status seems to me to play to the lowest common denominator in any given group. We (as a school) will only pay the rates for a bad Network Manager because the school up the road has a poor or lazy network manager (imaginary scenario before anyone asks) and we would not want them having to overpay.

What if our NM is great and is about to move on because we CAN'T pay them what they deserve anymore. We could give them more responsibilty but that would take away the fact we want a great NM to actually be a NM.

It is a shame that we can now no longer employ the right person for the job and have to go with someone who is prepared to put up with peanuts. I think we all know what you get when you pay peanuts, Network Monkeys.

I have no idea what a satisfactory solution is, but this certainly isn't it.

Skunk

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    @russdev:
    Teachers with equivalent qualifications get good pay scales throughout the country (same pay scales) and some of them only have a degree in sociology but because of their time within education they have moved to the top of the scales. Some of these have indeed risen to dizzy heights (45k-50k) without doing any more training.
    I get paid half of what most of the teachers here do...

I daren't even think about the H.o.D's

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information