+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Technical CV in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I am looking for some advise on how to made a good Technical CV. I have a personal profile on ...

Thank Post

Technical CV

I am looking for some advise on how to made a good Technical CV.

I have a personal profile on the first page as this was something suggested to me and the other two pages are about my education and working History.

Some agencies think my CV is good and other don't.

So if any of you could suggest any links or give me some layout advice i would be all the happier for it.

Thanks

Thank Post

Re: Technical CV

Quote Originally Posted by paulhyman
    I am looking for some advise on how to made a good Technical CV.

I have a personal profile on the first page as this was something suggested to me and the other two pages are about my education and working History.

Some agencies think my CV is good and other don't.

So if any of you could suggest any links or give me some layout advice i would be all the happier for it.

Thanks
    Sounds like your CV is three pages, which is two many. Stick to two and the personal profile should be brief if you want to include one at all.

1st Page

Name, Contact Details

Employment History (including brief details of duties and projects undertaken)

2nd Page

Education (Brief details of GCSE's and A-Levels. Don't list every subject and grade)

Training
    If you've been on a lot of courses be selective and include those that are relevant to the person specification.

References (include full details or just put 'available on request')

You may want to include IT skills, but these can be covered in your duties under the work history section.

Your employment history (particularly current position) is the most important section and is the area recruiters will take the most notice of.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I am going to go against the crowd here say it should be one page.....

Thats right I said one page. I can hear you cry "but I can't fit everything in one page " well let me tell you how.

Go over and listen to this podcast http://www.manager-tools.com/2005/10...resume-stinks/

Then I suggest you listen to all other podcast as well but that is besides the point.

Russell

Russell

Thank Post

OK
    Thanks Russ and torledo

Russ I will watch them when i get home.

What does tick me off is when you apply for something on one of the websites and all the details are on the CV and in the cover letter. Yet they don't bother reading any of it and ask you the same questions, or they will tell you about jobs that have nothing to do with your experience or knowledge.

I have recently changed my CV because the old was a right sorry state as i took advise from someone that everyone said knew about CV and she hope students write CV's as well.

All i can say is not that impressive so started again, and i would like to review it again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've always gone for the 2 page CV, and so far haven't been turned down for a job...

The general advice about what should be included is bang on from that site though.

Thank Post

2 pages is about right, and seperated as well. one about you, one about what you've done, some companies will prefer one aspect to another, some wont care about one of the two.

important thing is that it reflects you. if your super qualified, highlight that. If you have personal skills talk about those.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Well I'm terrible at CVs and mine is 3 pages long, but I have done so much relivant stuff in terms of volenteering and work that really it needs to stay. I have had some help from an IT Recruitment firm this last week or so to update it and get it in a better shape and it is much better now than it was and more structured, but the proof is in the pudding and if i now get interviews and offers from it then its worked otherwise its not

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts

The personal bit at the beginning can be very short and in two columns to save space. Don't list GCSEs if you have a lot, just say the number 'including English and Maths'. Don't put full address of school etc.
    After education and training (relevant only) you can put 'Technical Knowledge' and list your particular skillset (you can include management and stuff as well) - changing it for each job you apply for. This means that the things that will get you the job are on the front page which is important as this is what employers see.
    THEN employment, current job first - preferably in the third person. Ruthlessly prune irrelevant jobs.
    And as for the one page CV, Russ - my husband has been in the workplace for a long time and has many many relevant skills - I did try, but couldn't do it!!

Thank Post

its seems really odd, but my last two jobs have been achived through the local pub, its been a case of being in the right place at the right time. How weird is that! But i do try and keep my cv up to date as its always a good thing to do regardless of weather your looking for a new job or not. I think a 2 page clear and to the point cv will do juctice. Remember to tweak it for he job your applying for.

Thank Post

The important bit is keep it brief and relevant. Remember a CV is only a 'advertisment' to get them interested and offer an interview, you don't have to put all the tinest details on there.

An over detailed CV could put some people off, as they'll then think there's nothing more to know about you, so won't be so inclined to offer an interview.

Mike.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    I am going to go against the crowd here say it should be one page.....

Thats right I said one page. I can hear you cry "but I can't fit everything in one page " well let me tell you how.

Go over and listen to this podcast http://www.manager-tools.com/2005/10...resume-stinks/

Then I suggest you listen to all other podcast as well but that is besides the point.

Russell

Russell
    One page ?!! Sacre-blu!!! that really is blue skies thinking

I can hear a tear in the space time continuom when you suggested that - but I think you're right and that's probably the way things will have to go. I always hear how employers are too busy during the recruitment process so are forced to briefly scour a cv. A one page that has the right impact should do the trick.

Oh yes, and as per another suggestion you should state x GCSE's at C or above including Maths and English (we've all got Maths and English right ?)

That's all an employer will care about (that you can read and count)

Thank Post

...and type out your cv (it may seem obvious, but people still send in hand written ones), even if asked for a hand written version (attach the typed copy) I hated reading hand written cv's, and they usually went to the bottom of the pile if there were a lot to get through.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    THEN employment, current job first - preferably in the third person. Ruthlessly prune irrelevant jobs.
    OK you probably don't have to put down the library shelf stacker job you had during college but don't you have to avoid having gaps in your employment history? You may have spent year at Woolworths before getting your big break in IT

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Also good thing to remember is that you are writing a technical CV but very good chance it is being read by non-technical person. So think about what they expect from CV not what you expect from CV.

Russell

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by beeswax
    ...and type out your cv (it may seem obvious, but people still send in hand written ones), even if asked for a hand written version (attach the typed copy) I hated reading hand written cv's, and they usually went to the bottom of the pile if there were a lot to get through.
    What's the general consensus on handwritten or typed application forms ?

A lot of application forms are made available online in PDF and Word format. I always where possible fill it out on the computer (using a handwriting-esque font) before printing out. Obviously if the form is sent to me in the post I generally don't bother with scanning it in..I just fill it in by hand..but my handwriting is truly awful.

Do employers have a preference ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast