+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 87
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Job Interview Tips & Advice in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hey I have applied for a few jobs in schools, one has got back to me and has invited me ...
  1. #1

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,054
    Thank Post
    888
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    454

    Job Interview Tips & Advice

    Hey

    I have applied for a few jobs in schools, one has got back to me and has invited me for an interview and a test. I'm not sure what the test is the person who I spoke to didn't have any more information about it. someone suggested it could be a computer with a fault of some kind and i will tested on how i identify the fault and fix the problem.

    Please can you give me some tips and advice please?

    Thank You

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kendal
    Posts
    1,555
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 177 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

    Ok - reading your posts you seem to know plenty about ICT so you should be ok on that front.

    When I'm recruiting I'm looking for someone who will fit with a) my team and b) our school ethos. Someone with a reasonable amount of tech skills and good people skills I can cope with - they can always learn more tech stuff. Someone with rubbish people skills generally can't be taught them no matter what technical skills they have.

    You need to try and find out some stuff about the school in general and relax into it. Try to be confident but not cocky. Ask questions but don't worry about being quiet some of the time (particularly on tours of the school etc). Don't come across as a know it all.

    Personally when I'm doing this I don't like smart arses - eg. We were having an group chat with candidates once and backups came up so I described our backup and one guy said "I suppose it doesn't matter much - being a school you don't have any valuable data" - guess how far he went in the selection process!!

    Hope this helps and good luck.

  3. #3
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48

    Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings
    Ok - reading your posts you seem to know plenty about ICT so you should be ok on that front.

    When I'm recruiting I'm looking for someone who will fit with a) my team and b) our school ethos. Someone with a reasonable amount of tech skills and good people skills I can cope with - they can always learn more tech stuff. Someone with rubbish people skills generally can't be taught them no matter what technical skills they have.

    You need to try and find out some stuff about the school in general and relax into it. Try to be confident but not cocky. Ask questions but don't worry about being quiet some of the time (particularly on tours of the school etc). Don't come across as a know it all.

    Personally when I'm doing this I don't like smart arses - eg. We were having an group chat with candidates once and backups came up so I described our backup and one guy said "I suppose it doesn't matter much - being a school you don't have any valuable data" - guess how far he went in the selection process!!

    Hope this helps and good luck.
    Make sure you go for a shit WELL before your interview. And wipe properly.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    235
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

    1. Turn up 30 minutes late, they will be impressed that you were in demand else where and offer you the position on the spot.

    2. Make sure you refer to SEN pupils as retards this will impress any management on the selection panel.

  5. #5
    Oops_my_bad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Man chest hair
    Posts
    1,738
    Thank Post
    438
    Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by torledo
    Make sure you go for a shit WELL before your interview. And wipe properly.
    LOLOLOL

  6. #6

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,054
    Thank Post
    888
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    454

    Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

    @torledo & Jose i will take note of that advice thanks

  7. #7

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,240
    Thank Post
    1,058
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    740

    Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

    Make sure you go for a shit WELL before your interview. And wipe properly.
    ...and if you have to break wind - make sure its silent. And for god's sake don't follow through.

  8. #8
    Midget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Posts
    1,298
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 59 Times in 49 Posts
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

    if you DO fart. Turn on the radio.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

    Definitely do some research on the school beforehand. I have generally heard that it is good to show that you have done some research and have some knowledge of the school and it's mission/purpose.

    I have had "test" like you've mentioned before. One of them the computer wouldn't start because there wasn't a keyboard plugged in and the BIOS was set to halt on all errors....Real advanced stuff.

    Good luck on your interview.

  10. #10
    steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,043
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 177 Times in 123 Posts
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

    For tests I've been through and set, they are usually half knowledge half common sense.

    Make sure things are plugged in, the contrast isn't turned down on the monitor, the printer isn't set to offline, etc.

    Its so easy to try and go into an issue and think its a highly technical problem, when someone has just pulled out the Ethernet cable.

    Read the OFSTED report

    Topics usually in an interview:

    Prioritising work loads
    Training (you're always willing to learn)
    Dealing with pupils
    Where you see yourself in the future


    Ask questions at the end of the interview

    Money / conditions
    Annual ICT budget equipment etc.
    Who manages the ICT budget?
    Future of school - BSF / trust status / academy
    Local Authority Job Evaluation process / progress

  11. #11
    apeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Lost
    Posts
    1,612
    Thank Post
    95
    Thanked 115 Times in 111 Posts
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by steve
    Ask questions at the end of the interview

    Money / conditions
    Annual ICT budget equipment etc.
    Who manages the ICT budget?
    Future of school - BSF / trust status / academy
    Local Authority Job Evaluation process / progress
    I generally dont bring up Money unless they do myself, and I would allow them to make an offer if/when they offer the job. As for the rest i would assume it holds true for someone going for a management position but i wouldnt expect a techy to ask such questions.

  12. #12

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,054
    Thank Post
    888
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    454

    Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by steve
    For tests I've been through and set, they are usually half knowledge half common sense.

    Make sure things are plugged in, the contrast isn't turned down on the monitor, the printer isn't set to offline, etc.

    Its so easy to try and go into an issue and think its a highly technical problem, when someone has just pulled out the Ethernet cable.

    Read the OFSTED report

    Topics usually in an interview:

    Prioritising work loads
    Training (you're always willing to learn)
    Dealing with pupils
    Where you see yourself in the future


    Ask questions at the end of the interview

    Money / conditions
    Annual ICT budget equipment etc.
    Who manages the ICT budget?
    Future of school - BSF / trust status / academy
    Local Authority Job Evaluation process / progress
    Hi, I have already read the ofstead report, basically the school needs to improve with literacy and behaviour with pupils when they are unsupervised.

    When you mention Prioritising work loads, how would i do this what would you consider a priority. I would consider Electronic registers eg sims (although that is mentioned in the job description) as a priority. What else would you consider?

    Thanks

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kendal
    Posts
    1,555
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 177 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

    I think you need to be able to rationalise how you would prioritise your workload when you have 10 jobs on your desk and all the people are telling you theirs is the most important.

  14. #14

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,406
    Thank Post
    640
    Thanked 961 Times in 661 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    324

    Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

    Anything that affects the teaching and learning of students I would call a priority. If SMT/SLT place demands on you at a time when you are dealing with a higher priority; the best thing to do is to get them to tell you they are happy you give them your attention instead of the higher priority - in writing!

  15. #15

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,240
    Thank Post
    1,058
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    740

    Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings
    I think you need to be able to rationalise how you would prioritise your workload when you have 10 jobs on your desk and all the people are telling you theirs is the most important.
    The most important will be YOUR cup of coffee - [ if its first thing in the morning...... ]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [WDS] Tips for beginners
    By GrumbleDook in forum O/S Deployment
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 24th August 2011, 12:59 PM
  2. [RIS] Tips for beginners
    By tarquel in forum O/S Deployment
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 8th July 2009, 04:23 PM
  3. AD Clean Up Tips
    By RobFuller in forum Windows
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11th January 2008, 11:11 PM
  4. One||Zero Hints and Tips
    By Ric_ in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 15th June 2007, 11:08 AM
  5. Newbie Interview Advice
    By crc-ict in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 8th May 2006, 10:18 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •