+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Job Interview Tips & Advice in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester Hey I have applied for a few jobs in schools, one has got back to me ...
    Thank Post

Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester
    Hey

I have applied for a few jobs in schools, one has got back to me and has invited me for an interview and a test. I'm not sure what the test is the person who I spoke to didn't have any more information about it. someone suggested it could be a computer with a fault of some kind and i will tested on how i identify the fault and fix the problem.

Please can you give me some tips and advice please?

Thank You
    Final bit of advise, on a lighter a note, send them a photograph....

On second thoughts no don't. Unless they're recruiting for the lead role in
    a stage adaptation of Billy Elliott.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Intense?? It would be easier to get a job at MI5!
    Getting a job at MI5 is not too hard nowadays ...

You just have to have been to the right school / university / rugby club ...

erm ...

I'll get my coat, it is the long black leather one with a KGB manual in the pocket!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torledo
    Worth it ? For them or for you.

If working for you really is worth all that jumping thru hoops and they're reasonably well renumerated and they develop as people and go on to bigger and better things then I don't have a problem with that. And I have no reason to think the successful candidates aren't. But Anything less and well it's a bit sadistic, but then i suppose it's something for them to talk about when they leave dissapointed (or relieved) that they didn't get the gig.
    It weeds out those that can blag to senior manglement, those that don't like kids, those that rely on others to the extent that they do not take ownership of their own jobs.

It finds those that can take in a lot of information in short time, those that can improvise and adapt, those who have the potential to go on to bigger and better things.

It is not a *fun* process, but it is not as nasty as when I was first taught how to do interviews like this ...

At least I provide the complete technical library and access to the 'Net during the hands-on test, there is always someone available to answer queries about how the school approaches things during the written test and whilst they are walking round with me the leading questions are aimed at giving an idea about what areas to ask them about during the interview which will allow them to sell themselves in an honest and open manner.

I am truly lucky to have the team I have, lead by a hard-working NM, with the team having a broad range of skills and interests.

I have been lucky to have 3 placement students that have been wonderful and the present one is of the same mold.

I would rather readvertise than pick someone who cannot do the job and is the top of a small bunch.

Thank Post

I went for an interview at the Kent Messenger group a while back. They had a group interview as the first stage, which is really weird as you get to see all the other people you're competeing against. The first thing they did was get you to introduce yourself and state what you're current role is, and what professional qualifications you have (if any.) There were somne really well qualified people around the table, and then me with (at the time) '2 years experience as a network manager, and no profesional qualifications' They invited me back for a second interview thou, which goes to show al those bits of paper don't always count!

The best part of the group interview was building a giraffe from newspaper in a team. Very origenal and funny task for an interview. It was that which got me the second interview as I named ours 'norris' with a little name badge round it's neck. They said they could see I had a sense of humour from that, and that was the main reason they invited me back.

I guess the moral here is don't be afraid to be yourself, remember it's you they're employing the person, not just because of what you know/can do.

Mike.

Edit: I didn't get the job after the second interview needless to say. They did say it was 'close' but then they would say that!

Thank Post

What age group is the school mate?

to go along with the pen thing, a diary/notepad is always useful (especially If you have the memory of a fish like me)

On your tour of the computer rooms engage with some of the students briefly e.g ask them what they are up to, what programs they are using etc. Was told that was why I got my job as I seemed "approachable".

Obvious one but tell them what they want to here, all schools are on a tight budget so anything money saving you can add to the conversation is great. Tell them about something you "ad hocked (bodged)" and worked brilliantly. Another thing that suprises me when I go to different juniors is how many dont have the photocopiers networked and are using expensive printers. Without being cocky advise them on plumbing them in to the network.

From what ive seen on this forum you will do great in your interview so don't worry, nerves are the main thing that can hold you back in an interview.

Good Luck

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by titch
    What age group is the school mate?
    Its a high school, it is closing down they have not taken any year 7's this year so its only a 3 year job. (What could possibly benefit me as this may put people off from applying)

The age range is 12 - 16 year 8 - 11.

Thank Post

I kid you not! Mind you there were only 3 people that applied and all got interviewed. The only one I could recommend was the chap who mentioned the word ‘domain’. At least he was halfway there. One chap was dismissed on the teacher has a virus on the laptop question as he said he would ‘check the teachers floppy’s’. He was a nice person and I would have recommended him if he was to work in a team but as he was the only one to support ICT in the school his out dated knowledge let him down. Mind you after saying that I worked with the candidate they did hire for about 10 hours to show him the ropes and I then found out that he only had a win98 machine at home.

When I was interviewed 2 years ago at my present school the only test I did was to make a new user, move the user to a certain OU then delete the user. I was told they interviewed candidates who had degrees but they hired me. The only reason I can think of is because I was cheep and could do the job.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ok so if i ask what type of network they have that will go down well eg should i ask if they have a Windows only or Windows with RM CC3.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

First I would like to point out I do not get money from following website but just think it is very good resource as this is about second time in days I have posted this site.

The good folk at Manager Tools once again come to rescue.

You have all heard of Pascal's Wager well meet Hostman's Wager

http://www.manager-tools.com/2007/09...r-part-2-of-2/

I won;t repeat the podcast but basic crutch of it is that playing the interview game isn't a good long term career strategy.

I have not brought/got there interview series of podcast but if you buy years worth of premium membership before end of tomorrow you get interview series which sells at 150 for free.

I plan do this myself tomorrow as site is great resource.

Anyway

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have been to interviews purely to see how other places do things and to get ideas.

The Head has no problem with me, or any of the team, looking around for promotion and looking to improve ourselves.

We have an issue if they want out because the place is rubbish or they have problems. That means there is something wrong that needs sorting, sometimes it might be the schools but sometimes it is the member of staff that wants to leave.

I love where I am and what I am allowed to do, but I have always said that me in my present role has a 5 year shelf life, then I would have to look for something else, either in the school or outside.

I just need challenges.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    I have been to interviews purely to see how other places do things and to get ideas.

The Head has no problem with me, or any of the team, looking around for promotion and looking to improve ourselves.

We have an issue if they want out because the place is rubbish or they have problems. That means there is something wrong that needs sorting, sometimes it might be the schools but sometimes it is the member of staff that wants to leave.

I love where I am and what I am allowed to do, but I have always said that me in my present role has a 5 year shelf life, then I would have to look for something else, either in the school or outside

I just need challenges.
    I'm in a similar position to you. I love what I'm doing at the moment but my position is also a 4-5 year shelf for me personally. Part of it is wanting new challenges but also wanting to see some new faces and a new environment. Although a 10K pay rise would no doubt convince me otherwise but part of the reason the role has a 5 year shelf file max is because I know that isn't going to happen. 5 years also gives me ample opportunity to implement the changes that are needed and to finish work that is outstanding so that whoever replaces me doesn't spend their first weeks or months finishing off something i've started.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

You two should be called Magnus Magnusson -

I've started, so I'll finish.....

Last job I had - 15 years, this one so far - 3.5 years - went for a NM managers position a few months back at different school just for the experience - school had all sorts of problems with the IT, could have sorted it but decided not too - got down to last two people going for it, lucky for me they offered it to the other person - [ poor sod ]

Not sure how long I'll stay where I am at the moment, they are soooooo flexible when it comes to me working etc its great - I could not ask for anything more...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the advice guys the interview is tomorrow i am just going over any gaps in my knowledge.

Thanks allot.

Thank Post

Good Luck :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

What sorts of things do people say when your asked the age old "What can you bring to us" question (or one phrased to mean the same thing) I hate that question as its soooo wide, i say things like team work, new skills and ideas (especially if they have said that i have done summat they are wanting to do), but im always a bit unsure what to say.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast