+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Job Interview Tips & Advice in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; There may be no 'I' in team ... but there is a 'me'! Never forget that a team is made ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Job Interview Tips & Advice

There may be no 'I' in team ... but there is a 'me'!

Never forget that a team is made up of individuals and the sum of the parts should be greater than when separate, but the quickest way to lose the benefit of having a team is by forgetting or ignoring the individual needs.

Thank Post

I've recently (last week) been offered a senior post elsewhere (outside education) on the back of a good interview. My tips are fairly simple for I.T. interviews:

1. Expect to be grilled on technical issues, but it's also likely that you'll have a short 5-10 question questionaire to fill in prior to the interview, a bit like a mini-competancy test. So brush up on your weak spots and remember, 90% of the time there will be at least 2 DOS related command questions, a DNS/network question and generally a "prioritising workload" question!

2. Try to be honest, I always try to answer as honestly as possible without making myself out to be a plonker. I also don't like the idea of starting a new job with them expecting me to do something I have no experience of (but said I did in the interview). It's fairly easy to trip yourself up in an interview with one comment that the interviewers pick up on, so honesty is the best policy.

3. New shirt and tie, polish those shoes and put on your best trousers. you don't have to wear a suit (I never do) as put simply, some people like myself look stupid in them. However there's no excuse for going to an interview in your work clothes and having obviously put no effort into it. Most I.T. interviewers know only too well that you're shoes, shirts and trousers suffer when crawling under desks or in ceilings, but for an interview you don't have that excuse.

4. Stress that you like working in a team, but don't make out that you're incompetent if left on your own. Teamwork is essential in I.T. and becoming more so, but you also have to have the ability to "go solo". I.T. managers don't like having to pair people up unless the workload dictates it.

5. Always ask questions after at the end, never simply say "no I've no questions." If one of the interviewers does the job you're applying for then ask them what they're typical day would be, how jobs are allocated, how the team is structured. 3 or 4 questions max though as time will be limited before the next candidate arrives and you want to give them time to talk about how great you are!

6. Posture - look relaxed but sit straight and watch your shoulders don't slump. Keep your hands in sight and don't fiddle.

7. Eye contact - look at everyone when answering - in the eyes, smile when speaking about your past experiences and ensure you get a nod or two out of those you're looking at, it's good confirmation that you're point is being recieved.

8. Don't "uhm" and "err". If you need to stall before answering then take a breath but dont' suck atmosphere too long. You are allowed to think about your answers and you can talk slowly and reinforce your points with gestures. It's difficult to explain but doing so properly can make a short answer have more of an impact and you'll seem more sincere than someone blurting out the first answer they come up with.

9. I was asked what issues I'd run into during my time in my current post, I hadn't actually thought of any prior to going in but came up with a simple one involving SIDs and mentioned the issues it caused and the ways of rectifying it. Always tell them how you fixed it, including any little utilities and commands, at least that way they know you actually did it and aren't making the whole thing up.

10. Learn about the organisation you've applied to work with, any sister organisations but most importantly if there's any abreviations in the job description - find out what they mean! They could be more important than you'd expect!

11. It's OK to admit when you don't know something or where your knowledge is weak, but put a positive slide on it by saying "I've had little experience of this, but as with everything else i'll brush up and learn it very quickly." My friends always think I'm daft for admiting that I'm rubbish at something in an interview, but I've had 7 interviews in my life and I've always been offered the job.

12. Lastly "why are you moving / why do you want this post". Mention new challenges and career progression. Many people are scared to say they they're out to better themselves but lets face it an employee without ambition is more likely to become lazy after a year or two.

Thank Post

Our tour of the school is done by a bunch of responsible students who then give feedback to the interview panel. Their opinion counts to about 20-25% of our 'points' system depending on the role.

Make sure you come across as 'kid friendly' and talk with confidence.

HBJB

Thank Post

The Slough Office of Wernham Hogg has now closed and moved north!!

@Grumbledook

Very philosophical Tony. Indeed, a team is nothing without its individuals and you want your individuals to work both, together and independently but for the same cause which is where the no I comes in.

I would like one mate to eat with another mate as well as with me if that is not tame and we certainly don't want any of us to be treated like a mat

sorry can't think of any other words in team.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Would they eat some meat together?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@halfmad

Succinctly put and fantastic advice. Did you take the job?

Thank Post

I sat on the interview panel last year when my old school was recruiting for a technician. It really opened my eyes on the interview process having only been the interviewee before. After asking the technical questions I gave them a task to do on a spare 2003 box.

There is a user called Joe Black who is complaining that he can not access the files in the share ‘server1\staffonly’. Give him access to the files and explain your actions.

I didn’t think the task was that hard but not one of the candidates could do the task. It makes you think!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    @halfmad

Succinctly put and fantastic advice. Did you take the job?
    I'm still awaiting the official offer for it as I haven't had any details of the pay they're offering, although I know the pay scale (miles higher than my current one!). Essentially if they match or beat what I'm on then I'll take it - opportunities like this don't come along that often for us poor folks without degrees

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jobos
    I sat on the interview panel last year when my old school was recruiting for a technician. It really opened my eyes on the interview process having only been the interviewee before. After asking the technical questions I gave them a task to do on a spare 2003 box.

There is a user called Joe Black who is complaining that he can not access the files in the share ‘server1\staffonly’. Give him access to the files and explain your actions.

I didn’t think the task was that hard but not one of the candidates could do the task. It makes you think!
    Practical tests like that are a great idea, I had one when I joined the council 8/9 years ago. Essentially they lined up 5 faulty computers and asked me to tell them what was wrong with each one from either the error message or the hardware fault it was giving. They were all fairly simple (Mac had a dead battery, Dell had a faulty HDD clunking away). Then asked me how I'd make a new user with the same groups etc as an existing one - then asked me to do it on the spare NT box nearby.

I always think it's a good idea to put in actual faults people would see, rather than just theory and their opinions of how things should be done. It helps prove a skill level as well as allowing good candidates to show off a bit

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries

I really appreciate your advise thanks again

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Some people think I am evil for the way we have interviews of support staff.

They get a tour with me where they are bombarded with information and leading questions, they have a short written test (a cheeky one actually ... it gives them 12 questions and asks them to answer the 3 most appropriate for their skills and experience ... at the beginning it say to read all the test and follow instructions on the last page ... the instruction is to answer three Qs ... and we still get 50% answer more than three!), they have a hands on test (based around user management, OUs, GPOs and DNS) and not forgetting the panel of students to see how they react to kids.

This is topped off with a formal interview where we pick their brains about information they have been given during the day.

Intense, but worth it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Intense?? It would be easier to get a job at MI5!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts

You are kidding ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts

they have a short written test (a cheeky one actually ... it gives them 12 questions and asks them to answer the 3 most appropriate for their skills and experience ... at the beginning it say to read all the test and follow instructions on the last page ...
    Is this to spot a techie who actually RTFMs ? ;-)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Some people think I am evil for the way we have interviews of support staff.

They get a tour with me where they are bombarded with information and leading questions, they have a short written test (a cheeky one actually ... it gives them 12 questions and asks them to answer the 3 most appropriate for their skills and experience ... at the beginning it say to read all the test and follow instructions on the last page ... the instruction is to answer three Qs ... and we still get 50% answer more than three!), they have a hands on test (based around user management, OUs, GPOs and DNS) and not forgetting the panel of students to see how they react to kids.

This is topped off with a formal interview where we pick their brains about information they have been given during the day.

Intense, but worth it.
    Worth it ? For them or for you.

If working for you really is worth all that jumping thru hoops and they're reasonably well renumerated and they develop as people and go on to bigger and better things then I don't have a problem with that. And I have no reason to think the successful candidates aren't. But Anything less and well it's a bit sadistic, but then i suppose it's something for them to talk about when they leave dissapointed (or relieved) that they didn't get the gig.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast