+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, IT technician seeks Work Experience in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I have completed my degree in BSc (ordinary i know it sound crap) this year however i have applied so ...
    AJK

Thank Post

IT technician seeks Work Experience

I have completed my degree in BSc (ordinary i know it sound crap) this year however i have applied so many jobs and i havnt got any luck with it. however i have gained some of the qualification such as:

BSc ICT (ordinary)
    Informatic (foundation Degrees)
    GNVQ Advanced ICT
    CISCO - I.T Essentials: PC Hardware & Software
    GNVQ Intermediate ICT

If anyone in UK, willing to take me on free or paid however it is i be much appreciated.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 25th July 2013 at 02:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    I have edited your thread title, so that people know what you are after.

Unfortunately, the job market is very poor still and you have hit the Catch 22 situation where you can't get experience without work and yet nobody will offer you a job without experience. It's tough, especially for new graduates.

Can you give more detail on what your qualifications have taught you please, bullet points will do, so that the other edugeeks can see how they might be able to use you over the summer. (I have a BSc in Computer Science for example, but did the first year of my degree using punch cards and the first DOS, not windows, PCs came in during my final year... I am OLD ... so it's hard to judge what you know from a qualification title alone!)

Are you able to travel? e.g. Do you have relatives living somewhere other than your home town who might be able to put you up while you get some experience further afield.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 25th July 2013 at 02:12 PM.

Thank Post
    I see that you listed out all of your qualifications what you have achieved so far. But have you had any other work experiences (retails, catering, education, etc)?

IT is not all about Technical stuff.

You also have to demonstrate to your prospective employer that you have interpersonal skills and business skill?

This is just my general view of my current role anyway.

So when you applied for those jobs, did you have any replies? Did you have any interviews?

Thank Post
    I agree with everyone else that skills mean a lot more than qualifications. Quals are a good way to gauge whether you meet the technical requirements for the job and if it's suitable for you, but your skills are how you separate yourself from the crowd. Supawat1 said it perfectly about IT not being just about the technical stuff. Especially when you're starting out, you'll find that a lot of roles in IT will be very customer facing.

Also, I'm just being overly picky, but even though forums are informal, it's still worth avoiding certain words and double checking your spelling/grammar. It presents a much more professional image of you.

I hope you manage to find something anyway!

Thank Post
    If you were in our area, I'd consider you for a voluntary position (sorry, can't pay) but would compensate with experience and training.

If we are willing to consider, I would assume that others would do the same (especially now during summer when a lot of the project work is being done).

Thank Post
    Have you tried voluntering at local schools and colleges? When I finished education I couldnt find a job, I did about 8 months at a local secondary school unpaid work while working at a DIY chain part time. This experience helped me get my job now. This is my second job in IT (first wasnt in a school).

Thank Post
    My advice would be to set up your own business and sell your services directly to schools. It has its downsides but there are plenty of advantages in working for yourself. Happy to give advice if required.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AJK View Post
    I have completed my degree in BSc (ordinary i know it sound crap) this year however i have applied so many jobs and i havnt got any luck with it. however i have gained some of the qualification such as:

BSc ICT (ordinary)
    Informatic (foundation Degrees)
    GNVQ Advanced ICT
    CISCO - I.T Essentials: PC Hardware & Software
    GNVQ Intermediate ICT

If anyone in UK, willing to take me on free or paid however it is i be much appreciated.
    Whats your location?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    Whats your location?
    He is in Wakefield

Thank Post
    I might be able to set you up with something voluntary in the short term for a school in Wakefield, but I'll have to look into it for you. PM me your contact details and I'll get in touch.

Thank Post
    If you are after a school job call every school in your area and offer your services free of charge.

I do not have any IT qualifications however, for my first technician job I beat out 119 other applicants thanks to being sociable during the tests and tours and having a few weeks of voluntary experience in another local school. It shows willingness and it shows you are serious about IT in schools instead of school IT because the job is open.

Thank Post
    Drop me an email with your Cv and tell me what you're good at and I will have a poke around @ Smoothwall Leeds. We're often short of bodies...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread