+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Sims Support Technician..West Mids in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi Guys, sorry to have a first post advertising something. Heres the job advert, applications as per the job.. http://www2.walsall.gov.uk/jobshop/J...p?JobRef=TV439 ...

Thank Post

Sims Support Technician..West Mids

Hi Guys, sorry to have a first post advertising something.

Heres the job advert, applications as per the job..

http://www2.walsall.gov.uk/jobshop/J...p?JobRef=TV439

Thanks
    Mart

Thank Post

Re: Sims Support Technician..West Mids

Quote Originally Posted by somouk
    Hi Guys, sorry to have a first post advertising something.

Heres the job advert, applications as per the job..

http://www2.walsall.gov.uk/jobshop/J...p?JobRef=TV439

Thanks
    Mart
    Nice school, great location....crap job.

Notice how they sneaked in "....and genereal responsibility for the curriculum network" or words to that effect - knowing full well that no-one but a capita consultant can spend 30+ hours a week supporting SIMS.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd be more inclined to see it as the role for whoever sets up marksheets etc... And the extra responsibilities are added just in case they are needed during the day?

Thank Post

Bear in mind that I wrote the JD on this and you are right. No one in their right mind could spend entire weeks just working on SIMS.

The extra bits on the curriculum network are basic admin jobs that IMO everyone on the IT team should help out with. Such as resetting passwords, accounts and setting up PC's as and when.

Its not too bad a role really and the money should reflect that we are after someone with good experience of the education sector and SIMS. I'm just hoping we get more than the 1 application so far 8O

Regards
    Mart

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries

Does the post come with sedatives to deaden the pain of having to work with Sims all day?

Thank Post

Bear in mind that I wrote the JD on this and you are right. No one in their right mind could spend entire weeks just working on SIMS.

The extra bits on the curriculum network are basic admin jobs that IMO everyone on the IT team should help out with. Such as resetting passwords, accounts and setting up PC's as and when.

Its not too bad a role really and the money should reflect that we are after someone with good experience of the education sector and SIMS. I'm just hoping we get more than the 1 application so far 8O

Regards
    Mart
    I think the money is perfectly reasonable - very good in fact. But it sounds like you're effectively advertising for a DBA-focused member of an IT systems team - rather than an out and out DBA guru. Although I'm sure there must be some SIMS gurus out there who are fed up with having to do the other tasks in IT admin and would prefer to focus on SIMS support. Alternatively it sounds like a great job for an outstanding Computer science graduate - they all will have covered RDBMS theory and used Oracle or MySQL in their projects/assignments and it wouldn't take them long to get up to speed with SIMS - so long as you pony up for some training.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by torledo

Regards
    Mart
    I think the money is perfectly reasonable - very good in fact. But it sounds like you're effectively advertising for a DBA-focused member of an IT systems team - rather than an out and out DBA guru. Although I'm sure there must be some SIMS gurus out there who are fed up with having to do the other tasks in IT admin and would prefer to focus on SIMS support. Alternatively it sounds like a great job for an outstanding Computer science graduate - they all will have covered RDBMS theory and used Oracle or MySQL in their projects/assignments and it wouldn't take them long to get up to speed with SIMS - so long as you pony up for some training.
    An interesting take on it. I never thought of it that way...

Training is negotiable, I know there won't be many SIMS admins about so someone with a good general knowledge of education and IT who can show an aptitiude to learning quickly could do well..

Regards
    Mart

Thank Post

Certainly looks interesting. No answer on the phones so I've emailed my interest.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread