+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Average Salary for A School ICT Support Officer? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I'm not sure if this is the right thread but thought I'd get the most responses here. What is, on ...

Thank Post

Arrow Average Salary for A School ICT Support Officer?

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but thought I'd get the most responses here. What is, on average, the salary for an ICT Support Officer in a primary school in Birmingham?

I've just been offered a job there and wasn't sure what the going rate was. Any help is much appreciated. I know it depends on experience and all this, but this is just an average across the industry in that local area.
    Thank you!

Thank Post
    16K - 20K ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does that mean an IT Technician or someone to help in the classes or what? Can you help by posting the job desc/spec and person desc/spec please

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    As nephilim says, what's the job description? Education is fond of using the same support job title to mean 8 different things depending on which way the wind is blowing that morning. There's a big difference between "that job title, meaning classroom assistant in the it suite" and "that title, meaning site-wide IT support technician" and "that title, meaning IT manager, except that this particular school won't use the word 'manager' for support role job titles".

Thank Post
    Techie in Brum 12-16k dependent on experience and Job description also check it's not pro rata as some schools are very crafty and advertise at full salary only to inform you at interview that it is pro rata.

Network Manager comes in at 18-24k dependent on job description and experience

Birmingham Council school really under value ICT staff compared to Sollhull (29-32k for Network Manager, Dudley 26-30k) But a job is a job you can find more information on pay scales at ebriefing.bgfl.org

6. Thanks to DocHouse from:

lordra (25th June 2013)

Thank Post

Question Job Description

Frankly, I'm shocked to have received so many replies so quickly! Here is the job description:

1.1 To provide an efficient and effective ICT Technical Support Service to the ICT Operations Manager/Network Manager (where applicable)
    1.2 To support the maintenance and development of the school ICT resources
    1.3 To provide training and support sessions for staff and students
    1.4 To instruct pupils in the basic use of software programmes as necessary

2 DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
    2.1 To support the provision of ICT delivery in all areas of the school and provide help and support for the current ICT staff within the school
    2.2 To train other staff in the appropriate use of ICT fixtures within the school, such as overhead projectors and computers in order to promote the pupil educational experience
    2.3 Assistance with the maintenance and development of a school wide network
    2.4 To configure ICT equipment, hardware, peripherals and software and ensure efficient performance is maintained
    2.5 To help support and maintain antivirus, firewall and content monitoring software
    2.6 To be responsible for the provision of ICT support in all areas of the school and provide help and support for the ICT Technicians within the school

2.7 Faults
    2.7.1 To support the current ICT staff for an effective curriculum delivery in monitoring the network for any faults that may occur
    2.7.2 To help diagnose and resolve most network infrastructure software and hardware faults
    2.7.3 To help perform a range of maintenance, repairs and upgrades so avoid subsequent similar faults in the future.
    2.7.4 To help monitor that daily backup systems and disaster contingencies are in place in the event of such faults to minimise disruption
    2.8 Provide support to classroom teachers during lessons including working with students and the delivery of some technical parts of lessons
    2.9 Provide ICT support and training to support staff where necessary to enhance and improve the delivery of education within the school
    2.10 Provide support for students in out of hours classes/extracurricular time (within the employee's working day)

2.11 Administration
    2.11.1 to support the recording and monitoring of accurate records and ICT equipment inventories throughout the school
    2.11.2 to record and monitor ICT requests for repair and advice in appropriate equipment use
    2.11.3 To ensure that all ICT equipment is security marked or has appropriate categorical numbering
    2.11.4 To ensure that all software is used in accordance with its authorised licence

2.12 Individuals have a responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people he/she is responsible for or comes into contact with.
    2.13 To ensure all tasks are carried out with due regard to Health and Safety
    2.14 To undertake appropriate professional development including adhering to the principle of performance management.
    2.15 To adhere to the ethos of the school
    2.16.1 To promote the agreed vision and aims of the school
    2.16.2 To set an example of personal integrity and professionalism
    2.16.3 Attendance at appropriate staff meetings and parents evenings
    2.17 Any other duties as commensurate within the grade in order to ensure the smooth running of the school

3 SUPERVISION RECEIVED:
    3.1 Supervising Officer’s Job Title: ICT Operations Manager/ICT Network Manager
    3.2 LEVEL OF SUPERVISION :
    1. Regularly supervised with work checked by
    supervisor
    2. Left to work within established guidelines subject to
    scrutiny by supervisor
    3. Plan own work to ensure the meeting of defined
    objectives

Thank Post
    lol@Roberto! @nephilim: Done! @DocHouse: They didn't mention anywhere that it was pro rota and mentioned during the interview that it was a full time role. Hours and salary are yet to be discussed but the job said Grade 3? Does that mean something? Thank you for the link, will check it out now.

I'd rather not mention the school at the moment, but I can tell you that its near the moor street rail station, a 5 minute bus journey, so if that information is of any use in determining the wage, then so be it! I'm after an approximate figure, not a range of values; I have never worked in a school before but I have been in the ICT Tech support part for about 7 years now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHouse View Post
    But a job is a job you can find more information on pay scales at ebriefing.bgfl.org
    I couldn't find anything about payscales there. Maybe i'm not looking in the right place?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For that role I would say somewhere between £14k-18k...14 being minimum, and 18 being the absolute top

Thank Post
    I got just over 18k when I was working as an ICT technician in Bath, but that went down to 15.5k due to cut-backs. I have since left the education sector and added an extra 10k to my salary... but I guess we don't play this game (in the education sector) for the money. That said I'd go back to schools ICT in the drop of a hat tomorrow if the right job in the right place came up.

12. Thanks to AlfaTech from:

lordra (25th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lordra View Post
    lol@Roberto! @nephilim: Done! @DocHouse: They didn't mention anywhere that it was pro rota and mentioned during the interview that it was a full time role. Hours and salary are yet to be discussed but the job said Grade 3? Does that mean something? Thank you for the link, will check it out now.

I'd rather not mention the school at the moment, but I can tell you that its near the moor street rail station, a 5 minute bus journey, so if that information is of any use in determining the wage, then so be it! I'm after an approximate figure, not a range of values; I have never worked in a school before but I have been in the ICT Tech support part for about 7 years now.
    If it's grade 3, and Moor Street station is in B'ham, then you're looking at £18,453 - £23,708.

14. Thanks to Chuckster from:

lordra (25th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    If it's grade 3, and Moor Street station is in B'ham, then you're looking at £18,453 - £23,708.
    Excellent, thank you for that information. Is there a database that you referred to for this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    For that role I would say somewhere between £14k-18k...14 being minimum, and 18 being the absolute top
    Why did you and Chuckster get different values?

Thank Post
    Chuckster is right as thats the salary range for grade 3.
    You will start on £18,453 and with successful performance management over the next 3 (?) years you could move up to £23,708 i believe

Thank Post
    I found this pay scale some time ago after trawling the internet.

Birmingham Pay Spine.pdf

Not sure if it's still relevant.

19. Thanks to Chuckster from:

lordra (26th June 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information