+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Average Salary for A School ICT Support Officer? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...

Thank Post
    Ok, assuming that I am offered the base rate, how to do then talk it up to about £20k? How do I negotiate my salary? Any special tips? I've done a search online but i'd rather have some personal input from you guys!
    Thank you in advance.

Thank Post
    I always used to find that threatening to leave, simply by applying for other jobs did the trick quite nicely!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lordra View Post
    Why did you and Chuckster get different values?
    The area we are in. Where I am that would be the salary range offered for what is listed.

Thank Post
    Ha ha, I haven't even started there yet! How can I leave?

Thank Post
    Just evidence your experience and stuff outside of education if your any good they might give you a bump up to the next band, don't expect to be on 20k from day 1.

I know most of the schools round there and have worked in most of the ones in Nechells (B7) so good luck feel free to PM if you need any advice

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    I always used to find that threatening to leave, simply by applying for other jobs did the trick quite nicely!
    Applying for other jobs might well show them that you are looking around but please NEVER march up to your boss and tell him that you are leaving if you don't get more money..
    Maybe that works in education BUT out there in the private business world all it does is mark your card for ever. You may get a brief period of more money but you will be passed over in the future for promotions, etc.

Thank Post
    If your applying for a job that pays 18k-20k or whatever, then expect to start on 18k, that is after all what the job stated it would be.

You will likely get annual increments if your good at your job and as you pick up more experience, if I was hiring and one person said they want 20k from the off but someone else was happy with 18k then i would likely take the 18k, because the guy who wants 20k will no doubt be wanting to leave for more money from day 1.

Also depending on how experienced you are, 18k for a first job is a decent wage, different places pay different but grade 3 around here is 15-18k, there are a few different payscales used across the country, I think we use NJC in Manchester.

Thank Post
    Hey guys... Ok, a bit of background... You see, I was expecting to start at the lower salary but I'm subject to immigration laws and this means that the job has to be at £20,300 pa or above. That's it. No excuses. And I never knew about this until I started reading up AFTER the interview.
    This is a problem for me as I have a strong feeling they are only going to be offering £18.5. If I can't get them to up it to £20.3, I'll have to leave the UK! Girlfriend, pets, house.. Gone. Its kind of like a do or die. I don't have the time to find another job. Advice?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lordra View Post
    Hey guys... Ok, a bit of background... You see, I was expecting to start at the lower salary but I'm subject to immigration laws and this means that the job has to be at £20,300 pa or above. That's it. No excuses. And I never knew about this until I started reading up AFTER the interview.
    This is a problem for me as I have a strong feeling they are only going to be offering £18.5. If I can't get them to up it to £20.3, I'll have to leave the UK! Girlfriend, pets, house.. Gone. Its kind of like a do or die. I don't have the time to find another job. Advice?
    Speak to the school asap. Although like others have said you will start on £18k

Thank Post
    They can't deport you if you try Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights. The article states that, in summary, you have a right to a family life, therefore there can be no interference by the authorities of kicking you out.

Thank Post
    A right to a family life is not an absolute right (I don't think), and to prove it you have to go to high up courts. You cannot use human rights for everything, contrary to popular belief.

That said if you have a job, girlfriends (long term) and a house (preferably long term) then you will have a better chance of being given leave to stay in the UK. The application process is designed to stop people living in the UK on a permanent basis without working etc, the level is set at £20k as this is the level the government are saying is "skilled" labour, then there is another upper level, I think 32k+ and you get a very high chance of staying. No one here can say whether or not you should be allowed to stay within the UK, you can only make your case on merit.

When you applied for the job at the school they surely asked if you had the right to work in the UK? Surely that is a grey area for you.

Edit:
    Article 8: Right to privacy
    Everyone has the right for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.
    There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

You have to comply with immigration law in this case.
    Last edited by Achandler; 27th June 2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Law Additions

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    A right to a family life not an absolute right (I don't think), and to prove it you have to go to high up courts. You cannot use human rights for everything, contrary to popular belief.

surely asked if you had the right to work in the UK? Surely that is a grey area for you.
    Correct. I can't use that. Have not lived here long enough. They ask for 10years or something like that. Anyways, I'm not going down that route. Yes i do have the right to work here but my visa is coming to an end and I'll have to switch from my current one that has no conditions or restrictions to the Tier 2 one which has the salary requirements. And this has to be done by the end of August. That is, my application needs to be submitted by then.

Any ideas on how to plead my case with the school?

Thank Post
    Simple really, tell them the case, if you are on a pay scale that reaches over 20.3k+ and it is a local authority school then that may well be good enough for the immigration service.

Universities can "sponsor" people to stay who aren't being paid over the upper tier limit, so I imagine a local authority could but don't quote me on that.

All I can say is tell them and good luck.

Thank Post
    I found the original posting. It did match what Chuckster said. I did tell them about the salary requirements. They said, "However, the salary is non negotiable. We are bound by rules of employment and so the starting salary is the one quoted and over a period of years depending on successful Performance Management cycles, you could progress through the range over a number of years" . On the job description, its said "SUPPORT OFFICER FOR ICT GR 3 £18,453 - £23,708" . So do I understand that I ALWAYS start from the bottom and work upwards or ...? Any advice what I can do now? I really want this job. And the stupid home office are really annoying me. For just a difference of £1,800. It's so silly.

Thank Post
    I don't think there's another way of going about it. Any person starting a new job always starts at the bottom of the salary. If you was changing jobs within the authority then you will start off from where your salary was in your previous job.

Could you not contact home office and ask them for leniancy?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information