+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Anything going in Sheffield? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi guys, I'm feeling like a change in direction (I've been looking after primary schools and businesses for the last ...

Thank Post

Anything going in Sheffield?

Hi guys,
    I'm feeling like a change in direction (I've been looking after primary schools and businesses for the last 6 years on a contract basis) and want to move in to 'in house' IT so I can master my own network. Does anyone know where of anything going in Sheffield/South Yorkshire? What's the best way to get my foot in the door?

Regards,
    Ben.

Thank Post
    any of the schools you currently look after big enough to warrant in house tech? that's how I got into my current place. I used to work for a company who supported a number of primary schools. One of those then decided there was enough work for a full time member of staff, I applied and here I am. It is a big primary though - nearly 800 kids and 100 odd staff.

Thank Post
    Afraid not, they're all pretty small and I'm so efficient there's nothing left to do after their 3 hour visit

Thank Post
    Most of my other schools were like this. The one I'm at now is a big one and had suffered many years of the previous techies not really doing what they were supposed to. I got to take over, work here full time and turn it round. So far in the last 18 months I've been here I've put in all new servers, new machines in every classroom, new suite of computers, new projectors and whiteboards in every room. This summer we're having our Network Infastructure upgraded. New switches in all cabs, fibre links to all. New Ruckus Wireless. ALso upgrading to WIndows 7 and Office 2010. Also other smaller bits, dual booting all classroom laptops with windows 7 and Linux. SSD's in all teacher computers. Installing SCCM2012. Also anything else that comes up in the mean time.

Thank Post
    That's some budget they've given you!

Thank Post
    I know we've got a crazy budget for this year so we're trying ot make hte most of it. you never know what budgets will be next year

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread