+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT Staff Structure in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Tony: If you were to go to the 3-man-team: Why would you have to not bother with the website, have ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: ICT Staff Structure

Tony: If you were to go to the 3-man-team: Why would you have to not bother with the website, have no helpdesk and have no remote access? I don't see how those would be affected by the number of technical staff.

From our experience, those are things that are either set in place and are maintained and updated as and when required; or are par of the course as a technical team's duties anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

The website is fairly dynamic (as in updated a lot) and we are trying to make the most of what is a poor site (soon to be moved to a combination of Joomla and Sharepoint). The website Manager also does a chunk of the paperwork for the team (and boy ... do some of the things in school generate paperwork ... we are back to those lovely laptops again).

The remote access setup was possible because of time dedicated to working out and planning what to do and how to make the most of it. We could only do this (the royal 'we') because we had the staff ... the same with the helpdesk ...

I think I explained it a bit badly ... If we only had 3 people we would not have had the helpdesk and remote access ... does that make more sense?

The laptops take up 1+3/4 technicians' time ... sometimes more, sometimes less (and yes ... we have done a Time & Motion on it to see if it was too expensive to continue) so that would be another way of dealing with things. We could drop our response times to issues ... that would be another way of dealing with it but we have a damn good response time to incedents ... we are only down on our long term targets mainly due to issues with suppliers or software.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ah okay that makes more sense now. I do understand that having more people allows for time to develop these sort of things whilst others maintain laptops, desktops etc... I suppose we're used to CC3 where we don't need as many staff; with remote access included by default I had time to developimpleent helpdesk, room booking etc, for example.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yep .. and now we have these things in place we are looking at other things ... the big one next is the impact on Sharepoint in the school.

I will be filming and editting videos of science experiments later this week ... we have just rolled out a CPD logging database for our Training School side of things (by the placement student who has just gone actually ... Hi Ray), working on Vista deployment ready for putting it onto student laptops later in the year, preparing more documentation and user guides for staff and students for the various hardware / software we have round the school ...

Yep ... there are times when I think a pre-built solution would be good ... but we are in a position now not to need it that much and we enjoy the flexibility.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas
    Grommit, is your salary equivalent to a teaching post ie. Head of Dept?
    roflmao........ I wish

Thank Post

Just a quick question. How many people are working in your departments i.e. NM, tech's etc. & how many machines are being looked after? I only ask, because I am the only one here looking after the whole schools network with about an 1100 user base, 130 thin clients (could be more by now), 8 servers, probably 60 or more PC's, most teaching staff with laptops + some support staff. More stuff coming in, more networking being added next year with about 60 more thin clients & 30 or more PC's.
    I keep pushing for help, but nothing happens. Salary is real bad as well for a Network Manager.

Thank Post

Oh, forgot to mention. I am now losing the will to live, if you know what I mean. lol

Thank Post

Thanks for the reply GrumbleDook - its food for thought! Dont envy you for the laptops though

Butuz

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    One person, working 20 hours a week, on the lodgeparkctc website? 8O
    Err, that sounds reasonable ?

Sure it's a nice website but it's hardly msn.com is it..and it certainly doesn't look like a full time job to manage and update.

Plus they get her to do the asset register aswell!!!
    Nice work if you can get

Thank Post

Looks fairly standard to me. Neat and organised, but no better than ours, which I maintain in my own time for no extra payment, just because I have pride in it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I was just going on the 20hrs/week = 4hrs/day - and how can there possibly be that much to do?

Thank Post

That's what I was getting at! Seems strange that it takes someone 20 hours per week to do something that I do in between other jobs!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

That is her title ... she does other stuff, including user administration, photography, creation of materials for staff that aren't actually put onto the site but used directly, covers for break times and people off ill, on training, on long projects.

She does 5 hours a day, 4 days a week ...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12