+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Why I am leaving my current job? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi Newbie here. Your site is a blessing !! <bowing> You see I have an interview tomorrow for 2 jobs ...

Thank Post

Why I am leaving my current job?

Hi Newbie here.

Your site is a blessing !! <bowing>

You see I have an interview tomorrow for 2 jobs with my local council for their Schools IT Support Services as Leading IT Technician Grade Sc 4/5/6 and School's IT Technician Grade Sc 2/4 both 37 hrs per week 1 year renewable contracts.

It's been 5 years since my last interview and I am growing confident that I will be well prepared for tomorrows selection interview with the Technical Team Leader and the Head of Schools IT Services. There are no tests involved so won't be taking my tool kit!, just a face to faces interview.

HOWEVER.. I am afraid I will get defensive when answering the question of why I am leaving my current job. To keep a long story long, in April 2004 a huuge american corporation acquired us resulting in all IT Support outsourced overseas .. basically my job was gone. I have remained as an employee but on the "at risk of redundancy" while I have been going cap in hand to key people putting my case forward to take me off the at risk position based on my 5 years skills/experience and feedback from the 500+ users. Over the last 18 months I had demonstrated the benefits to keep me as the local IT support person within the new IT structure aiming to win "suitable alternative employment", but the overseas remote support model remains the winner. Then came the promises of transferring under TUPE to another large american corporation that were bringing in their own contractors (3) to provide the local IT Support which I was rather excited about since I would transfer under the same terms and conditions. But no contracts have been signed and HR have changed my last day of service 6 times (always a couple of days before I am due to leave on grounds of redundancy I might add!) since they dont know who the contract will be with now, the contracts are still under negotiations, they are investigating a new contractor, not sure what my role will be ... it goes on and on ...

Now, let me tell you, I am like a dog with a bone .. won't give up but inevitably I have been showing signs of (dare I say it?) STRESS! .. so much so that I have lost weight, unable to sleep and depression. My GP has signed me off sick with stress and I have remained at home decorating for the last 7 weeks. I have the Union on my side pushing for my redundancy package since this has gone on long enough and am likely to get it at the end of Dec (then again I was promised this 4 times before)

Can you see why I am nervous about the question of why did you leave your last job?

I read that I should keep it simple by saying that due to the restructuring my job was made redundant but what if they probe me further?

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Why I am leaving my current job?

ok first thing it happens dont worry about coming across wrong too much internal restructing, buy outs happen and happen often.

just say that when new onwers took over the jobs were outsurced but you were kept on to do various things etc etc and it was looking like you were going to taken of 'risk list' etc.

But due at moment not happening for one reason and anothier.

then if probe further i.e why you been of ill etc then say well i was due to transfered to new company etc but like lot of coroporate stuff kept falling through and due to various factors you became ill.

but only mention last bit if have to..

russ

Thank Post

the sickness is going to be a problem - edited that was getting to personnel - Russ.

but this happened to a colleague of mine, a computer engineer in a secondary school - off for several weeks due to whatever, they eventually dumped him a week after he returned...

Thank Post

I've always told the truth in regards to moving jobs. But theres no need to go deep into details. I think your last quote about keeping it simple is spot on. Tell them that, and also that you are looking for new challenges / projects to keep you on your toes as such.

I believe it would also be foolish for School IT Support Services to reject such a dedicated and skilled person due to another company messing you around.

Good Luck.

Thank Post

I wouldn't worry too much about illness. I was off work for 10 weeks with a bad back in my previous life as a manager in a major supermarket chain.
    I applied for the job here, fully disclosed my time off and it wasn't even mentioned in my interview.

Good luck!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i am sorry but you are wrong free44440273....

i know of many place where people been off for various reasons and they have returned ok not to say dosnt happen but not all the time.

russ

Thank Post

russdev, does not mean i am wrong. i am just speaking from my experience - employ someone who has been off work for 10 weeks, or someone who has an unblemished absence record (all other merits being equal)...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ok accept that

Russ

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by free4440273
    the sickness is going to be a problem - it shows weakness of character, unreliability, physical inertia. sorry if that sounds harsh, but this happened to a colleague of mine, a computer engineer in a secondary school - off for several weeks due to whatever, they eventually dumped him a week after he returned...
    I don't see how it shows weakness of character. It shows someone who has so much worry and stress from a large company that sounds like it does not know how to organise a p**s up in a brewery.

Put yourself in that position. You have a house, a car, a wife and two children to support, probably some credit card debts to pay off and some huge corporation can't decide to keep you or not, and this has happened four or five times already.

I'd personally be sick to the stomach with worry and fear. That would lead to lack of sleep and eventually I'd be too stressed to work, and certainly become ill.

Don't take this as a flame against you 4440273 as it's not, it's just my POV, as your post is yours.

Thank Post

sorry if the original post was too personal...

Thank Post

ninja - see the above please [and feel free to flame - i could not care less].

Thank Post

Cheers for the replies ..

I think I will go with the brief response that due to the restructuring there has been alot of uncertainty, I have continued to be employed for the duraration of 18th months while "at risk" and have employment through to the end of Feb 2006, but I want to move forward, take control now into the wonderful academic community ..

It is wonderful right ?

Thank Post

wonderful as in...'wouldn't it be wonderful to leave this wretched job...'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

well i do like it education benafits outway disadvantages...

russ

Thank Post

I'd secure another job then push for a redundancy settlement on the basis of constructive dissmisal.

They can't keep dicking you around for 18 months.

Your answer to the why did you leave question could be along the following lines:

'The work was outsourced to staff in the US, this diminished a sizable proportion of my role and I need more of a challenge'

Don't mention sickness or stress. If asked if you've had time off say you were ill for a good few weeks with <something else> but this is unusual for you and you're fine now. Don't mention unions either.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast