+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Why I am leaving my current job? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by russdev well i do like it education benafits outway disadvantages... russ I'd disagree but each to their ...

Thank Post

Re: Why I am leaving my current job?

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    well i do like it education benafits outway disadvantages...

russ
    I'd disagree but each to their own of course!

Thank Post

let us know if you get the job...fingers crossed [collectively].

Thank Post

Hi

Here is what I would say.

The truth.

I have interviewed people before and they will see right through a cover up.

Basically time off for stress is not a bad thing. Explain what situatution you were in and why you have been off. If your new employers are a caring bunch they will appreciate your honesty and dedication.

You don't have to make a big thing off it, just be brief and to the point. If they want to know more they will ask.

The time off will not be the main focus off the interview. You could perhaps mention the lack of any time of before, i.e a good sickness record.

Good luck

Alex

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    well i do like it education benafits outway disadvantages...

russ
    I'd disagree but each to their own of course!
    all subjective really if in a good job with people you get on with it is good to work in education....

but then if not makes people want to leave...

Russ

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by free4440273
    sorry if the original post was too personal...
    I can't stand flaming. I just want to put my point across, but not offend anyone. Thats why I put a apology of sorts at the end so as not to upset / offend anyone.

I PM you some flames later.

Thank Post

My interview on Tuesday went well. Advised that 30 minutes would be allocated but I was there for 90 minutes or there abouts (not including a 45 minute wait when I arrived). My tummy was rumbling rather loudly by the end!

The interview was designed around 10 practical questions which gave me a clear insight as a Leading IT Technician. I felt more and more confident as ticks and notes were noted on their response sheets while I nattered on.

A few examples of their questions were: What if a pupil reported they was no sound when attempting to play a music CD? My initial response was "are they allowed to listen to CD's at school?" which went down rather well, then I went onto the technical solutions. Other questions were how would I project manage a large software upgrade? I spoke of my project management role during a site-wide XPAD, MS Office and Outlook 2003 upgrades (not all at the same time!). Another was if I was on site with a user and took 2 calls from a Head Teacher unable to access email and a group of pupils unable to access the intranet, how would I manage all 3 problems and with what priority? First thing I said was I'd call base for backup (theme tune to Mission Impossible starts playing in my mind.. ) I'd get as much information regarding the other 2 cases and pass these details on. Also asked if there is a hierachy of support similar to where I work i.e: Executives (pah!) have priority, then depending on the whether the issues effect manufacturing and production which are considered highest priority calls. I was asked to explain what the following were and where they can be found such as PCI, SCSI, USB, BIOS etc .. other questions were how I would manage and monitor network usage and security, account management, SQL database structures .. I felt very relaxed and made them laugh a few times (as is my way). Almost choked on my water at one point, answering a question before I swallowed, which also raised a chuckle .. In all I came away feeling confident and sure I had answered their questions well. I did forget to hand over my Certificates and embarassed to say I forgot to say I would be away for a week in April since I was getting married ..

They said they were interviewing again on the Thursday and I should expect to hear by the Friday but as yet I have received no response. It's a waiting game and I plan to call HR on Tuesday if I do not hear anything by then.

Here endeth my story .. Thanks again for your responses.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    I'd secure another job then push for a redundancy settlement on the basis of constructive dissmisal.

They can't keep dicking you around for 18 months.
    Forgot to say the issue of redundancy and sick leave did not come into the interview process .. If I am to be offered the position (PLEEEEASE!) I will be pushing for my redundancy settlement..

Well it's foggy and frosty in Cardiff this Sunday morning .. Cooked breakfast me thinks !

See you soon.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

glad it went well fingers crossed

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't worry about the fact they haven't contacted you straight away with schools anything could have delayed them. Good luck I hope you get the job!

Wes

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw
    I wouldn't worry about the fact they haven't contacted you straight away with schools anything could have delayed them. Good luck I hope you get the job!
    I remember when I applied for my current job, took them over two/three months to actually reply to the application... by which point I had given up hope.

A letter then mysteriously appears in the post offering me an interview... for the next day. Fortunately I was contracting, so, that was easy enough to attend. Heard back, bizarrely, within the same day. Originally I was told the interview would last about an hour, three and a half hours later I'm having coffee and a chat with the headteacher about my life story, who took a bizarre interest into me. Anyway, I leave the site with a concerning, "We may offer you the job, but, we have some things to sort out, I'll have an answer for you later this evening." 3pm comes... and I'm offered it.

So n'yes, schools can take a long time in doing things sometimes, certainly isn't a bad thing, they're normally quite quick to turn people down but are much slower at accepting them.

Thank Post

Getting this job was alot quicker than I've seen posted so far. It was in the paper on Tuesday, I applied and asked them politely not to ask for a reference until after the interview (company I worked for was a bit funny about interviews). Anyway, the references came in on the Friday and my Interview was on the Monday. The boss was really good about the interview, and gave me my full support.

Monday came and I was the first to be interviewed after the tour of the school. Luckily I got the job offer at 15:00 that day and snapped it up. I've not looked back since.

I think the main bit about the interview was that it was my old school. lol. There were a few annoyed interviewees when they found that out.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver
    I think the main bit about the interview was that it was my old school. lol. There were a few annoyed interviewees when they found that out.
    Ive been in that situation before. It also looked like the successful candidate was related to the secretary as well :?

There were 80 odd applicants for my job and they interviewed 3 including me. They let me know the next day which was glorious as the day after I could hand in my notice to my old job .
    I nearly didnt apply for this job as I didnt fancy working in a school full time even though I worked in different schools every day with my old job and the wages were usually quiete poor but they were offering more than usual (back then at least) so I went for it. Havent regretted it much... It's good to use more of the skills I hardly used in my old job.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

was interviewed at current place and was offered it later that day in fact they had phoned even before i got home..

russ

Thank Post

@russdev: same here... was eading back to work and stopped off to buy a butty from Somerfield when I got the call - just waited for the offer in writing before handing in my notice.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12