+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Head of Technical Support/Network Manager - Guildford, Surrey (part time) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; As title, an opening for the Head of Technical Support/Network Manager at Christ's College, Guildford. Permanent Contract. 15 hours a ...

Thank Post

Head of Technical Support/Network Manager - Guildford, Surrey (part time)

As title, an opening for the Head of Technical Support/Network Manager at Christ's College, Guildford.

Permanent Contract. 15 hours a week. 52 weeks a year with 24 days (pro – rata) annual leave. Pay: Pro–rata to SP10 in the range £36,965 - £41,942 depending on experience. Actual salary based on minimum point: £15,402.

Full job description here - http://www.christscollege.surrey.sch.../74/112973.pdf.

Application form here - Vacancies.

Please feel free to drop me a line with any questions!

Thank Post
    Just curious - is this a job share?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    Just curious - is this a job share?
    Nope. The position was full time on a lower scale, but it was decided with the old network manager (me!) moving on that the nature of the role would be changed. In addition to the network manager role, there are two full time network technicians in place.
    Last edited by mistersparky; 25th April 2013 at 03:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Ah! Ok - good luck with the recruit!

Thank Post
    Does the school/old network manager not understand the demands typically placed on system administration to achieve this in 15 hours a week? Either that or the school has no real direction in ICT.

Thank Post
    Sounds like they will offload it to the technicians. Part time NM is a bit silly. I smell downtime.

Thank Post
    To be honest if it's a well-oiled ship and I'm assuming a relatively small site, and the two techs are very competent, then it could easily be done in 15 hours a week.

Things would have to be setup incredibly well though... and yes, there will the odd occasion where service may be disrupted... but that's part of the deal!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary91 View Post
    Does the school/old network manager not understand the demands typically placed on system administration to achieve this in 15 hours a week?
    The old network manager understands well enough as they (me!) have worked in IT in education for a decade, including 2 years in this role. Ultimately, the call to make it part time was not mine. As to whether it the right call or not, I would quote pantscat:

To be honest if it's a well-oiled ship and I'm assuming a relatively small site, and the two techs are very competent, then it could easily be done in 15 hours a week.

Things would have to be setup incredibly well though... and yes, there will the odd occasion where service may be disrupted... but that's part of the deal!
    650 students, 150 or so staff, just under 600 end devices. So, not big but not small either. I think it's a relatively well-oiled ship, although there will certainly be challenges moving forwards. The ICT techs are also pretty good, and have been getting increasingly involved in higher level tasks over the last 18 months. I think ultimately the job will be whatever the new NM makes of it, and the role is a great opportunity for someone who is looking for something that matches the time requirements.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post

I have to agree with you here.............

If things are setup correctly and you have decent people on-site then a part time NM should be fine............,if systems are setup to a high standard are NM's really needed.......a number of places i know (large schools. not naming any.....) don't require NM's..

Thank Post
    "are NM's needed" thats an interesting debate!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread