+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Getting a Job in IT. in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi, im 15 and i'm currently doing my GCSE's. I'm in Year 10 and soon moving into Year 11. I ...

Thank Post

Question Getting a Job in IT.

Hi, im 15 and i'm currently doing my GCSE's. I'm in Year 10 and soon moving into Year 11. I was wondering what type of collage courses I would need to do to work in IT or to become a techie.
    I do quite a lot of IT at home and i do it as a GCSE. I am mostly self-tough with the enterprise IT i do at home

Kieran

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Hi Kieran

Welcome to edugeek

You have two options to consider when you leave school. The first is going to college either in Year 12 or to a university or college after completing A Levels.

The second is to consider an apprenticeship. With this you are doing a job where you will be given time off to do a college course paid for by your employer. There is a huge range of courses available depending on your interests and an apprenticeship can be a good way to get qualifications and work experience simultaneously... and you get paid! Entry for apprenticeships is often after A Level, but some are available after GCSE. Your school careers adviser should be able to tell you more.

It would also be worth looking at the websites for local businesses to see which ones offer apprenticeships and what qualifications you would need to get one. You will almost certainly need GCSE Maths and English at at least Grade C as a minimum.

3. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

kieransaul (27th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I ask for a proficiency with maths. Only for subnetting and IPs. Also, look at the microsoft virtual academy for a range of subjects IT related.

5. Thanks to featured_spectre from:

Thank Post
    Many of us start off self-taught - myself for one - so that's fine.

You might also consider something like the BTEC National for IT Practitioners (or whatever it's being called these days) instead of A-Levels. If you chose to continue academically after that, Foundation Degrees in Computer Science or Enterprise Computing are available instead of a full-blown Bachelors which take one year less and are often perfectly sufficient. I started working at my current school five years ago through the "work experience" (though I was a "mature student"... hahaha!) sandwich placement on an FdSc course.

7. 3 Thanks to Ephelyon:

kieransaul (27th March 2013), visioN (2nd April 2013)

Thank Post

9. Thanks to Ephelyon from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Hi Kieran

Welcome to edugeek

You have two options to consider when you leave school. The first is going to college either in Year 12 or to a university or college after completing A Levels.

The second is to consider an apprenticeship. With this you are doing a job where you will be given time off to do a college course paid for by your employer. There is a huge range of courses available depending on your interests and an apprenticeship can be a good way to get qualifications and work experience simultaneously... and you get paid! Entry for apprenticeships is often after A Level, but some are available after GCSE. Your school careers adviser should be able to tell you more.

It would also be worth looking at the websites for local businesses to see which ones offer apprenticeships and what qualifications you would need to get one. You will almost certainly need GCSE Maths and English at at least Grade C as a minimum.
    Option 3 is join an IT department and learn as you go. Get work to pay for qualifications etc. This is what i did, dont regret it at all.

11. 2 Thanks to FN-GM:

Thank Post
    Thank you for the reply's

Thank Post
    This might be local to you if the location given on your profile is accurate:

Foundation Degree in Computing Solutions (Networks) Colchester at Colchester Institute: all Colchester Undergrad courses 54311512

If you get a part-time job in an IT department and do that course part-time at Colchester, it's four years with fees much lower than you might find elsewhere as it's an FD course. Covers Cisco CCNA material too.

14. 2 Thanks to Ephelyon:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    This might be local to you if the location given on your profile is accurate:

Foundation Degree in Computing Solutions (Networks) Colchester at Colchester Institute: all Colchester Undergrad courses 54311512

If you get a part-time job in an IT department and do that course part-time at Colchester, it's four years with fees much lower than you might find elsewhere as it's an FD course. Covers Cisco CCNA material too.
    I live very near to Colchester. The course looks very good.
    Last edited by kieransaul; 27th March 2013 at 09:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Thank you for the reply's.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Option 3 is join an IT department and learn as you go. Get work to pay for qualifications etc. This is what i did, dont regret it at all.
    Snap, absolutely, I was fortunate to get a job as a Junior IT Tech and stationary co-ordinator (1/2 and 1/2) yup, thats right folks, I was a stationary monitor! This was all when I left school, first of all I sucked at the stationary part, but was excellent at the IT part, and I went to see the bursar and said look, Im rubbish at this stationary lark but I really enjoy the IT side of things, next day...Called into the office and he said right, we're going to appoint someone to do the stationary and you can go into IT full time!

I have since moved on but absoluetly great school, and they paid for all of my training, im now an IT Manager took me 5 years to get from Junior Tech to IT Manager, bit of luck and bit of learning! Good luck!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,824 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley View Post
    thats right folks, I was a stationary monitor!
    So...you didn't move much?

19. Thanks to witch from:

jmak (2nd April 2013)

Thank Post
    I like this Kieran fellow... he seems to have some magical power to make 1 Thanks count for 2! =]

Thank Post
    Hi Guys,

- Just to say i'm 18, and finishing my BTEC course this year -

I'm coming to the end of my 2 year BTEC National - System Support & Networking Level 3 /w Cisco
    Kieran, I would suggest, Which do you prefer more, Hands on work, or coursework. Although i now kinda of wish i had taken the apprenticeship as i prefer working hands on,
    As to doing lots of units, However at my College, I have been offered the option to do some Cisco Discoveries, Which i have really taken to, and am about to finish Discovery 3 after Easter.
    Along with all that, Ive been looking into the MVA [Microsoft Virtual Academy] Mainly at the Server Virtualization, As i enjoy messing with Virtual Applications, and Game servers, and such

However, After College - June 2013 - My Plan i to find a network technician job working in a school, As at the moment i'm working with a friend at a Primary School, Which i'm very much enjoying, Funnily enough he recommended this site to me, For Educations Jobs and such =)

- Also a general question, My Dad has suggested that i should go to the local Job Center to see what they can offer to me, But as i know which field of ICT i wish to enter, Would you suggest that its a good idea, to take a look. Or just have a look on the internet for local network technician jobs

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    It has occurred to me that, with the school leaving age being raised, Kieran has to stay in education, although that could be employment based such as an apprenticeship, until he is 18. He really does need to talk to his school as things are changing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast