+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Interview for a Network Manager in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi Guys, Need some advice here. I am attending a two stage Interview for a Network Manager post at a ...

Thank Post

Cool Interview for a Network Manager

Hi Guys,

Need some advice here. I am attending a two stage Interview for a Network Manager post at a secondary school. They have invited me in for a "Skills Test" both practical and theory and after sucessful completion, I would then be invited for the Interview.

My question is: Can someone give me some ideas or advice of what possibly might be presented to me for both parts of the Skills Test? Just some ideas would be good

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can I ask waht your past experience is? It may help to give members a better idea of just what to advise.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could be anything, depending on the place and the interviewers. You might get off light with the OSI 7 layer model and common TCP ports, you might get stung for needlessly nitty gritty details because the interviewer thinks that book-learning is the most important thing.

Do you know what systems the school uses? AD or otherwise? Hyper-V/VMWare? Citrix? SharePoint? They're likely to ask based on existing systems.

Bear in mind that they may ask over-complicated questions on purpose, because what they are really analysing is your approach, not your knowledge. Show your working, as it were.

Thank Post
    On a written test, I've been asked all sorts from what does DHCP stand for? to "describe how you would implement a school-wide AV solution, what system you would use, including suppliers, initial and ongoing costs and why you have chosen that solution". It's almost inevitable that you will get the "how would you prioritise the following scenarios and why". I was asked to find a deliberate mistake in a 50 line chunk of VB script.

On the practical side you may well get the usual ... what's wrong with this machine? (Personally, I find these tests insulting, I've been working in a school environment for over 15 years yet they still want me to indentify the fact that someone has removed the memory). I was asked to prepare a machine for PXE booting as a thin client, including removing the HDD ... it turned out that this wasn't done so much as a test as the fact that the outgoing NM had several to do and decided that the interview candidates could help him!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have been given stupid tasks like the RAM has is slightly out of a machine, causing it to fail to boot, I just smile at them in a "Im not that stupid" way...I have had very hard tests to very easy tests, I had one on the 7 layers of the ISO model...All-People-Seem-To-Need-Data-Protection... I think they just want to get rid of blaggers and cut the weak from the few! Aslong as your confident I wouldnt worry! Management talk goes a long way ive found! Speel Speel Speel but with confidence that you know what your on about! lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley View Post
    All-People-Seem-To-Need-Data-Protection...
    I've always been a "Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizzas Away" kind of guy myself.

Having recently recruited we asked toughish questions based on what we were looking for in the JD. I personally hate multiple choice questions for that sort of thing and I prefer to see if someone can explain a technology or feature rather than expand a TLA - e.g. "Why would you use VDI or how would you implement VDI?" rather than "What does VDI stand for?"

Having said that, I've been to interviews where I've literally been given something that looks like a braindump to tick A,B,C or D.
    Last edited by jtotheb; 20th March 2013 at 10:54 AM.

BJG
    Thank Post
    Could be anything, but I should revise general networking stuff like VLANs, VPNs and subnets. I've been asked about FSMO roles on several occasions. Last time I got asked about Exchange Server roles which completely caught me out. (If you get past this bit and onto the interview, most important thing is to smile. Don't worry about trying to smile while answering questions about FSMO roles though, just concentrate on the roles.)
    Last edited by BJG; 20th March 2013 at 11:48 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BJG View Post
    I've been asked about FSMO roles on several occasions.
    I was recently asked about this at an interview, and how I would transfer these roles if a DC died...wow...my mind went blank! Honestly I sat there quite blank. I know the answer but this totally caught me out, I done it as part as my MS certs but that was 2 years ago!...

I said, Im sorry im not sure, but what I would do is do everything I could do not be in that position and I would find out if it did happen. I asked the NM at the time, Has this ever happened to him? he said yes, so I said how did you find out what to do? and he said well I rang a friend. I said yeah well in this case I would just google it. He said that should be part of your documentation. I disagree tbh, if you document everything that could do wrong you'll never find anything in your documentation, cuz' it will be huge!! (others may disagree but thas my opinion)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley View Post
    He said that should be part of your documentation. I disagree tbh, if you document everything that could do wrong you'll never find anything in your documentation, cuz' it will be huge!! (others may disagree but thas my opinion)
    I'm with you on this one. If I was asked that then my mind would be blank too. In essence I do know how to do this but I would never do it from memory anyway, I would follow the MS guide on doing it. I wouldn't keep this in my documentation but look for it online to make sure I was using the latest version.

BJG
    Thank Post
    Keep it in your documentation? Ridiculous.

99% of the stuff you get asked about on these occasions is useless nonsense you could find out in 30secs on Google.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love the artificial problems they throw at you and expect you to know off-hand. Any time you say "I'd Google it" they counter with "the internet is down". If the internet is down, then I'll be fixing that first! It's probably having more of an impact on T&L than any odd behaviour with a backup tape that you're telling me I can't Google...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ahhhh! But my phone internet isnt down! Is it? "Smart Arse!" (I would never say that at interview!)

13. Thanks to mmoseley from:

Tech1 (21st March 2013)

BJG
    Thank Post
    The temptation to say: "I'd Google it" is almost irresistible, but, I mustn't do it again...

No, you just have to grin and bear it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You cant know everything about IT, its impossible! Google is the answer! Its common sense! :P

Thank Post
    It's just quite annoying becuase all they will tell me is that it is a technical test both written and practical. Could be absolutely anything......very broad subject ICT is :-)
    Just wondered what others have been asked in previous interviews.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast