+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT Technical Assistant - Ringmer, East Sussex in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by ninjabeaver Originally Posted by Tx2online FYI, the 'senior' ICT Technicians are on better packages than the junior ...

Re: ICT Technical Assistant - Ringmer, East Sussex

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online
    FYI, the 'senior' ICT Technicians are on better packages than the junior roles so there is room for improvement/promotion if the opportunity arises. Not that it is likely too... much too nice a place to work for there to be regular staff turnover.
    We had over 25 application previously but didn't appoint anyone as despite the somewhat low salary, we do have certain expectations of who we desire to work with.
    Amazing. So you are asking for someone to be trained and experienced to start with, paid peanuts and also very little chance of promotion.
    Look, the job has been advertised as is. i do not set, nor necessarily agree with the salary on offer. I have explained why I posted the job here, elsewhere.

We didn't appoint before because, after meeting the applicants, none were deemed suitable. Our prerogative.

We had applicants, therefore the salary and job is of interest to some. as for promotion, that was a tongue in cheek comment. REGULAR reviews of salary etc are carried out, and, with the events that are occurring at the college over the next 18mths, there is some real scope to progress here.

Just because it doesn't appeal to you, or you don't agree with what is being paid, doesn't make it a bad thing.

Yes, we do require some knowledge, and yes, experience would be good. However, like i've said to others, if you aren't interested, and really only have criticism of what is, and will be to someone, an exciting opportunity, then maybe you'd like to simply look elsewhere, as someone will be (and is) interested?

It's a shame the industry seems to be rather full of people only interested in what they can get, rather than what they can give. me, i enjoy what i do, and get paid for it. I'm not driven by material things however, as some clearly are. Neither is a bad thing, of course. But, if something is not for you, why stick your nose in instead of letting those who do want to get involved, do so?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hate to say this people should read job they are not asking for technician they are asking for a ICT Technical Assistant.

I think as was pointed out this someone starting in ICT and has some knowledge they have gained themselves but not a lot that can train up.

Some of you have to remember there are people staring out who would love that wage.

Just because you don't want this job does not mean other people won't heck.

The not enough for mortgage well that would make sense being that average person applying for this role is not really looking for mortgage.

Russell

Thank Post

Just to chip in, Ringmer is a good place to work, have a great team and would be a fantastic place to start up straight from college or school. They do lots of great projects there & are lucky to have gone for Tech status so have lots of shiny kit to play with. Probably suffering from the same problems we had here in that people seem to apply who think it will be a doss in a school or that its an easy role so don't need any skills at all.

Though I do have to add yah boo sucks as we are down the road Have to keep up etiquiete (well i would if I could spell it)

Thank Post

Whilst comments on the dire state of IT pay in schools is a valid topic - it's not really fair to hijack someone's job advert is it? At the end of the day, it's not their fault.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

East Sussex grade a Senior Technician ICT at SO1-SO2 £ 23175 - £ 26928, Technician is generally NJC 5-6 and jnr tech is approx NJC 4-5 (14k)

You really need to speak to your LA about this or you may find whoever you employ will make an equal pay claim against a TA or another technican - and on that salary they win.

Employing any technical starter on less than a TA (13-14k) is outrageous.

Thank Post

I wonder if Callum has considered moving....?

Quote Originally Posted by Diello
    Whilst comments on the dire state of IT pay in schools is a valid topic - it's not really fair to hijack someone's job advert is it? At the end of the day, it's not their fault.
    My sentiments exactly - I was just a little miffed to say the least, enough so I reported this to the moderators - maybe this needs to be a pre-moderated forum in future so that adverts can be placed, by moderators, and no-one can post comments which detract attention away from such?

Maybe I'm being over sensitive, but Ringmer is such a great place to work, I can't help being a bit defensive!

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    East Sussex grade a Senior Technician ICT at SO1-SO2 £ 23175 - £ 26928, Technician is generally NJC 5-6 and jnr tech is approx NJC 4-5 (14k)

You really need to speak to your LA about this or you may find whoever you employ will make an equal pay claim against a TA or another technican - and on that salary they win.
    Do you have a contact number?

Whilst I don't set the salaries (I just work here!) i can pass this info on to interested parties, 'cos I'm sure if they are doing it wrong, they'd like to rectify the situation.

I'd also like to check i'm being paid accordingly 8O

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I'll PM you tonight.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Diello
    Maybe I'm being over sensitive, but Ringmer is such a great place to work, I can't help being a bit defensive!
    You are both right, and I do apologise. I'd defend my school to the hilt as well. The comments were not aimed at you directly, just that I believe the state of ICT pay in schools is, quite frankly in my opinion, disgusting. And that covers ancillary staff at all levels of ICT support.

I love working here, my biggest gripe is the state our pay is in. Widely varying across the country, while most of the ICT Technicians / Network Managers etc look out into industry and see that people who work there are paid an awful lot more and for doing, in most cases, a smaller percentage than what we do.

I know that "having a bad day" is not an excuse but I'm fighting here to get my technician more pay for the last 6 months as what he does is very close to my job now, but he is still only paid a pittance.

I also agree that perhaps the job advert area should be moderated, or perhaps even that the advert is PM / e-mailed to the moderator, checked and then posted as a locked thread. I'd be the first to put my name forward to do that as atonement for my childish behaviour.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12