+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational IT Jobs Thread, First ICT tech Job in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; For your first few weeks: any time anyone asks if they can have $newEquipment or access to $thisSystem, your response ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For your first few weeks: any time anyone asks if they can have $newEquipment or access to $thisSystem, your response is "I'll talk to my manager for you." There will be lingering issues where people have asked for things, been rebuffed for whatever sensible reason, and they will see you as another crack at getting what they want because you won't know the history. Just smile, nod, and commit to nothing.

Forever: get used to talking simply. There are still teachers that are not, shall we say, technically inclined, which is fair enough; some of them have been at this longer than you'll have been alive. Even without them, you will have to deal with a range of users from 11 - 70, so get used to talking simply. You'll soon learn who you can go into detail with.

And good luck, soldier, it's a warzone out there salute.gif (that should really be a smiley on here all the time)

2. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

RjMaJay (21st March 2013)

Thank Post
    First of all, congrats on the new job,

Second of all, it may take a couple of weeks to really get into the swing of things and you may not be able to be on your own until your CRB clears (assuming you don't have one already) so until it starts picking up, make sure you shadow your colleagues and pick up on things that will soon become your norm.

After a couple of weeks, you will find it will pick up pace, you will get some teachers who will not know anything about IT and will call up for any job going and then you will get people that know how to do it but don't have the time to, key thing I found, was to be patient, as I say, you will get the odd one that will annoy you every time they ring.

Normally I find that exam times and beginning of a new term are the busiest times for us, with end of terms being very calm (as normally everyone's watching DVD's) haha

This is just what I have found in my job, but as everyone is saying, it maybe different for you.

Don't worry, if at any time you don't know what to do/stuck on something, post up on here, there will always be someone that can help with anything you need.

4. Thanks to andrew_91090 from:

Thank Post
    Another tip, I get staff to sign for memory sticks, new email address sheets etc. The reason is some will later say, Ive never been given an email address or stick and so out comes the signed list to prove otherwise.

6. Thanks to paulellam from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulellam View Post
    Another tip, I get staff to sign for memory sticks, new email address sheets etc. The reason is some will later say, Ive never been given an email address or stick and so out comes the signed list to prove otherwise.
    Hopefully the existing team will already have such a thing in place - we don't allow anything out or changed without them completing a form.

8. Thanks to Gibson335 from:

Thank Post
    Congratulations! And welcome to the Dark Side!

Mwhaa haaaaa haaaaaaaaaar!

10. Thanks to happymeal from:

Thank Post
    Hi all, thanks for all the advice been in today to hand all the forms in crb etc start on Monday

Thank Post
    So first couple of weeks out the way, Really enjoying it Nothing to troubling thrown at me. I can see it been a good place to learn a variety of bits which is good.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12