+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational IT Jobs Thread, Paid breaks/lunchbreaks? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; How many of you don't get paid breaks and lunch-breaks? Is it standard practice for people who are employed part-time ...
    Thank Post

Paid breaks/lunchbreaks?

How many of you don't get paid breaks and lunch-breaks? Is it standard practice for people who are employed part-time term-time in schools?

(I hope this is the right forum for this - it's not a job, but it is job related.)

Thanks,
    Duncan.

Thank Post

Re: Paid breaks/lunchbreaks?

I think you'll find it's standard conditions for most employeers. For us at least, 37 hour week involves a half hour unpaid lunch break.

Thank Post

I get paid a set wage per month and the hours worked are 37.5 per week with an hour unpaid lunch per day...

I can get paid for lunch if I do duty......

I normally end up working around 40 - 45 hours a week for the same wage anyway...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit

I normally end up working around 40 - 45 hours a week for the same wage anyway...
    Ditto....

Thank Post

I guess I'm just annoyed.

Somewhere along the line (because I tend to get in early) I've been working from 8.30, rather than 8.50, through to 3.15. I'm annoyed with myself for making the mistake, but equally annoyed that I've actually been given tasks that have to be done *before* 8.50 anyway.

I nearly always work through break, and occasionally in lunch (because sometimes you can't get access to the required rooms outside that time). My contracted time is 27.5 hours (obviously that excludes the 55 minutes for break/lunch) term-time, and I earn about 9k a year (before tax).

Bah, I just feel hard done by. Curse the long summer holidays - it gives me time to think about my lot in life :-)

Thank Post

i think everyone ends up working longer than you get paid for,

all you can do is keep a note of what extra you do, then present it to your manager and say i either want paying for this, time off or tell him/her that in future im not doing this extra time because i dont get paid for it....

Thank Post

I am "flexi-time", at 35 hours per week, FT.

I make up for the 8am-5pm days during the term, by doing 10am-3pm during the holidays...

I've never been told exactly whether I am paid for lunch or not, I kinda assumed I was, I usually take an hour (or at least I lurk around out of my office for an hour, but usually end up doing support).

I'm actually managing to start work later at 9am recently, 'cause there are more techs now, and I can get away with later starts, as one person starts at 7am (and leaves at 3pm ish).

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by duncane
    My contracted time is 27.5 hours (obviously that excludes the 55 minutes for break/lunch) term-time, and I earn about 9k a year (before tax).
    oh dear, i thought i used to get paid bad....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

My colleague and I are supposed to start work at 8:30 but we usually get in around 8:10/8:15. We take the phones off the hook until 8:30 and shut the office door until bang on 8:30 as well. It took them a few weeks but they eventually got the message 8O

We never have time for the morning break and lunchtimes are a hit and miss affair.

We do make a point of making sure we always exit the building at bang on 4:30pm.

Despite this we always seem to end up spending a couple of hours most evenings remoting in to do stuff. At least there's no-one around to whinge whilst we do it.

We love the holidays as we're left to get on with it and can usually come and go as we please - usually finding that we actually put in more hours as there's less stress.

Thank Post

As far as I am aware ... Unless you have a contract that says different the deal with breaks is as follows.

Under old H&S rules
    You were entitled to a 5 minutes break for every hour of work done.
    Thus by 10:30 ish you are entitlied to a 10 minutes coffee brk, same in the afternoon.
    ALL employed staff are REQUIRED to take a MID SHIFT break (lunch break to day workers). this break MUST be no less than 30 minutes and is taken OUTSIDE the working day (ie unpaid)

So if you start at 08:30
    break for lunch at 12:00 till 12:30
    afternoon session 12:30 til 16:30

You are doing a 7.5 hour paid working day. thus 37.5hrs per week.

However as most of us are DSE Users (within the confines of the new DSE Regulations) Our management are supposed to ensure that our working day are split up in such a way that no more than 1 hour at a time is spent infront of a screen. Then there should be work detailed that takes us away from the screen environment for at least 5 minutes.

All this is of course down to management to organise.... and as we all know that is foobar :?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

That works unless your responsible for DSE then its down to you to solve. And under the newest rules anyone that uses a computer is covered by DSE , so its flipped round as it were from the old you need to prove you are.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yup that's right Marvintpa. By law you must take 30 minutes lunch break. The entitlement to breaks is as far as i'm aware dependant upon the length of a 'shift'. If you a work 4 hour stretch you're entitled to 15 minutes paid break (IIRC).

I tend to work most lunchtimes and grab a break when I can.

richard

I'm so used to eating whilst working that I tend not to bother with breaks anymore that includes both coffee and lunch.

Thank Post

How many of us actually end up working unpaid through school holidays as it is easier for us to work on things when the children and teachers are not in hassling us constantly.
    How many of us get called in unpaid at holiday time to fix PCs because the odd teacher wishes to come in.
    My vote is:
    Paid call out and attendance
    Proper school shutdown times
    Training for teachers in the use of IT that is compulsory.
    How can we expect individuals who left school, went straight to college then straight into teaching 10 20 or 30 years ago to keep abreast of modern developments?
    There are some exceptions to this and to those apologies and keep up the good work, just spread your knowledge and enthuse your fellow professionals.
    Also remember that from cleaner to headteacher we are all professionals in our own right and we all deserve to be treated with equality and respect.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by exsupport
    Proper school shutdown times
    ROFL at the thought of my Head buying that one....

He thinks computers fix themselves.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast