+ Post New Thread
Educational IT Jobs Thread, ICT technician advice in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hello everyone! I am a recent graduate from college who earned a foundation degree in network infrastructure. I have left ...

Thank Post

ICT technician advice

Hello everyone!

I am a recent graduate from college who earned a foundation degree in network infrastructure. I have left my job (not IT related) in August hoping to find a new career in IT and have spent some time trying to apply for jobs (mainly through sites like Jobserve, CWJobs, etc), however so far this did not prove particularly successful.

Just wondering if I could get some advice from the forum members please – not entirely sure what to do next to be honest. I am happy to volunteer my time in return for experience, but again had no luck when contacting a few of my local schools and companies.

I have a great interest in the world of IT, a good IT skill set and one day I am hoping to find employment in this field as an ICT technician. I already have some relevant IT experience, but this is not particularly recent.

I would be grateful for any advice or if anyone knows of any volunteering opportunities in the Yorkshire area, I would also greatly appreciate any support there.

Just to give you a bit of idea of my background, here's the link to my CV – click.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by am3rig0; 26th November 2012 at 11:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    The jobs market is VERY slow at the moment. To be honest, while you are out of your ideal line of work try to get a job doing something else. It doesn't matter what the job is, it'll show that you are capable of getting out of bed in the morning and turning up to work come rain or shine and that you are capable of working with other people... and you'll get a reference!

There are seasonal posts in the pipeline at this time of year: shelf stacking in supermarkets, sorting post for Royal Mail, etc. Try to get one... the money will be handy too.

As for voluntary work in schools, keep trying. The times when extra hands are needed are often during the holidays... Easter and the summer in particular. It's not unusual for schools to be replacing 50 or so machines and having someone come in to help unpack boxes and plug stuff together is a good starting point. It's more difficult in term time as you would have to be CRB checked by the school. It's not impossible though as volunteer CRBs are free

Don't forget the private schools and universities and colleges round you, they welcome voluntary help too when they have projects on!

3. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

am3rig0 (27th November 2012)

Thank Post
    As above says,

Find a job in any area and keep trying with the volunteer work

I was in same sort of position after I finished college, but i kept my job as a retail monkey until I found my previous job.

5. Thanks to hardtailstar from:

Thank Post
    I got my first job as a Junior IT Technician by using Eteach - Teaching Jobs, Teaching Jobs London, Supply Teaching, Academic Education Vacancies (you might have got the same luck as me). jobsgopublic - Public Sector Jobs and Careers and Jobs | Job Search | UK Jobs & International Vacancies Online - jobs.ac.uk are good one.

I agree with hardtailstar and elsiegee40. Use your time to look for a retail job as well. To be specific Sales Advisor or Consultant in mobile phone shop. This sort of experience will help you to demonstrate your communication and problem solving skills, which required for Helpdesk Technician or similar.

Your Foundation Degree will help you to differentiate yourself with other candidates and based on my experience, you need to know what you are talking about, if you do not know, you just be honest and demonstrate that you are willing learn.

7. Thanks to supawat1 from:

Thank Post
    Always look on council websites near your area for jobs as well, and have email alerts set-up on them.

Also some ICT Tech jobs come under the "Education based - support staff" section, not always the ICT bit.

9. Thanks to blunty91 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Your CV, whilst containing the right stuff, is too large and it is difficult to see the info at first glance. Dont put in the personal bit as it just takes up space. Follow the way an application form is laid out if poss. If you want to apply to a school they will want an application form anyway - DON'T send your CV as well - they won't appreciate it.
    Any more CV advice needed - just pm me

11. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Good morning!

Thank you all for taking time to respond to my post - really a lot of useful advice there so thanks again.

Even though my routine haven't changed all that much since I stopped working and I still get up early in the morning and try to looks for jobs & work on my IT skills (recently working towards my CCNA and building a home fibre channel SAN - you never know when the experience will come in handy!), I appreciate that potential employers might see the gap in the employment as a negative so will have to start looking around for just any job to keep me occupied! I've spent last 4 years working for the NHS and 2 years in retail before, so hopefully this experience will help to find anything!

I will also have another look at my CV and try to make it a little bit more focused, following witch's advice.

I imagine there's a lot of other people looking for jobs out there and with the market being slow and my lack of recent and relevant experience, it just might take time. But I am not planning to give up and hopefully something will come up soon.

Once again thank you all for responding to my post, it's much appreciated!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread