+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Educational IT Jobs Thread, How do you cover short/medium term planned absence of an IT support member? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I'm trying to put together a request to take a few months unpaid leave to visit my Dad and his ...
  1. #1
    ben604's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Thank Post
    Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power

    How do you cover short/medium term planned absence of an IT support member?

    I'm trying to put together a request to take a few months unpaid leave to visit my Dad and his family over in New Zealand in the New Year.

    I'm trying to ensure there's as little disruption to the school as possible in the hope that they'll look more favorably on my request if I've at least considered the options.

    How would/do you go about covering planned absence?

    I'm the IT tech here, I have a NM (@reggiep) above me, so there is "cover" in the form of him, he obviously knows the network inside out, but I do a few AV things that he may be less comfortable with.

    To be honest, we've done a lot of "big" projects over the summer, including commissioning a new domain which is working really well, so we're just consolidating and tweaking that at the moment, along with the usual firefighting when it arises, so he would be fine by himself (which he's admitted), but I'm not sure they'll go for that...any thoughts would be most welcome.


  2. #2

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    Depends when it happens - I did exactly that a few years ago at my old place and luckily they did without me for the 6 weeks term time. As i was in charge of the development stuff and moving things forward initially when I had this time off.


  3. Thanks to glennda from:

    ben604 (15th November 2012)

  4. #3

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rep Power
    With a small team its a hard call, here when some takes time off we all take on a few extra jobs. There is 4 of us though its allot more flexible that way.

  5. #4

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Thank Post
    Thanked 796 Times in 605 Posts
    Rep Power
    Are there any vaguely competent ETA's or anything who could help out?
    Can another local school help?
    Can the LEA help?
    Employment agency temp contract?
    IT Support provider?

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Thank Post
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    This ones easy Ben.

    Give Education Support Profesionals a call, we have IT engineers with education experience and CRB cleared available for interim cover.

    Here's our website ESP - Education Support Professionals
    Please give us a call.


+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. How do you like to keep cool during these hot spells?
    By ninjabeaver in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 28th July 2013, 11:03 PM
  2. ICT Replacement Plan for the next 3 years. How do you do it?
    By tj2419 in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23rd November 2011, 11:28 PM
  3. [SIMS] How do you create a definition file for extraction of MIS data?
    By speckytecky in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th November 2011, 07:29 AM
  4. Printer Consumables... How do you do it!!!!
    By ChrisH in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 5th July 2005, 01:31 PM
  5. How do you do.....it?
    By Dos_Box in forum General EduGeek News/Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th June 2005, 11:32 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts