+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, Expressions of interest in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Had a call from kcom at one of my primary schools asking about their quote today. Apparently they were wanting ...
    Thank Post

Expressions of interest

Had a call from kcom at one of my primary schools asking about their quote today. Apparently they were wanting all schools to make an expression of interest by the 30th April - not sure where that date's come from!?!

Anyway, it got my thinking .... the primary schools I work in are all waiting to see what other schools are doing and it seems like no one wants to be the first to make a decision. Is anyone willing to nail their colours to the mast in terms of what connectivity and what software services they are going for?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Very specifically headed for Schools Broadband for secondary and primary connectivity here. RM will get a few with their pricing however the addition bolt ons for the little niceties soon add up in cost. Kcom + Capita's pricing, although modular isn't winning much support in pricing terms however may well do with those that just can't be bothered with any changeover hassle.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post
    Had a call from kcom at one of my primary schools asking about their quote today. Apparently they were wanting all schools to make an expression of interest by the 30th April - not sure where that date's come from!?!

Anyway, it got my thinking .... the primary schools I work in are all waiting to see what other schools are doing and it seems like no one wants to be the first to make a decision. Is anyone willing to nail their colours to the mast in terms of what connectivity and what software services they are going for?
    This has been posted on EIS numerous times, and letters have been sent out about it too.

Why do you not join up as schools and go to market together to get the best pricing - then decide whether you want to go with KCom's offering or your own found solution? Obviously somebody will need to take lead role in doing this but at least that way you all know where you stand and know you're getting best value for money.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 10th May 2012 at 09:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Why do you not join up as schools and go to market together to get the best pricing - then decide whether you want to go with KCom's offering or your own found solution? Obviously somebody will need to take lead role in doing this but at least that way you all know where you stand and know you're getting best value for money.
    This is a really good question .... and at the moment it seems that it's because the headteachers don't want to have to think about this issue and are therefore delaying (or in one case ignoring!) it. And also because the price from kcom may change so it's hard to know what the best deal is! But yes, there's some food for thought on that one, especially as two of the schools that I work at are on the same exchange.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post
    This is a really good question .... and at the moment it seems that it's because the headteachers don't want to have to think about this issue and are therefore delaying (or in one case ignoring!) it. And also because the price from kcom may change so it's hard to know what the best deal is! But yes, there's some food for thought on that one, especially as two of the schools that I work at are on the same exchange.
    Taking a back seat really isn't the answer. Orders with Kcom are to be placed at the beginning of June I believe.

Connections won't change over themselves, and these things don't happen overnight. Especially if you choose to go your own way.

Your schools may be doing themselves no favours by sitting on this...

The best deal isn't necessarily just about price. It's about features, support and management of too.

Edit: See https://portal.leics.embc.uk.com/eis...s%2FAll%2Easpx
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 10th May 2012 at 11:49 AM.

Thank Post
    That date was set when first prices were released. They will base final costs on replies, and release those costs by the end of this month. It's only an expression of interest, after all.

Mind you, now there's 'embc direct' to consider, too - a bit late in the day but may suit some.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    Mind you, now there's 'embc direct' to consider, too - a bit late in the day but may suit some.
    Wait what's 'embc direct'!?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Wait what's 'embc direct'!?
    Here you go:

embc direct

9. 2 Thanks to Gibson335:

kaphc (11th May 2012), sparkeh (10th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here you go:

embc direct
    Whaaaaaat?!
    Sweet Jesus! Just when I thought I had this thing nailed down >:-o

Thank Post
    Whaaaaaat?!
    Sweet Jesus! Just when I thought I had this thing nailed down >:-o
    Yeah - I know what you mean. I have asked for further info before the meeting in Leicester next Tuesday, but I suspect they may wait to clarify there.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks @TonyJF - I will also be at that meeting, with a few extra questions now!

Thank Post
    Thanks @TonyJF - I will also be at that meeting, with a few extra questions now!
    Yeah, you and everyone else there, I suspect. I know what my best-case and worst-case costs are for the Capita-KCOM solution that we need, so if they can improve on that with a one-stop solution then I won't be complaining.

Thank Post
    Incidentally in the latest embc bulletin / newsletter, it says "schools are encouraged to place their orders by the end of June 2012" [from the empsn/embc framework] so that fits in well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just to confirm what was said about going in as a group, a group of our schools (some not entirely local, just primaries I support, and some of their links too) went together - we all got quotes separately and ended up going for SB with a significant discount thanks to bulk buying power. Worth doing, even if it's just network managers and/or business managers getting heads together. It works.

Thank Post
    Yeah - I know what you mean. I have asked for further info before the meeting in Leicester next Tuesday, but I suspect they may wait to clarify there.
    Is this meeting for county schools only?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast