+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, schoolsbroadband.co.uk in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Originally Posted by Edu-IT Another solution is to move your domain to somewhere like CS New Media, where you don't ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,662 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Another solution is to move your domain to somewhere like CS New Media, where you don't then have to rely on EMBC (or any other provider) to make the changes. You can login, do it yourself, and boom.

And oh, you lost connectivity? We at least had some.
    Yea, getting services 'unmanaged' is usually the fist thing to do for a responsive network, at least here. If they manage it then you are subject to their - the management companies - flimsy promises, sliding timescales and nooses or red tape. The MoE here is trying to make their own little walled garden which will force management onto its subscribers who will have to subscribe to get to the content. My main issue is that usually managed services, in all of my experience are slow, rubbish, restrictive and expensive while providing very little benefit to anyone who can identify and use a patch lead all by themselves.

You do need to keep track of all the suppliers and logons though which is the sole disadvantage. The last thing I want is some dropkick from the MoE forcing me to run 2022 devices in a subnet or putting 50 schools in the same broadcast domain because they can't figure out the basics of routing themselves let alone cope with schools using internal routing that they can summarise.

management = mediocrity at best as it is generally a lowest common denominator system.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 8th October 2012 at 03:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's worth noting that with at least 2 providers I know (M247, Talk Straight) you get full management of your domain. The respective companies will be more than happy to help with changes that need making but obviously the option is there.

Naturally when making any changes a full changelog should be kept and config backups also kept to hand and updated. But that's common sense.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    And oh, you lost connectivity? We at least had some.
    Yup, entirely. Lovely day in the office, it was unusually quiet and very productive!

Thank Post
    Hi Synaesthesia,

a little bird told me your new leased line from us today went live but you were ill so couldn't see it in action on its first day?!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    Hi Synaesthesia,

a little bird told me your new leased line from us today went live but you were ill so couldn't see it in action on its first day?!
    What are you using to filter your new connection, just out of interest?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    True Sat at home all day. A little time with the kids but when too ill to move it's not very nice

I still couldn't resist a play from home - at least I could do some VPN testing, mail performance tests etc from here
    @Edu-IT - Fortigate - a 100D box. My previous experience of the smaller Fortigate stuff in my primaries has been good for web filtering so no reason to believe this will be any different. We've one concern over the email filtering though (don't know if this was raised with Dan @ SB yesterday) but we'll be looking into that in due course (basically we can't seem to find a way for senders and recipients to be notified their email has been filtered/blocked or held in a quarantine). Hoping we don't have to get another product in for that.

Thank Post
    I'm not sure if that can be done or not. Dan is in Loughborough and then Northamptonshire on Friday so I'll get one of my other techs to look into it for you.

Any more feedback is greatly appreciated

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123