+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, schoolsbroadband.co.uk in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Hi, We are moving four schools over to SchoolsBroadband at the moment in South Derbyshire - All is looking good ...
    Thank Post
    Hi,

We are moving four schools over to SchoolsBroadband at the moment in South Derbyshire - All is looking good so far - The only issues were with the BT guys as SB give you a new line. In one case a pole outside wasn't planted deep enough for another cable.... However, all sorted now.
    Actually it's all happened pretty quickly and the SB contact is very helpful.
    The hardware goes in easy enough - But be ready as there is no proxy afterwards, make sure you know who will need a tweak with their gear, but on the plus side, no more Home/School proxy scripts!
    The filtering will definitely need tweaking, but looks good and efficient.We are going to move to Office 365 for email hosting (365 for Education setup is a pain at times but worth it), we set up some org.uk domains with one.com (10.80 per year), just to get the ball rolling as you can add your .sch.uk when it gets transferred.

I would be interested in any advice from folks who have experience migrating from the EMBC OWA as I guess downloading to a local Outlook and creating a .pst is going to be a pain in the posterior.....
    If anyone needs any advice about the Schools Broadband process - please let me know..

sjb

Thank Post
    Actually migrating from OWA to Live@edu was surprisingly easy - just had to make a CSV file of the user email addresses and passwords and live@edu moved everything across automatically. Assume there is a similar process for Office 365.

3. Thanks to sjb from:

Progress (8th October 2012)

ttw

Thank Post
    It's actually very easy - all you need to do is add your new users using a.CSV file (Microsoft even supply a master for you!), allocate the licences, and then log in as each user (or explain to them what they have to do), and in the Outlook options there is a section "See all your emails in one place". Enter the account details using the .embc.uk.com alias - not the domain email address - and Office 365 will go and find the email account, and synchronise the two mail boxes. Not just the inbox - it also synchronises the sent items, drafts and so on. I'm working on a simple guide at the moment, for one of my schools to be able to do it themselves. You don't have to wait for the domain name to be transferred - the MXR will ensure that existing mail is sent to the EMBC box, but Office 365 will keep synchronising and showing the mail coming in. And if something is deleted from the old box, it doesn't appear to be removed from Office... It's made my life a lot easier!

Contacts are a different matter - I haven't found a way of automating that yet.

5. Thanks to ttw from:

Progress (8th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    *head bangs on desk* Just spent a fair few hours manually making PST files and copying across yesterday!

1 warning - mailbox limit is 100mb! Ask them to raise that as priority otherwise anyone with more than 4 emails might be upset.
    Also make sure you pre-organise the moving of MX records from your previous provider so domains get moved over nice and quickly.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

your schools will have received an information from our support department regarding transferring the TAG of the domain from EMBC to us. This may have gone to your head / bursar and they may not have passed it on.

If you call our support department on 01133222333 option 2 they'll be happy to pass the instructions on. Don't worry it's a piece of cake to do and is normally completed within 48 hours after you've sent the email to EMBC requesting the TAG change.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I hasten to add the turnaround time at embc is up to 5 days as its not high priority so do get them sorted soon.

Thank Post
    Anyone in the Birmingham area converted to SchoolsBroadband?

How do you get around the required S2S connections?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I hasten to add the turnaround time at embc is up to 5 days as its not high priority so do get them sorted soon.
    Had mine changed in <24 hours.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps you shouted louder than me

Positive note - I'm glad we're moving away from EMBC after this mornings fiasco. Ridiculous.

Thank Post

schoolsbroadband.co.uk

Haha! Oh their latest email to me will result in some shouting for sure!

Who are you moving to? I assume you mean the slow connectivity?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    I assume you mean the slow connectivity?
    I think he means lack of any connectivity... If we hadn't already migrated over to our new provider we'd have been in the same situation.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Indeed. Back up now but 12 hours of downtime isn't particularly good. We're moving to School's Broadband Line is physically in place, just waiting for the routers and stuff now
    Strikes me as not particularly good service from a company "testing" a migration live and watching it cock up in such a large way. I realise with timing it may have cut things close but perhaps they should have done that at half term, but of course there may be other reasons for it. To be fair it's one (very large) blemish on connectivity reliability and stability so can't shout too much.
    I do however have to question service times, even though neither my own school or the primaries I look after are staying with EMBC. OK they won't have such a large service team but having to prioritise workloads in such a way that it could take days for an MX record change - something that can be done in a couple of minutes (and is done in a couple of minutes, whilst on the phone to any other provider (although granted if that provider is Virgin, it'll take 2 hours to find someone who knows what the Internet is, and another hour to find one that knows what an MX record is)).
    But that's all inner workings of something we don't fully understand. Hey-ho.

*disclaimer - this is the opinion of me, not my school or my professional undertaking as a technician yadda yadda yadda

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A general comment to raise a few things to clear some possible misconceptions about how SLAs work, and this applies across many, many providers of a range of services.

1 - SLAs in this particular contract are those agreed by embc, the LAs and the providers. Service Changes are a lower priority to service faults. They are set as such within the SLAs and depending on other work can be done pretty quickly or take the fully specified time within the SLA. This is nothing new to most people.

2 - When people complain about it taking ages for something to be done (in this case DNS) please check that a) you have checked it is has actually been done and it is not just a case that *you* haven't been informed as another named contact (ie the one specified on the call) might have all the info and just not passed it on yet because *they* are up to their necks with things in the school or b) the thing you want changing actually sits with that provider and not someone else. E.G. There is no point asking for a zonefile or an entry change for a domain where the NS is already moved away from the ISP, in the same way there is no point asking to register a domain already belonging to someone else.

Good documentation within your school will help deal with some of the above problems (eg what services are where) and with all the changes that are going on I would strongly recommend that you update your own in-house documentation and not 100% rely on that held by your service providers. It is your responsibility to do this ... if there are discrepancies between the information in the documentation then you find the right info and make sure both records (yours and the service provider's) is updated accordingly.

Try to make sure that you are clear with the different SPs about which services sit where ... there is nothing worse that spending ages trying to work out why a service you have been told by your client should be with you when you can find no order record, nothing in your CMDB and they are adamant it is ... only to find that someone else does it.

DNS is a key area here ... with Mail being in one place (e.g. Office 365 / Google Apps), Web hosting in another (CSNewMedia, FarceHosts, etc), remote access to the school covered by yourselves ... and DNS by yet another provider (who may not even be your ISP.

I know that this, for some, will be about introducing an ageing female relative to an ovum vacuum endeavour (I'm sure I've used that joke before!!!) but it still worries me with things I am seeing going wrong or with the potential to go wrong the first few days in November ... and mainly down to people not thinking about what they are doing. This is not limited to broadband and swapping services, but covers a lot of areas within schools ...
    Last edited by GrumbleDook; 8th October 2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: edited to show that this covers a range of examples that have happened with a wide variety of schools.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Grumbledook, I'd much rather this was discussed via email directly with me. I'd much rather own up to my own mistake than having a 3rd party berate me for it but didn't get a chance to do so.
    Thread is already derailed as it is. Can't argue over the importance of communication but the big beef raised here was the connectivity issues last week. I made my opinion known that "up to" (important speech marking there) 5 day priority on a small job wasn't particularly impressive, it doesn't need comeback. (aware of many 2 minutes becomes 1 large job etc) The consequence of a small mistake is down to me and that particular school only and at no point has that particular issue been brought up on Edugeek or otherwise publicly.

Thank Post
    Another solution is to move your domain to somewhere like CS New Media, where you don't then have to rely on EMBC (or any other provider) to make the changes. You can login, do it yourself, and boom.

And oh, you lost connectivity? We at least had some.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast