+ Post New Thread
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, Leaving EMBC in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Looks like we are going to be switching to Schools Broadband in November. Who do we inform at EMBC that ...
    Thank Post

Question Leaving EMBC

Looks like we are going to be switching to Schools Broadband in November.

Who do we inform at EMBC that we have found an alternative, and hence don't want to renew? I know if we did nothing them would auto renew the contract, but how would them know???

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They don't need to. You are not obliged to do anything other than deal with your new supplier. Even if you did "renew" it wouldn't be with EMBC as it won't exist in that capacity.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Informally? ... drop me a note at work. If anyone in Northants has any question about the existing contract (e.g. transition, management, performance, change of service, etc) please remember that there are still folk at the LA you can chat with. I'll put up a longer message tomorrow from the work account ... and this will vary from LA to LA.

Thank Post
    Can someone that has left or is about to leave EMBC please let me know what happened with their Cisco VLAN switch please. My knowledge is limited so please be patient. We have two networks, two sets of ip addresses. Currently the VLan separates the two but as we don't have the configuration details how can the new BB supplier keep them seperate? I have been in touch with our LA to be told that the switch can be reset but that then leaves it down to me to reconfig it (no hope there!) As a matter of interest the admin network is only peer to peer but the curricullum is 2008 server. Do I need to keep the two networks separate?
    hope this makes sense and someone can advise as currently I feel like I'm drowning in info

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Separate networks are pretty much a thing of the past, especially with MIS in classrooms etc.
    However the Cisco kit belongs to EMBC therefore would be returned to them - however it strikes me as odd they won't share the configuration with you... Would suggest asking someone else there!

Of course support there is great. You email them once and you get 3 emails in return - one to say we've got your email, another to say they've got your email and another to say they've got your email!

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info, I was told by our LA that the router is theirs but the VLAN switch was paid for by the school so belongs to the school. My schools don't use MIS in the classroom so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    My schools don't use MIS in the classroom so that shouldn't be an issue.
    Sure, but the point is you don't really need the faff of setting up two networks with your new provider.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    Can someone that has left or is about to leave EMBC please let me know what happened with their Cisco VLAN switch please. My knowledge is limited so please be patient. We have two networks, two sets of ip addresses. Currently the VLan separates the two but as we don't have the configuration details how can the new BB supplier keep them seperate? I have been in touch with our LA to be told that the switch can be reset but that then leaves it down to me to reconfig it (no hope there!) As a matter of interest the admin network is only peer to peer but the curricullum is 2008 server. Do I need to keep the two networks separate?
    hope this makes sense and someone can advise as currently I feel like I'm drowning in info
    Hi guys,

I've heard different things from different schools. Some seem to have bought the Cisco switch where as others need to give it back. I'd suggest asking EMBC. I'd also recommend letting EMBC know you are going to be leaving. GrumbleDook is right, the council are still being helpful to schools in giving advice whether you use us or another provider.

Just to let you know if you want to keep a VLAN configuration you can. We've had some schools that flatten their network to one IP range but others that wish to keep separate VLANs. The Fortigates we install are VLAN capable so you don't have to change your network if you don't want to

If you've got any specific questions about moving from EMBC to us or to another provider I'd be more than happy to help.

Thanks

Dave

Thank Post
    If the switch has not been flattend then just back door it, change the settings that you want and apply a new password.

Easy enough.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Please remember that different LAs have different setups. Ideally you will need to speak with your LA to verify what happens with each bit of kit. There is still interesting discussions to be had about the need for security and keeping good levels of access control with regards your network. Most will say having separate admin / curriculum is a waste of time, others will be happy to keep it this way.

Many Northants schools have moved, or are moving, to a single network as previous advice on good practice for protecting your network (remember the eCAF training anyone?) works for 1 or 2 VLANs / networks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread